Floorboard Vibration & Growl After Tire Replacement

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lavish_Squalor

Floorboard Vibration & Growl After Tire Replacement

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

Hi guys --

I just got home from having the shop install two new Michelin S1 tires on my Buddy 125. I had stock tires on it but had a flat over the weekend and figured I'd get them both replaced at the same time.

But now there's a pronounced growl from the engine and there's an obvious vibration in the floorboard. I almost turned around and went back to the shop but it had begun to rain and I was hoping against hope that it was just me.

I can put my scoot up on the center stand and rev the engine as much as I want with no growl and no vibration. But once it hits the pavement it's a different story.

I've got four thousand miles on my Buddy 125 and I baby the heck out of it.

Any ideas?
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

Did they balance the tires? There should be stick-on weights on the rim. A lot of shops can't balance the smaller wheels on scooters, but it's important to do.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Take a look at the tires and make sure the arrow is pointing in direction of travel. There should be an orange or red dot on each tire. When mounted it should be lined up with the valve stem.

You have to go back to where the work was done and have them ride it.

On a 10" tire you shouldn't experience that even if the tire is not balanced. They come from PGO without being balanced. Most riders don't balance the tires. I'll use dynabeads sometimes, sometimes I don't. Never had the noise that your'e describing.
Lavish_Squalor

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

I am very grateful for the suggestions.

Once our tropical storm is over (I'm in Orlando), I'll head back to the shop.

Thanks again for taking the time. I appreciate it.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Pop it up on the center stand and see if there is any weird side to side play on the rear wheel. It is possible the rear wheel nut it not tight. Also spin the rear wheel and see if it drags, the rear brake may be adjusted wrong. Then spin the front wheel and see if there is any excess drag or grabbing. Also double check the tire pressure. That is all I can think of at the moment.