Almost got nailed, phew!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BoulderBud

Almost got nailed, phew!

Post by BoulderBud »

In only my 3rd year of riding I saw my life flash as I narrowly avoided getting nailed by a car that almost made a left right into me today. I was going 20 mph, there was an intersection 150 feet in front of me. A car was driving toward me on the same street, waiting to make a left turn and I thought he was waiting for me to go by first. Then I noticed the flashing lights of an accident investigation vehicle next to a mail truck on the left side of the intersection.

I looked over to see what kind of accident had happened and lost my attention on the car waiting to turn left. Well, the car turned left into me, I had to swerve a little to the right and they braked just in time to miss me by about 4 feet. I think if he didn't brake at the last second, I would have ran right into him or him into me. Lesson learned, luckily.

Hoping to reinforce to every rider out there that distractions on the sides of roads should be ignored and attention should return immediately back on safety.

Another lesson learned today is that many of the bicycle accidents around here are situations where vehicles make a left into a bike going straight. I must always assume cars will do something dangerous that will jeapordize me. And go slow when approaching traffic, much more reaction time to brake in time.
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

If anyone has a tip on how to avoid an accident, I would love to hear it. Something to look out for, situations that sometimes occur. One of my biggest faults is a drifting mind while riding, thinking about things other than riding safely. Any tips on staying focused?

Being a newbie, I want to learn the easy way, not the hard way. Thank you. I hope this will save some injuries and lives for all of us here.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

I agree with the riding paradigm that you should assume that every cager (car operator) is out to kill you or is an idiot behind the wheel. This will help to keep you focused on the environment around you. Always give yourself a space cushion and stay out of blind spots, if possible. Never be too aggressive in riding versus cars since you will always lose, and NEVER, NEVER assume that you have been seen by the driver in the car coming your way.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

If this is your 3rd year of riding, and this was your 1st major butt pucker moment, than I think your are doing very well! You can never truly become a professional rider, and even us old timers are still considered a newbie by someone older and wiser. I get side tracked and distracted all the time while riding, so you are not alone. Advice? In "advanced" 18 wheeler classes we were told to constantly glance at all the signs on the road. It helps keep you eyes on the road, your head kinda cleared and you know what road/underpass/exit/etc. is coming up next. And dont listen to music while riding! Headphones are the worst. Vehicles will sneak right up on you before you know it!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Glad this was just a learning experience for you, and nothing worse. In my own riding, I pay attention to whether I am having any trouble maintaining focus. If I am, that is a message that this is not a good day for riding.
CountChocula

Post by CountChocula »

Whoops. See next post...
Last edited by CountChocula on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
CountChocula

Post by CountChocula »

BoulderBud wrote:If anyone has a tip on how to avoid an accident, I would love to hear it. Something to look out for, situations that sometimes occur. One of my biggest faults is a drifting mind while riding, thinking about things other than riding safely. Any tips on staying focused?

Being a newbie, I want to learn the easy way, not the hard way. Thank you. I hope this will save some injuries and lives for all of us here.
Definitely Assume that you are invisible and that nobody can see you.

I would highly recommend taking a Motorcycle Safety course.

I've been riding for years and finally took the MSF course to get my Motorcycle Endorsement. I thought I woudn't really learn anything but picked up a LOT of great tips. Defensive riding, and keeping yourself away from potential threats and actually anticipating what drivers will be doing is a big part.

I did Full Throttle. Used to be in Thornton...looks like they moved up to Loveland. Jason's awesome.
http://fullthrottleacademy.com/

They used to have a 1 day scooter class if I remember.

Be safe out there.

The Count
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I can't remember the stats, but I think a significant number of motorcycle and scooter accidents involve cars making a left hand turn.

Ride like you expect that car to make a left hand turn into you. I'm always extremely alert and wary of left turning vehicles ahead of me.

Always ride like everyone is trying their best to kill you.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

There are few scooters in my town, so yesterday, when I met a Roughhouse rider we talked at the red light about how much we love riding. But as we parted we both said, "be safe". I wear an blaze orange hunting vest over my coat. Visibility is #1 thing we can do. Thank you for sharing your near miss.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

This is the downside of 2 wheels. Sooner or later, you, your friends, etc, will have near misses (or NOT misses!).

Everyone be safe and keep alert!
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Thank you! I'm a safer rider due to the ideas you guys posted.

My main take away is to ride like opposing traffic doesn't see me and to assume they will turn left into me at any time.

Also like this idea to keep my mind from drifting---continually noticing things that will contribute to my safety. Cars, signs, potholes, etc.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

BoulderBud wrote:If anyone has a tip on how to avoid an accident, I would love to hear it. Something to look out for, situations that sometimes occur. One of my biggest faults is a drifting mind while riding, thinking about things other than riding safely. Any tips on staying focused?

Yeah, read Proficient Motorcycling.
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Thanks fellow Hoosier. I liked that book. Read it right after I bought my scoot. Are there other books out there?