Buddy 125 oil level check

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Joel Buddy 125

Buddy 125 oil level check

Post by Joel Buddy 125 »

I've read the service and owners manual and can't see anywhere that states if you should screw the dipstick in to check oil, or to just rest it on the filler neck. I believe my honda pcx states that you should NOT screw in the dipstick and just rest it on the threads.

Clearly these 2 methods give quite a different amount of oil in the small engine. Anyone know for sure? Where did you find the information stating it??
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

The GY6 engine was designed by Honda - so yes - don't thread the dipstick in
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Just to add to the controversy. This is for the Hooligan/Blur, but the Buddy has more or less the same engine. I've been doing it this way without issues. But, in the end, do it whichever way makes you comfortable.
Attachments
chkg oil.JPG
chkg oil.JPG (72.18 KiB) Viewed 993 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I always screw mine to the bottom when I check the oil, I keep the oil level at the top of the hash marks.

I run it for 2 minutes, let sit for 2 minutes, then check the level.
Joel Buddy 125

Post by Joel Buddy 125 »

Talked to my local genuine dealer and they confirmed that you need to screw the dipstick all the way in to check the oil level. Thank you for your replies.

Do any of you do oil filters every other oil change? The manual suggests doing the filter every other which i will definitely do since they are a bit spendy. But I'm curious about the oil amount to put in if the filter isn't changed? Do you generally still remove the filter, dump it out, and then put it back on?
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Personally, I would never do an oil change and not change out the filter. I pay about $13 on Amazon for them. It's cheap insurance if you want to get the most life out of your motor.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Joel Buddy 125 wrote:Do any of you do oil filters every other oil change? The manual suggests doing the filter every other which i will definitely do since they are a bit spendy. But I'm curious about the oil amount to put in if the filter isn't changed? Do you generally still remove the filter, dump it out, and then put it back on?
I changed the filter every 2-4 oil changes(usually ever other oil change,) I changed the oil ever 1200-1700 miles(dino oil.) I didn't remove the filter to drain it out either. My motor last over 44,000 miles.

After the first 2,000 miles these motors don't really need a filter, there are lots of scooters out there that don't even have a filter, other than a screen filter.

When changing just the oil I put ~700 ml in then the run the motor 2 minutes, rest 2 minutes then check the level and add oil as needed.
Joel Buddy 125

Post by Joel Buddy 125 »

I totally agree. My PCX 150 has no oil filter and i definitely trust Honda engineering. I have no worries about changing the filter every other change.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I use semi synthetic oil and change the filter every other oil change. We have year round scootering season around here and no issues so far.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.