Dielectric Grease

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

djp4059

Dielectric Grease

Post by djp4059 »

I've read a lot of topics about electrical problems, and most of them are because of corrosion. One of the best things you can do is to use Dielectric Grease on all of your connections. There are quite a few posts in the forums where people have suggested using it. You should use it on battery terminals, fuses, your spark plug connection and inside the spark plug boot, inside switch's, light sockets, anywhere where you have an electrical connection. If you keep your scooter outside a lot or even live near the oceans (because of the salt water) this stuff is highly suggested. I've been using this stuff for years, especially on my boat, and haven't had any problems with electrical components due to corrosion.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I understand using the grease for the spark plug boot, but I don't understand how you would use it for the battery terminals or fuses, etc. where would you put it?
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ucandoit wrote:I understand using the grease for the spark plug boot, but I don't understand how you would use it for the battery terminals or fuses, etc. where would you put it?
On the metal surfaces that make contact.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

It is an insulator. I don't want it on metal surfaces that touch. I'll stick to using a thin layer on the spark plug boot, but that's all. If you'll notice, others have questioned those videos.
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

ucandoit wrote:It is an insulator. I don't want it on metal surfaces that touch. I'll stick to using a thin layer on the spark plug boot, but that's all. If you'll notice, others have questioned those videos.
Yes it is an insulator, it insulates your connections from corrosion, water and salt. It doesn't insulate the electricity from passing through connection. You do what ever you think is best.

If anyone else questions this, just go to the Permatex website and it will suggest you to use it on all your electrical connections.

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/prod ... ase-detail
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I've been using dielectric grease on electrical/electronic connections since the mid 1950's including military aviation fire control systems. It's also used for conducting heat from semi-conductor devices to the heat sinks they are mounted on.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

In addition to the usuall applications, I like to pack a dab into the backside of waterproof crimp connectors before heat shrinking the sleeve to the wire. Makes a nice malleable seal to prevent moisture from getting to the connections from that route. It might be a bit overkill, but the longer those connections go without fiddling required, the better!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
viney266

Post by viney266 »

There is always a tube in my tool box. Good stuff, a few good suggestions above.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
87PGOSTAR50GUY

GREASE IS BAD!

Post by 87PGOSTAR50GUY »

From experiance in auto repair and two stroke repair, that so called grease is bad for connections such as plug boots, bulbs and main piwer circuita over time it dries out and cakes ☝ which in term will f off the electricity current flow in automobiles it eats the bulbs inside out.

Not KNOCKING your thoughts and skills but a nice water proofer will do the same justice without the hassle of having torn off conections from plastic/rubber absorbtion.

Spark plug 🐜 + i sieze is the only product i would use but coil boots last the life of the vehicle as long as its covered up.
At the end of the day when its hot and my scoot is hot we both look sexy wet------- who wan the wet competition?

The scooter, man my scoot gets all the the moped tang unlike its dad it doesnt have wedding rings hahah!