Long Term Effects of De-Restricting A Buddy 50cc?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cummingsjc

Long Term Effects of De-Restricting A Buddy 50cc?

Post by cummingsjc »

I have heard a number of theories of the long term effects of de-restricting a 50cc Buddy (or Roughhouse 50cc) scooter, particularly that constantly running one at WOT, which really isn't hard to do on a 50cc scooter when trying to keep up with traffic, could overheat the engine and cause it to fail faster. Has anyone had any long-term negative issues with running a de-restricted Buddy (or similar scooter)? Should you always have to remove both the exhaust restrictor and the variator washer?
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

If you remove the exhaust restrictor without removing the variator spacer, it'll over-rev and possibly throw the wrist pin clip and destroy the top end.

Restricted, the top end will outlast the scooter since you're essentially riding around at half throttle. I put a number of 10K miles on a derestricted top end with average use but you can help it out by getting a CHT temp gauge or even upping the main jet a couple points if you plan on riding wide open quite a bit.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Harris,
I haven't taken off the exhaust or opened up the variator on Corinne's old Buddy 50cc yet to see if it is already de-restricted (although I did de-restrict the Black Cat already when I was piecing it back together). Do you know if her Buddy was already de-restricted when you all were working on it?

Chris
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Should be, yeah.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Derestricting is putting the engine, exhaust, and drive train back to their original design specs, freeing them from federal 'intervention'. I don't think you'll be putting the power train at risk by doing so. These scooters were designed to provide years of service freed from all that junk, so you're unlikely to hurt anything, other than the 'partial' derestriction discussed above.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

dasscooter wrote:Should be, yeah.
Thanks. I figured it was based on the 4000+ miles.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

PeteH wrote:Derestricting is putting the engine, exhaust, and drive train back to their original design specs, freeing them from federal 'intervention'. I don't think you'll be putting the power train at risk by doing so. These scooters were designed to provide years of service freed from all that junk, so you're unlikely to hurt anything, other than the 'partial' derestriction discussed above.
Thanks, that is a great point.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I thought derestricting entailed only removing the washer in the variator. So, there is also something to change with the exhaust. Would someone please explain that to me? Thank you.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

ucandoit wrote:I thought derestricting entailed only removing the washer in the variator. So, there is also something to change with the exhaust. Would someone please explain that to me? Thank you.
There is a small round exhaust restrictor inserted in between the engine and the exhaust pipe. Remove the muffler assembly and it should either come off with the muffler or be stuck up on the engine. This is not to be confused with the exhaust gasket, which is a brass colored ring in the same area. The gasket ring needs to be replaced back in the exhaust pipe and all bolts put back in place. Here is a link to a forum thread with information and a video of it being done.

topic10938.html