Changed Oil - Found Mystery Hole

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sem65

Changed Oil - Found Mystery Hole

Post by sem65 »

While doing my Buddy 150's first oil change, I noticed a threaded hole next to the oil drain plug (see pic). I'm guessing that nothing has fallen off of my scoot, but it's simply there for use in another model of scooter. Can anyone confirm this? Or is my motor about to fall off in the road behind me?! :roll:

Also, as this was my first oil/filter change dance with the Buddy, I was wondering if anyone has removed the skid plate. I was able to change the filter with the skid plate in place. But I found the skid plate made it a messier job, and obscured my vision a bit. It was a minor annoyance. I did put a socket on one of the two bolts that attaches the plate and started to turn it. I turned it but a fraction and I heard that "crack" sound that warns me to leave well enough alone. So I didn't turn it further as I didn't want to bust off a bolt or two!

Thanks!
Attachments
Mystery Hole.jpg
Mystery Hole.jpg (66.66 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
Skid Plate.jpg
Skid Plate.jpg (56.54 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I doubt if that mounting hole is used for anything on your Buddy. On the Blur, it and another hole a couple of inches in front of it and a little higher is used as mounting points for the rear multilink suspension bracket.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I don't know if it's the same oil cooler as the 170i but I removed my skid plate. A little easier access to the filter & possibly better air flow across the cooler. I'd post a pic but my camera is 8 mp & they're too big. If I remember there were 2 long bolts to take out & the cooler drops down. Removed the skid plate & bolted the cooler back on.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

+1
george54

Post by george54 »

I've seen an explanation for that hole before, but I can't remember the details other than it's nothing to worry about.
sem65

Post by sem65 »

New2Scoots wrote:I don't know if it's the same oil cooler as the 170i but I removed my skid plate. A little easier access to the filter & possibly better air flow across the cooler.
I'm going to check into removing that plate. Easier access is important to me, and that plate is messy when changing the filter. After my filter change, I cleaned that plate the very best I could, without removing it. But sure enough, there was still enough oil puddled somewhere on it that eventually dripped onto the garage floor. And no, I don't have any oil leaks. I balked at removing it, as the two bolts seemed very tight. I know that it can be easy to break off a bolt head, especially if the bolt is dissimilar metals and small.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

sem65 wrote:
New2Scoots wrote:I don't know if it's the same oil cooler as the 170i but I removed my skid plate. A little easier access to the filter & possibly better air flow across the cooler.
I'm going to check into removing that plate. Easier access is important to me, and that plate is messy when changing the filter. After my filter change, I cleaned that plate the very best I could, without removing it. But sure enough, there was still enough oil puddled somewhere on it that eventually dripped onto the garage floor. And no, I don't have any oil leaks. I balked at removing it, as the two bolts seemed very tight. I know that it can be easy to break off a bolt head, especially if the bolt is dissimilar metals and small.
I'm wondering if that skid plate also acts to focus cooling air around the vanes of the oil cooler? Much like the cowling and baffles of an air cooled piston driven airplane.

I think I will leave the skid plate on for normal use and just remove it for access during maintenance.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

It's mainly there to protect the oil cooler and filter against curb damage, really deep pot holes, and rocks thrown up by the front tire.
sem65

Post by sem65 »

I removed the tray yesterday to check for leaks, as I found another good sized drip under the scooter. There were no leaks. Just more oil in the tray that apparently eluded me after cleaning it out the first time. The filter area, hoses, and everything else was bone dry.

I also think the tray is there only to provide some protection to the oil cooler. But what a pain. I guess I'll be removing it every time I service the scooter. True... it's not hard to remove, but I needed to "juggle" the cooler and tray a bit to line things up for the reinstall. I'm doing it because when I do the service, I want to see all the surfaces, to make sure everything is clean and oil tight. You can't do that with the tray in place.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Since the absolute location for the tray isn't critical, you might want to enlarge it's mounting holes a little bit to make reinstallation easier. One drill size bigger should be enough.