Is this Buddy 125 price a fair one?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

k1dude

Is this Buddy 125 price a fair one?

Post by k1dude »

I have no idea what the current market is like on used scooters.

I have a friend who is planning on purchasing his first scooter ever. He found a 2009 Buddy 125 with 11,000 miles on it for $1,200. Is that a fair price?

It seemed to me to be a little high considering the mileage.
Tim Servo

Post by Tim Servo »

A lot depends on where you're located and what the market is like. That may be a bit high for the mileage, but not unreasonable, especially if it's been maintained. Find out if it needs stuff like CVT belt change, oil change, tires, brake pads, etc. If it needs those things, you should count on a couple hundred or so that should be deductible from the price. And of course, look for any damage, and talk down from there.
george54

Post by george54 »

I'm no expert, but it seems a bit high.

Your friend's possible purchase would depend on condition and if it has been properly serviced. He could probably find a much newer, say, 2013 with very few miles for around $1600-$1900. So, to me, that year and that mileage I'd pay ~ $1000 if it's in good shape and running well. Good weather states like California should have many scooter choices. Just look at Craigslist and dozens and dozens should pop right up. That's also a good way to get a feel price-wise, see what price others are asking.
Last edited by george54 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The Kelly Bluebook average retail for a 2009 Buddy 125 is $1730. That is fairly high mileage, but I'd say the price is primarily dependent on condition and service history. A Buddy is certainly capable of several times that mileage presuming regular servicing and reasonable care. At that many miles the scooter should already have new belt and rollers, as well as new rubber (the rear probably 2 or 3 times).
george54

Post by george54 »

Dooglas wrote:The Kelly Bluebook average retail for a 2009 Buddy 125 is $1730. That is fairly high mileage, but I'd say the price is primarily dependent on condition and service history. A Buddy is certainly capable of several times that mileage presuming regular servicing and reasonable care. At that many miles the scooter should already have new belt and rollers, as well as new rubber (the rear probably 2 or 3 times).
Last year I paid $1600 or $1700 (can't recall exactly) for a 2013 buddy in like new condition with 1500 miles on it and side protection bars and a Givi top case.
skipper20

Re: Is this Buddy 125 price a fair one?

Post by skipper20 »

k1dude wrote:I have no idea what the current market is like on used scooters.

I have a friend who is planning on purchasing his first scooter ever. He found a 2009 Buddy 125 with 11,000 miles on it for $1,200. Is that a fair price?

It seemed to me to be a little high considering the mileage.
Unless it's advertised as a "firm" price, $1200 usually means the seller's bottom line is $1000. If the seller can provide reasonable proof that the scooter has been properly maintained and it looks good cosmetically, 11,000 miles is not a big deal. In fact, it makes an excellent bargaining chip. If it were me, I'd advise your friend to have no more than $1,000 cash in his pocket, take the bike for a short test ride and if it feels good, offer $900 and see what happens.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll pass the info along and suggest he uses the $1,000 in his pocket strategy.

I would personally prefer he found a well cared for one with less than 3,000 miles. Ideally someone that bought one, but rarely ever rode it.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

As far as 11K? It will be fine. Find out how well it has been maintained. A valve adjustment and a new belt/rollers need done if they haven't been yet. That can help negotiate the price :)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?