Best Way To Store Gas Tank?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Best Way To Store Gas Tank?

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

I'm keeping the Stella in the house this winter and I think this weekend I'm going to take the gas tank out so I have better access to the innards. What do you folks think would be the best way to store it for a couple of months? Do I need to coat the insides with oil? I was thinking of sealing it in a trash bag. My house is pretty dry.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Just happen to be doing the same thing with the Suzuki I'm restoring. Aired it out well and placed it into a cardboard box with a few wooden strips on the bottom to keep it away from the cardboard itself. Threw a few of those desiccant packets in the spaces between the strips to wick up any ambient moisture. I was going to go with plastic, but I figured that that'd trap any residual moisture and that it'd be better to let the tank breathe a little.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yup, most important thing is to store it and keep it dry. Keep moisture and humidity out. Keep it someplace it won't develop condensation.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

ericalm wrote:Yup, most important thing is to store it and keep it dry. Keep moisture and humidity out. Keep it someplace it won't develop condensation.
Seems like removing the fuel tank from the scooter to store it is a bit drastic. Why not just leave it in, add a fuel preservative such as Sta-bil and keep it topped off to minimize condensation?

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Tucson
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
'14 170i Hooligan
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

Mainly because I have it in my dining room for the Winter. Also, I'm pulling out the airbox among other things so it's way easier with the tank removed.
I have it in my basement workshop where I always have a dehumidifier going.
Attachments
12540950_1659878010941708_2182701463292024103_n.jpg
12540950_1659878010941708_2182701463292024103_n.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

Most fuel tanks are coated on the inside with a fuel tank sealer. If you think yours isn't, you can buy a sealer like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3H ... ge_o00_s01 and coat it your self. I had my tank enlarged and my friend who did the welding told me I had to re-coat it because of the new metal added to the tank. Just empty the tank and let it dry out. Then pour the tank sealer in and swish it around to coat the entire inside and then drain the excess and let dry. If you have a lot of rust in your tank you can wash it out with a caustic solution first, before doing the sealer.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Having the tank out for a few months will not make a lick of difference. You will be fine having the tank out for years if the tank is empty.