How to remove lock nut on the steering stem?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tim Servo

How to remove lock nut on the steering stem?

Post by Tim Servo »

I'm in the process of trying to put on a new set of front forks on my Buddy 125, and am not sure how to go about removing the lock nut on the assembly. It's part number 1 on this diagram: http://www.modernbuddy.com/pdf/BUDDY_125_PARTS_FIG.pdf

I tried searching, but didn't see anything posted. If you aren't familiar with the part, or can't tell by the picture, it's a round nut with 4 notches in it. I'm sure there's a special tool that Genuine dealers have that makes this a piece of cake, but I'm not sure what I can do as the average DIYer. I'm really hoping to avoid having to buy a specialized (and likely overpriced) tool for a one time operation. Anyone have advice for this?
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

You might find a spanner at a bicycle shop that fits it, most shops carry a line by Park Tools with all kinds of wrenches and specialized implements for disassembling bikes. Older bikes all have those locking rings with four notches on the cranks, sometimes on the steering head, etc.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

You might try using a flathead screwdriver an a hammer to get the job done. Place the tip of the flathead screwdriver blade against one of the inside edges of one of the cut out notches and gently give it a few taps with hammer in the direction you want it to turn. Reverse the process to tighten. My old scooter repair shop did it this way.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Harbor Freight sell these wrenches for a reasonable price. Not the best quality in the world, but perfectly fine for occasional use.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Tim Servo

Post by Tim Servo »

I tried the screwdriver method at first yesterday, but the head bit into the metal without turning it. I decided I should stop before I got it into too gnarly a state. I sprayed some penetrating oil on it last night, so will give it another go today, and will try to see if I can find a blunter tool that will fit. If that doesn't work, Harbor Freight it is. (fingers crossed)
Tim Servo

Post by Tim Servo »

Update on progress with my fork installation. I was finally able to get that lock nut off, liberal amounts of PB Blaster and a bigger screwdriver didn't do much, so I went to Harbor Freight to see about finding a hook wrench. Unfortunately, it's not something they carry. I did however, pick up a set of chisels and punches, a couple of which had nice flat "points" which turned out to work a lot better in the notches of the nut. With some determination and a mallet, the thing finally came loose.

After that, I was in business, or so I thought. Apparently Genuine has changed the bearings used in the steering stem, and the dealership had me order new sets of bearings and races. I put the new bearings on the bottom race, and tried to put the upper race on top. However, the steering stem flares near the top, and the upper race does not fit over said flare.

I called the dealership, and they were incredulous, verifying that I was doing it correctly, and that I had the right part on hand. I did indeed have the right one, and they had no answer for me. They say they've changed many front ends on all the Buddies, and have never seen this issue before. I find it hard to believe myself...the race quite obviously is not meant to fit over that part of the steering stem. Unless they changed the part for the steering stem and I somehow got old stock (it's identical to the one I pulled off). Of course, that was Saturday evening when I called, so it was too late to do anything and they're closed Sunday and Monday. They promised to call Genuine on Tuesday and see if they could get to the bottom of this. Anyone hear of this change in parts, or have a similar experience?

Here's a pic of the race not fitting. (Couldn't get the picture to post for some reason).