full battery problems starting my 170

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

climbguy

full battery problems starting my 170

Post by climbguy »

Sometimes when I start my Buddy 170 it has a hard time turning over, it sounds like it has enough juice to start, but just doesn’t.

Sometimes I find I can get it to work by revving the gas while I press the ignition button, after doing that a few times, most of the time it works.

I replaced the battery a few months ago, so I was worried there was a problem with it or my charger, so I bought this: http://amzn.to/1ogADdL and testing it. Even when I was having problems I was getting 12v+.

Any ideas as to what may be causing the issue?
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Voltage testing and load testing are different - but when is the last time you've reset your throttle body?

Hold the throttle completely open, turn the key on and wait for the fuel pump to turn off then turn the key back off.

A valve adjustment is next on the list of possible problems
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

Thanks avescoots1134, I'll try that I can't recall the last time I tried to reset my throttle. To confirm, by 'wait for the fuel pump to turn off, you are talking about the red light, looks like a 'check engine' sort of light?

I just had it serviced last month, so i wouldn't expect it to be a problem with the valves unless the work wasn't done right.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Yeah, I believe the check engine light syncs with the fuel pump priming. Listen for the whirring sound.

How many miles? Most services don't involve a valve check unless it's specified. It's a bit of extra work and the engine has to fully cool.
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

6,500 miles, I am almost positive they did the vavles, I was told to bring the bike in the day before the appointment so it could cool.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Okay, good. Valve adjustments are pretty hard to screw up so try resetting the throttle body.
climbguy

Post by climbguy »

10-4, I'll try that and report back in a week after i have a larger sample size of how well it works