buddy 125 stuck open petcock? RESOLVED

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

buddy 125 stuck open petcock? RESOLVED

Post by RoaringTodd »

Hello Buddyland. I'm helping my friend with a no working buddy 125. One thing I'm kinda scratching my head on - is it possible for the petcock on a 125 to get stuck open? I tried to drain the fuel from the carb however the fuel coming out measures significantly more than should be in the carb.

I wonder if that itself would be why the scooter wouldn't stay running? She's start but then just shut off.

Thanks. I'll write more about this scooter later when I have time.
Last edited by RoaringTodd on Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Your carb has a belt and suspender system to keep the carb from filling with too much fuel. The petcock is vacuum driven. There is a vacuum line from the carb to the petcock. When the carb sucks, it allows fuel to flow from the petcock. The carb float raises when the bowl gets full and stops more fuel from going into the carb. If your petcock has failed and fuel flows even when the carb is not sucking it is likely to overwhelm the float and more fuel will enter. Good news is a petcock is cheap. It is easy to test. Remove your seat bucket and remove your fuel supply line going into the carb. If fuel is dripping out of it while your scooter is off, replace it. Another reason might be an improper adjustment on the float. If your scooter carb has never been apart and the float messed with, I doubt this is the problem.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Also, CHECK the oil before starting it. The bottom end may be full of gas. If it is, check the air filter as well.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

If the bike hasn't been used for a while then it might have a stuck fuel float in the carburetor from ethanol build-up. That might account for all the excess fuel in the carb. The petcock requires vacuum to flow fuel and unless it is bad fuel should not naturally flow without being hooked up to the vacuum line and the bike running. Regardless, if the bike hasn't been running for a while, start by dismounting the carb and giving it a good cleaning.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

You are correct the petcock should close. I find it to be not perfect especially after sitting. Pull the vacuum hose that goes to the petcock. Disconnect it at the intake manifold then if it's dry(no gas inside the line, if gas is inside the vacuum line the petcock is bad) suck and then blow a few times into the line. You will be able to hear the diaphragm move in the petcock. Usually this will get it working again. Don't blow to hard you can break the diaphragm.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Thanks for the replies. My question is would this, petcock not closing, cause the engine to not run? She'll turn over, run a few seconds and then cut out.

Air filter was full of gas. Oil change was done.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Sounds like you need a carb clean/seat polishing. Even with a stuck open petcock, a fully functioning needle and seat will stop the fuel.

You can polish the seat with a Q-Tip hooked into a drill with some metal polish.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

This is an excellent older thread with pictures of a complete carb clean:

viewtopic.php?t=20718&highlight=clean+125+carb
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

One more question - do the two screws holding the throttle body on the carb just come off for the throttle body to separate from the carb?
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Loosen the clamps on each side and it'll pull out
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I'm talking about the throttle assembly attached to the carb. Two screws and it comes off?
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Oh gotcha - loosen the bottom nut, pull it up and slip the end off of the carb. When reinstalling, adjust the top nut to take the slop out of the throttle
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

The screws that hold the bracket on are kind of soft. I recommend removing the cable. It only takes a minute. 12 mm wrench is what you need
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

lovemysan wrote:The screws that hold the bracket on are kind of soft.
They'll come out with less fuss if a JIS screwdriver is used. Someone wiser on the matter taught me this, and she was right!

The Vessel Motorcycle kit is well worth the money, especially if the screw head has a dimple on it!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Syd

Post by Syd »

I miss Siobhan. :(
The majority is always sane - Nessus
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

thanks for the trip down memory lane, both with the Honda Elite and with Siobhan. RIP
ucandoit

Long history of stuck petcocks

Post by ucandoit »

My Buddy 125 has ALWAYS had issues with a stuck open petcock. I replaced it once and same problem. Bought another one and haven't yet installed it. Am thinking of simply adding a valve into the fuel line to shut the gas flow off manually after each ride. I've had it with petcocks. Every fall I try to drain the carb. and the fuel keeps flowing and flowing because of a stuck petcock. If the float gets stuck, fuel keeps flowing and gets into the engine and also comes out the air filter.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

^ This isn't mine, but a friend's, that I'm trying to fix as a favor to him.

Personally after hearing from some of you I would think about putting some inline fuel shutoff valves or "Inline Petcocks". That would go nicely along the gas line before the fuel filter. A little insurance, and it would make it so much easier to run the fuel out of the carb when you had to instead of trying to access that screw on the bottom of the carb.

Treatland.tv is your friend. Support a specialized moped/scooter website. Ignore Amazon.
Last edited by RoaringTodd on Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

RESOLVED

Fuel has stopped flowing out of the gas line. What I did was to just take the carb apart, check the float and float needle (which was fine), cleaned up with carb cleaner, and put everything back together and reinstall. Before I did that, I blew in the vacuum line that is attached to the intake (front of carb, leading to the motor) and sucked. Gas flowed out, and stopped. I must have jogged something loose.

However the problem of the Buddy turning over, running for a few seconds and then still dying persists. Haven't been able to track down the problem.

:-(
paracer

Post by paracer »

Since fixing the previous issue, is the air filter still wet with fuel? If it is, you may need to adjust the carb float to lower the fuel level in the bowl. It could be flooding out.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

The problem is - I can't get her started long enough to see if gas back flushed to the air cleaner.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

However the problem of the Buddy turning over, running for a few seconds and then still dying persists. Haven't been able to track down the problem.
Did you pull the diaphragm vacuum slide out while you were working on the carb? Very tricky to get it seated correctly on the put back.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

RoaringTodd wrote:RESOLVED

Fuel has stopped flowing out of the gas line. What I did was to just take the carb apart, check the float and float needle (which was fine), cleaned up with carb cleaner, and put everything back together and reinstall. Before I did that, I blew in the vacuum line that is attached to the intake (front of carb, leading to the motor) and sucked. Gas flowed out, and stopped. I must have jogged something loose.

:-(
It could be a wonky bystarter? Kudos to Charlie55 for the comprehensive guide.

I'd also consider pulling the carb again and giving the pilot circuit a careful scrutiny. This circuit is critical for idle operation. Turn the mix screw all the way in, counting the turns, then remove it fully (watch for the spring and small O-ring). Pull the pilot jet. Wear goggles + gloves and blast the whole pilot circuit out with carb cleaner.This includes the venturi port, jet chamber and mix screw chamber. When you reinstall the mix screw, don't forget the spring and O-ring. Turn the screw all the way in, the backit out the same number of turns that you counted at the beginning of the process.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Gonna start a new thread. This thread was originally for a gas flow problem. I think it is something else now. I suspect the engine may be
t o a s t.

Thanks for all your help.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Charlie55 - Whereth Art Thou. Haven't seen you around here in a while.