So apparently, it is very easy to change a Buddy rear wheel

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mike932

So apparently, it is very easy to change a Buddy rear wheel

Post by mike932 »

I just learned that I can remove the rear wheel by removing 5 screws from the wheel just like a car wheel instead of removing the axle nut. This is awesome. Is Buddy the only brand that has wheels like this?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I suggest you mark the wheel with respect to the hub before removing it so you put it back where it was.
Belts and braces!
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Here's the very helpful link where I learned to remove the wheel....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHsmJQ8EGnc
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

If you still have to take the exhaust off (the hard part of the job), then why bother with 5 or 6 fasteners instead of one? It's designed to be removed with the one bolt, right?

I think I tried to remove those bolts the first time, but they didn't budge.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

This method might work better if you only have a hobby set of ratcheting socket wrenches. The bolts that are removed in the video are 12mm (I believe that is what he said) vice the center axle nut being 24mm (or somewhere in that range). Most hobby sets of socket wrenches don't include a socket this big. Also, removing the center nut works best when you use a powered impact wrench, something that many folks don't have either.

I don't believe that this method would work on the Buddy 50 however since the wheel is a solid wheel without the 5 or 6 bolts.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Hey I did not mind removing the one center axle nut. Gave me a reason to get more tools. :D
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Hmm... it's very possible that I used my impact wrench the last time, so that could be why I just removed the whole wheel.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I remove the center nut with an el cheapo Horror Fraught impact wrench because my tire changing rig from the same source uses the smaller center hole. I would suspect most shops would require it to change the tire also.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!