fuel gauge, when is the tank empty?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

paracer

fuel gauge, when is the tank empty?

Post by paracer »

So, I'm trying to get a better idea of how to read the fuel gauge on my Buddy 125.

Where on the fuel gauge is the fuel tank actually close to empty? Am I safe to be a bit into the red? Is it not empty until it hits the peg? Is it that little tiny black dot?

Thanks in advance!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Best way to find out? Get a small fuel can and put it on the floor board and go for a ride :).
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
paracer

Post by paracer »

Thanks Bill! I might have to take a soda bottle of gas for a ride. Ha!

The 10th anniversary scoot is doing great! I'm about to cross over 300 miles by the end of the week. I did my first oil change last weekend, and I'll be doing gear oil on Saturday.
paracer

Post by paracer »

So, I ran the tank pretty far. I filled up when the needle was resting on the pin while riding. I filled up with 1.05 gal of mid-grade. That fill-up went almost to the tank lid.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

DO NOT FILL TO THE TANK LID!!!

Only fill to about a couple inches below the top.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

k1dude wrote:DO NOT FILL TO THE TANK LID!!!

Only fill to about a couple inches below the top.
So very true! Reason: vapor lock. Always make sure you leave a little bit of room for your gas to "breathe," especially if it's warm outside. :)
paracer

Post by paracer »

laurfunkle wrote: ...especially if it's warm outside. :)
And that must be why I haven't had issues yet. I will adjust my fill-up habits. Thanks guys!
Clydeo

Gas gauge

Post by Clydeo »

In my experience, the gas gauge is wildly non-linear: it stays on full for quite a while, and then drops like a rock. But I have discovered a sure fire way to know if there is any gas in the tank: if there is gas left, I Am riding. If not, Ibsm pushing. Works every time!
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

One gallon is close to what mine takes when it hits the peg also. Why don't you just let it run out of gas and measure the miles? Mine has 25 miles after the peg is reached.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Clydeo has the technique down well :)

I do agree about the Non linear thing. It seems to be a scooter thing. I own 4 genuines, a kymco, and a lance between myself and the kids. They all seem to show this habit. You have gas, plenty, plenty, then it falls like a stone. The Kymco is really the culprit. It will burn through half of its tank before the needle even moves.

The genuines seem to at least have the more accurate gauges of the bunch (excluding the Stellas).
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
paracer

Post by paracer »

The non-linear gas gauge thing applied to my first car, too. The first and last quarter tank would go 125 miles each. The middle half was only good for another 125 or so. Then that car became a track car and all bets were off.

I think I now know that I can ride until the gauge touches the peg. That will help when I do longer rides.

And to think, I can ride to work all week for less than $3.00. That even beats a but ticket. Though I don't get to sit next to bums when I take the scoot.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

A friend and I went for a loooong ride to meet a club for another loooonger ride, and we were both on Buddy 125's. I was tucked behind the windshield and slightly lighter than him. He was bolt upright looking over his windshield and is a bit heavier. I looked down and noticed I was low on fuel, and starting thinking gas station. He pulls up next to me at the next light freaking out, his Buddy was ON EMPTY! He sputtered into the gas station when we finally found one. Moral of story=I carry a filled 1 quart MSR fuel bottle on long runs thru remote places now just in case. And if you do need the fuel, open the bottle slowly.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

sc00ter wrote:A friend and I went for a loooong ride to meet a club for another loooonger ride, and we were both on Buddy 125's. I was tucked behind the windshield and slightly lighter than him. He was bolt upright looking over his windshield and is a bit heavier. I looked down and noticed I was low on fuel, and starting thinking gas station. He pulls up next to me at the next light freaking out, his Buddy was ON EMPTY! He sputtered into the gas station when we finally found one. Moral of story=I carry a filled 1 quart MSR fuel bottle on long runs thru remote places now just in case. And if you do need the fuel, open the bottle slowly.
Where can these 1 quart MSR fuel bottles be purchased?

Bill in Seattle
paracer

Post by paracer »

skipper20 wrote:Where can these 1 quart MSR fuel bottles be purchased?

Bill in Seattle
That sounds like the bottles of fuel that are now sold in auto parts stores like AutoZone. They're intended for lawnmowers and such. Some of them include pre-mix, so be careful when you pick one out. The sealed container would be nice for travel. I would maybe be worried about pressure buildup during hot summer months.
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

MSR Fuel bottles are used primarily for camping stove fuel. They are available at sporting goods stores. Also available at Amazon and a google search will find lots of sources.

Billy
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

skipper20 wrote:
sc00ter wrote:A friend and I went for a loooong ride to meet a club for another loooonger ride, and we were both on Buddy 125's. I was tucked behind the windshield and slightly lighter than him. He was bolt upright looking over his windshield and is a bit heavier. I looked down and noticed I was low on fuel, and starting thinking gas station. He pulls up next to me at the next light freaking out, his Buddy was ON EMPTY! He sputtered into the gas station when we finally found one. Moral of story=I carry a filled 1 quart MSR fuel bottle on long runs thru remote places now just in case. And if you do need the fuel, open the bottle slowly.
Where can these 1 quart MSR fuel bottles be purchased?

Bill in Seattle
Amazon or a sporting goods store, they're used for the small backpacking liquid fuel stoves. MSR is just a brand name, makes great stoves by the way.

What I did was picked up 2 1 quart bottles of Coleman fuel on clearance, once the fuel was gone, repurposed the bottles as back up fuel jugs for long rides.
A-A-Ron125

Buddy 125 fuel gauge observations

Post by A-A-Ron125 »

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum. I just bought a used 2015 Buddy 125 with only 400 miles, and I've put about two-hundred miles on it since then. I've noticed that each time I start it up, the fuel gauge is a little lower than when I ended my previous trip. The other day I had turned it off with the needle just touching "E" and when I turned it on again, the needle was right in the middle of "E." I rode it for a while and was getting concerned about running out of gas, but I wasn't too far from home so I figured I'd try to get it to my destination. After a few miles, the fuel needle was literally resting on the little peg that sticks out, but I was still going. I'd say I rode for about 3/4 of a mile with the needle resting on that peg before I got gas, and my scooter never stuttered once, so I probably had a little gas to spare. I'm not sure if this is the situation with all Buddy's, but I now feel comfortable riding until the needle hits that peg before I get really desperate!
Clydeo

Gas gauge

Post by Clydeo »

I have found that my very best gas gauge is the odometer. The Buddy is quite consistent when it comes to mileage. I usually gas up at around 80 miles, leaving myself a healthy reserve. The gas gauge on any bike is handy, but is never a good indicator of how much gas you may or may not actually have, at least in my experience.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Exactly Clydeo. I starting filling the Buddy 125 up at every 100 miles, or as close to 100 miles as possible. Being dumb I cant remember how much gas went in, but it was very close to the same amount everytime. Unfortunately no one has ridden the Buddy in 4 months now and the battery is totally flat/dead. I may just get 'er back on the road this weekend, feel kinda guilty. Note about the MSR bottles. I use ethanol free gas in the bottle so it can sit without going bad. Has never leaked but I do put a piece of tape over the lid just in case. Fill bottle, toss under seat and hopefully never need it. If you do use it, open the cap sloooowly, no matter what the weather! Also, dont fill it to the tippy top as fuel does expand. Learn from my mistakes!