15 mile commute

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

unklsteve

15 mile commute

Post by unklsteve »

Hi Everyone!

I'm about to pull the trigger and make the transition from a motorcycle to a scooter. I've decided that it's going to be a Genuine, but I'm torn on which model. My primary goal is to one-up commute 15 miles each way to work, on paved back roads. I'm in Michigan. I will only have a passenger once, maybe twice a week for in-town (3 miles or less) jaunts out to eat, or to run errands. I can afford any of the Genuine models, as the sale of my Kawasaki will put any of them in reach, so price is not the issue. I need some experienced owner's advice on which model is going to best suit me for this length of a commute. I weight 180#, am 6 foot tall, and have ridden motorcycles for 25 years. I have ridden scooters fairly often while on vacation in Mexico, and I have no idea how many cc's they were, but they all did 45 mph. I have this thing stuck in my head about the 49cc versions not needing insurance, a significant cost savings, but that's not the deal-breaker either. I am confused and need the experience of all of you seasoned riders. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

- S
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

For 30 miles a day and two up I would go with a Blur 220i. It is a sport scooter. Not for everyone but that is a perfect distance for it.

It's pretty comfortable two up...the Buddy is very tight 2 up.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

You didn't mention the speed limit of the roads you will commute on. Stock 50cc scoots are limited to 35mph, but a derestricted two stroke will do 45 or better. Buddy 125 cruises at 50 mph and the Buddy 170i around 60.
If you plan to carry a passenger often, I agree that the Blur 220 would work best.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Syd

Post by Syd »

You should check the motorcycle laws in your state on registration/insurance for 50cc scoots. In my state, AZ, everything must be licensed and registered and insured. (Unless it's a true moped, with working pedals.)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
unklsteve

Post by unklsteve »

The state of Michigan does not require insurance below 50cc. As I stated in the original post, I'm one-up for the commute, never two up. I would have occasional 2-up for very short rides of less than three miles, and only once or twice a week. The nearest Genuine dealer is over an hour from home, so I'm hoping to get a fair bit of feedback before I drive down there next weekend with a trailer.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

unklsteve wrote:The state of Michigan does not require insurance below 50cc.
The question is not really whether the State of Michigan requires insurance, but whether you wish to ride without insurance. I am not talking collision - that is your call regardless of the size of the bike. I am talking liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist. The risk to you and your property from riding without liability insurance is something I would advise you to avoid. Whatever level of liability you have on other insurance policies to protect your income and property is probably what you want on a scooter as well.

And you didn't talk about likely speeds, but I'd guess you want to be at least up in the 125/170 range for a 15 mile rural daily commute.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I'm 6 feet and have a Buddy 125. Works great for what you're talking about. I can cruise easily at 50 or 55. My 5'9" wife fits fine on back for short jaunts. But, I'm 160 pounds and she's 120. So being thin probably helps. It's tight though.

If the roads are poorly maintained with giant potholes, you might consider the Hooligan and it's 12" tires. But, I don't know if it's good for someone 6'.
Syd

Post by Syd »

unklsteve wrote:The state of Michigan does not require insurance below 50cc. As I stated in the original post, I'm one-up for the commute, never two up. I would have occasional 2-up for very short rides of less than three miles, and only once or twice a week. The nearest Genuine dealer is over an hour from home, so I'm hoping to get a fair bit of feedback before I drive down there next weekend with a trailer.
I misread
I have this thing stuck in my head about the 49cc versions not needing insurance
as being unsure.

Have you spent any significant time on a 50 recently? Call me shallow, but I wouldn't have the patience for it.
paracer

Post by paracer »

I think you'd be a little tired of a 50cc in pretty short order.

I have been daily commuting on my 10th anniversary buddy since late March and just crossed 3000 miles. In July, I did a 450 mile trip to the beach and back all in one day. My daily commute has me hitting 70 bmph for a short blip, but is mostly between 45 and 60 bmph.

I honestly think you would be pretty happy with a 125, and a little more happy if your dealer has a 10th anniversary model (has a few upgrades at the same cost of a regular buddy).

And if you feel you need a bit more torque, or a few more miles per hour, it's pretty easy to get a little bit more than stock. I have to stress, a little bit more, as going overboard can lead to a ride that is a bit finicky.

I can't comment how riding two-up would work out as I've never tried it. By the way, basic insurance here in PA is $6 a month for me.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Unfortunately Genuine discontinued the Blur, so you'd have to make sure the dealer you're going to has one in stock or could find one if that's a model you're interested in.

I have a Buddy 125 and it's my every day ride. I love it, it's tons of fun, super nimble, and easy to whip around while having enough power to really keep up with traffic (even here in Atlanta where 35 MPH speed limits apparently mean 50...). The only qualm you may have (just depending on personal preference) would be the physical size. If you have super long legs it could be a tight squeeze.

Another option is the Hooligan. Definitely a more rugged look to it. My boyfriend has one and loves it, although he uses his for fun, not for every day commuting. He's 6'4" and about 220 lbs. The dual disk brakes and digital dash are pretty nice, plus the larger wheels means it can handle pot holes and the like a bit better than the Buddy (although with the Buddy being so nimble you can easily circumnavigate road issues). Plus the much longer seat is more comfortable for 2-up riding.

A Buddy 50 was my first scooter, and I loved that thing but I certainly don't regret trading it up for a 125. I'd never go back to 50.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

It's easy enough to add footpegs to a Buddy - our shop has made some from Aluminum Stock and fold-up pegs.

Image[/img]
Camperdog

Post by Camperdog »

About insurance in Michigan with a 49cc motorcycle/ moped/ scooter. You do not have to show proof of insurance in Michigan. Nor do you pay into the catastrophic claims fund.

Yet if you do cause damage to someone else's property you are responsible to take care if it. My moped only is $2/mo more on my motorcycle policy.
Heck I spill more than $2/ mo. Be safe.

Life begins ar 125/150 cc step up. You could save a lot of $$$ by purchasing a Yugo but there are so many better choices out there to get the job done.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Liability insurance for a 125cc scooter is around 50 bucks per year.
Get a 50cc scoot if you like them and they meet your needs. Don't get a 50cc scoot just to save 50 bucks.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

wheelbender6 wrote:Get a 50cc scoot if you like them and they meet your needs. Don't get a 50cc scoot just to save 50 bucks.
I agree completely. A 50cc scooter is a choice, and it may be a reasonable choice if it meets the rider's needs. Riding a scooter without liability insurance, or without MSF or a similar training course for that matter, may also be choices with an under 50cc scooter. They are , however, very different choices with very different implications. I would not advise anyone to choose a 50cc scooter primarily because they wanted to avoid insurance or rider training.
Greyscoot

Post by Greyscoot »

I would look seriously at the Hooligan. I'm 5'11'' and 190 lbs. and I fit very comfortably. No handle bars hitting me in the knees, room to move my legs around, set-up for two up and foot pegs for the passenger. Has enough power to move two around without getting run over. F.I., twin rear shocks, dual disc brakes. You won't get tired of it before it's even broken in.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Used Blur 220 or Buddy 170i. I own the 170i and it's terrific with good power and handling. Not ridden a Blur but somewhat lust for one. I will they were still available new.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
jd

Post by jd »

All you really need is a Buddy 125. The 170 is a lot of extra cost for power that you won't need or use, plus it has fuel injection, hence it lacks a kick start. That can be a real pain if you somehow run the battery down.

What's more, there are A LOT of used Buddy 125's out there, and good used ones can be found with a little patience. Start watching Craigslist.

The original founder of Genuine Scooter Company, Philip McCaleb (I hope I'm spelling that right) told me and my wife that the 125 is the "sweet spot" of the Buddy line. After putting 10,000 miles on a 125, I can't argue with that. It would be perfect for a 15 mile commute, and I've ridden it all over Michigan, including rides in excess of 125 miles.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
eamrein

Post by eamrein »

6' 3", 190Lbs and no issues with a 2013 Buddy 125, 5 miles a day.. Ins is cheap, agree with others that you want max coverage, don't skimp there..
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Does your Genuine dealer offer test rides? The Buddy 125 is a proven little warrior if it fits you. The Hooligan is a little bigger all around. As much as I prefer a kick start during the cold months I have only ever used it once on our Buddy 125 because I knew the battery was going but I failed to address it until it was to late. If I were to do it again I would get a Hooligan or a Kick (have yet to see one in person) for the fuel injection.
unklsteve

Post by unklsteve »

Thank you to everyone that responded. I really do appreciate your input. A few of you are my size, and some of you are in Michigan! Bonus!

I have definitely ruled out a 50cc scooter, thanks to your feedback.

My closest recommended dealer is Cafe Racer in Ann Arbor. Their website shows that they have a new Blur, and they have the 170's in stock, but right now I'm thinking the 125 is enough. I don't really want to over-buy, either.

Decisions. Decisions.
jd

Post by jd »

I'm not in Michigan anymore, although I go up to the Leelanau Peninsula at least once a year to ride with scooter buddies (which includes 4 "Buddys.")

What part of Michigan are you in? Another Genuine dealer in southeastern Michigan is Blackbeard Powersports in Clinton Township. That's where I met Philip McCaleb. Although I didn't buy my Buddys there, they did some service for me and were great.

I also see several used Buddy 125's for sale in southwestern Ohio around Cincinnati. The money you would save on a used bike could be far more than enough to justify the trip, plus you'd be able to ride one before you bought it, which may not be the case with a new one a dealer.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

In my personal experience, the 125, 150, and 170i all have about the same top speed. The only difference between them is the larger displacement gives you a couple more mph going up steep and long hills or into a stiff head wind. The 125 gets better gas mileage.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

unklsteve wrote:Thank you to everyone that responded. I really do appreciate your input. A few of you are my size, and some of you are in Michigan! Bonus!

I have definitely ruled out a 50cc scooter, thanks to your feedback.

My closest recommended dealer is Cafe Racer in Ann Arbor. Their website shows that they have a new Blur, and they have the 170's in stock, but right now I'm thinking the 125 is enough. I don't really want to over-buy, either.

Decisions. Decisions.
If your local dealer has a new Blur 220i in stock I would absolutely hop on that! BuddyRaton was spot on when he recommended the Blur to you... if you fit on it comfortably.

Yes, a Buddy 125/170i is 100% capable of doing a 15 mile commute - I have tens of thousands of miles on Buddy scooters and hundreds of miles 2-up on a Buddy - BUT - for a 30 mile DAILY commute, the larger wheels of the Blur will be significantly more comfortable and pleasurable.

The Buddies have a remarkable amount of cargo capacity. Before I had my current 20 mile (each way) daily commute, I commuted every day for 4 years on a Buddy 125. It was perfect for the 5 mile commute I had then. I haven't seen a Blur in a long time, so I don't know if it has the same convenience of a Buddy in terms of easily piling on cargo. - I love the combination of the flat floor boards and multiple helmet hooks on the Buddy for those purposes. My daily gear would always just sit on the floorboards secured to the helmet hooks under the seat. I consequently never found that I needed a top case with the Buddy, and I could do huge grocery runs by hooking multiple bags to each of the helmet hooks and then piling larger items on the floor boards. - BUT for a 15 mile each-way daily commute - you'll be doing yourself a HUGE favor by going with the Blur.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Blurs are dope! I bet the one they have is gently used, not new-but if it IS new, WOW! Blurs came in two different cc's, and if the Blur is used either engine size should do you fine. New Blurs are 220cc, older ones are 150's? See if it fits you. Im 5'9" and as much as I enjoyed test riding a Blur I got a Buddy 125 instead. Flat floor sold me on the Buddy, but the orange and gray color combo on the Blur almost swayed me back.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you are considering the Blur, be sure you are doing it with your eyes open. The bike has been discontinued by Genuine. It always had a poor resale value and that will now be worse. If the bike works for you, I would only consider it as a low mileage used one at a real fire sale price. In that size and speed category, there are models from other manufacturers which are still being distributed and hold their value better.
amazingjameso

Post by amazingjameso »

Syd wrote:You should check the motorcycle laws in your state on registration/insurance for 50cc scoots. In my state, AZ, everything must be licensed and registered and insured. (Unless it's a true moped, with working pedals.)
Yes, I agree. Check your local laws!, In Delaware 50cc or under no mc endrsmnt, no insurance, however you are restricted at 25mph. Meaning if your on a road posted at 30,35,40. then 25 is all you can go. In del we can ride on the shoulder in the bike lane also, but not on the sidewalk or bike/walking path. I confirmed this online a my state website and with a local state trooper. Even though a scoot can go faster doesn't mean its legal to exceed that minimum speed restriction. My scoot hates hills but that's the price you pay for a 50cc. I like it for running errands and riding to work which is about 9miles. Ride safe!! Enjoy the ride!!
RickWaza

Post by RickWaza »

I'm riding my wife's Piaggio 150 to work this week (7 miles one way) while I'm waiting for a tire for my Blur 220. I miss the extra power. Her 150 has barely adequate power (it slows down on steep hills) but is a little more comfortable. I'm 5'7" but 180 lbs w/o gear. I would definitely try them out to see what you think. I'm the kind that always wants More Power!
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

" In my state, AZ, everything must be licensed and registered and insured."
When I lived in AZ, I rode to work on a bicycle with a 48cc engine kit. We could ride motorized bicycles in the bike lanes (if you don't exceed 20mph) and no registration was required.
It was slow, but cheap and relatively safe.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The tough part is the 2 up. I agree...if solo a Buddy 125 will rock it but they are way too tight 2 up!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Syd

Post by Syd »

wheelbender6 wrote:" In my state, AZ, everything must be licensed and registered and insured."
When I lived in AZ, I rode to work on a bicycle with a 48cc engine kit. We could ride motorized bicycles in the bike lanes (if you don't exceed 20mph) and no registration was required.
It was slow, but cheap and relatively safe.
Motorizes bicycles are a whole different class of vehicles in AZ, and you're right, motorized bicycles can ride in the bike lanes (with speed limits, of course). Motorized bicycles and mopes, like the Puch, don't need a M/C license.

Everything else, 49cc and up, needs it all, in AZ.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

To be honest, if I had a daily 15 mile (one way) commute I would stick with the motorcycle. The Buddy 125 can do it, sure, but I never really feel comfortable going more than 45 or 50 mph on the Buddy, esp. if traffic is fast and edgy, as it tends to be in morning commutes. The wheels are pretty small. I would not consider the 50cc. Having said that, I'm not very aggressive with the scooter, and many others will think the Buddy 125 is fine. I'd just want larger wheels.
unklsteve

Post by unklsteve »

Well, I pulled the trigger last Thursday and ordered a 170i Pamplona. I have to wait until the first week of November to get it, and had to pay upfront. After finally going to a Genuine dealer and seeing how large the Buddy frame and bodywork really is, I decided that the largest engine was my best option. I can't imagine a 49cc engine in that large of a scooter, but I know it works great for a lot of people. And the cost difference from the 125 to the 170 was worth it to me for the fuel injection and the color choices.

The dealer was a really great guy, too. (Blackbeard Powersports in Clinton Township, MI.) Now I just have to decide - windscreen, or not? Rear topcase, or side bags? Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I really appreciate the insight!

PS - Are there any "must have" accessories I should be looking at? I have two more weeks to figure out if I want anything added by him. (That gives him time to get whatever it may be, and then install it when the scooter comes in. As I live an hour and twenty minutes from there, I don't want to make random return trips.)
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

unklsteve wrote: PS - Are there any "must have" accessories I should be looking at? I have two more weeks to figure out if I want anything added by him. (That gives him time to get whatever it may be, and then install it when the scooter comes in. As I live an hour and twenty minutes from there, I don't want to make random return trips.)
Headlamp upgrade to PIAA bulb and convert the deadlights to active running lights (at the same time switching out the stock deadlight bulbs for LEDs).
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Syd

Post by Syd »

unklsteve wrote:PS - Are there any "must have" accessories I should be looking at? I have two more weeks to figure out if I want anything added by him. (That gives him time to get whatever it may be, and then install it when the scooter comes in. As I live an hour and twenty minutes from there, I don't want to make random return trips.)
Will you need to carry stuff on your commute? There is space under the seat (the "pet carrier"), but it gets hot under there; you may want to consider a topcase.
unklsteve

Post by unklsteve »

Well, I finally got my 170i this afternoon. Rain and sleet and 36 degrees all the way there and back. Got it home and into the garage, spent about an hour wiping it down with my chamois cloth. I picked up a cover, a Cuppini windscreen and a rear rack for it while at the dealership. I also grabbed a few quarts of oil and gearlube so I can do my 100 mile/ 200 mile fluid change this weekend. I plan to put the first hundred miles on between tomorrow and Friday, so I can do the first oil change Saturday morning. I am a little surprised at the very long break-in period. Manual says 620 miles. That's a long time to ride 1/2 throttle. Guess I better get up early tomorrow and get started.

Also - I finally discovered the "deadlights" that I've seen mentioned. What's the scoop with those? I did a search but didn't get any solid results.

TIA!
VSP

Post by VSP »

unklsteve wrote:Also - I finally discovered the "deadlights" that I've seen mentioned. What's the scoop with those? I did a search but didn't get any solid results.

TIA!
Congratulations on the new scoot!

The deadlights are the scooters original blinkers. They do not meet the DOT standards here (just a tad to close together) so they are disconnected and no longer used. Genuine added the upper blinkers to meet DOT specifications. The deadlight wiring is unplugged and rerouted to the upper blinkers.

I offer a bunch of options to bring the deadlights back to life. And they happen to all be on sale right now until Sunday Nov. 29th.

topic30208.html
Voodoo [voo-doo] -adjective. Claimed or reputed to provide an ingenious or seemingly magical solution to a problem. <A HREF="http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic29569.html">Get your VOODOO here</A>
MYSCTR

LED DEADLIGHTS

Post by MYSCTR »

Converting the deadlights to LED white running lights makes a HUGE difference when driving at dusk or night, both being seen and seeing. You can't go wrong with this quick add. We would also suggest the back off brake as a great safety feature.

Enjoy the ride!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Converting the deadlights is a great safety improvement. The kits that VSP sells are the best out there. Go with amber or white if they are not going to blink. Also, another cool little option is a Gen-U-Bin, mostly for the small stuff. Enjoy your new ride!
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Make sure you slip a little bit of short full throttle action into the break-in to make sure the rings seat well.