Long storage:what's needed?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stormswift

Long storage:what's needed?

Post by Stormswift »

Well my borrowed time of 15 years ran out: ready for hip replacement. I don't know if I will be able to ride again or if I will need a trike vs. 2 wheels. I dont want to commit to making a decision now so putting my Buddy 150 back into hibernation seems like an option (vs. Selling it) I might get someone to help me but I need to know what to do. Do I drain everytjing? Gas? Oil? Transmission fluid? I am not sure how to do any of this to be honest or what not to do. Any suggestions, instructions and hiw to's are much appreciated
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Syd

Post by Syd »

If Bo Jackson can play baseball with an artificial hip you should be able to ride again. Don't skip PT!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
az_slynch

Re: Long storage:what's needed?

Post by az_slynch »

Stormswift wrote:Well my borrowed time of 15 years ran out: ready for hip replacement. I don't know if I will be able to ride again or if I will need a trike vs. 2 wheels. I dont want to commit to making a decision now so putting my Buddy 150 back into hibernation seems like an option (vs. Selling it) I might get someone to help me but I need to know what to do. Do I drain everytjing? Gas? Oil? Transmission fluid? I am not sure how to do any of this to be honest or what not to do. Any suggestions, instructions and hiw to's are much appreciated
Does your local dealer offer winterization services? That might be the simplest solution for you. Otherwise, this site talks aboutthe steps of winterizing a motorcycle. Not all steps apply, but it is comprehensive.

Seconding Syd on the PT. The new hip is meant to enable you, so put it to work!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Use a good helping of Stabil Marine 360 and fill the tank up. Drain the carb via the drain screw. Once the carb has drained, take a can of aerosol carb cleaner and spray it up the drain hose to flush the carb. Make sure you tighten the drain screw back or you'll have a surprise waiting when you start it next!

Instead of getting a tender, I'd say just plan on getting a new battery once you're cleared to ride again.

A fresh oil change is good to do before storage, too.
skipper20

Re: Long storage:what's needed?

Post by skipper20 »

Stormswift wrote:Well my borrowed time of 15 years ran out: ready for hip replacement. I don't know if I will be able to ride again or if I will need a trike vs. 2 wheels. I dont want to commit to making a decision now so putting my Buddy 150 back into hibernation seems like an option (vs. Selling it) I might get someone to help me but I need to know what to do. Do I drain everytjing? Gas? Oil? Transmission fluid? I am not sure how to do any of this to be honest or what not to do. Any suggestions, instructions and hiw to's are much appreciated
What's needed is for you to have a more positive attitude. Your hip replacement is going to give you a whole new life. How old are you? I'm 82 and riding every day weather permitting. Take advantage of your new life and enjoy your scooter. Hopefully it's garaged so during your rehab period crank it up every so often just to keep the fluids circulating. While you're listening to the engine purr do some trip planning in your mind. With a positive attitude and some Seafoam in the fuel tank you'll be back on it in no time. Enjoy!

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
easy

Post by easy »

How did hip replacement go, my wife went thru this about 5 years ago. Tina was in her mid 40s was driving a 5 speed car in a couple of weeks. I think she scared herself real bad riding her Buddy she hardly rode it lately. The only remaining symptoms of the operation is a funny sensation where they cut her.
what did you trade the day for?
george54

Post by george54 »

Off hand, I'd say first thing, quite a bit of time.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

A friend got his done at 70 and said he wished he had done it sooner. I hope it goes well. Heal up and you are riding soon :)

Did you get it stored? Let me know.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?