Carb Removal Question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

giddyup98

Carb Removal Question

Post by giddyup98 »

Hi, I'm the new owner of a seafoam green Buddy 125. According to the PO, the carb is all gunked up from sitting. How do I gain access to the carb? Exactly what do I have to remove to get to it?

Thanks!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Four bolts to remove the seat bucket, lift it & seat straight up and all the 'what's it's' are right there....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

And then there's the fuel line coming in, the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the fuel tank (this controls the fuel shutoff on the tank - you might not need to move this), the throttle cable, the electric choke wire, and the clamps holding the carb onto the intake manifold and the air intake. Oh, and a drain tube from the bottom of the carb bowl (?) Did I miss any?

If you disconnect the vacuum line from the manifold, you can then drain the fuel tank by routing the fuel line into a safe container on the ground, then pulling a vacuum on that vac line to open the fuel tap. You might be able to suck on the vac line then clamp it once the valve opens. Good idea to get all vestiges of old bad gas out of the system. Fresh gas, happy scoot.

A word of advice: if you suspect fuel gum-up, it's probably the two jets inside the bottom of the carb. There are good photo-essays on carb cleaning elsewhere on this site. Here's the advice - don't open up the top of the carb. The diaphraghm up top is notoriously fragile and easy to reinstall incorrectly. You probably don't have an air problem (top of carb), just a fuel problem (bottom of carb).
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Follow these instructions:
viewtopic.php?t=20718&highlight=clean+125+carb

Be careful not to tear the vacuum diaphragm when you are trying to remove it. If it has sat for any length of time the slide will be glued in place.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Thanks everyone for all the help!
giddyup98

Success!

Post by giddyup98 »

Well, I was able to get to the float chamber without removing the carb. The float bowl was surprisingly clean, but I did find that the slow jet was plugged up. Cleaned the jet, reassembled everything and she fired right up. She has 172 original miles and is pretty much showroom new. I'm charging up a new battery for her and then I'm all done. Not bad for a $1K investment, a battery and a couple hours of my time.
Attachments
buddy125sm.jpg
buddy125sm.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Good looking scooter. You did well. You're going to enjoy it. Buddy 125 is nothing short of remarkable.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Thanks DeeDee! Can't wait to take her out on the road today.
PeteH

Re: Success!

Post by PeteH »

giddyup98 wrote:Cleaned the jet, reassembled everything and she fired right up.
Well, alright! Well done!
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice score! I would also suggest adding a few ounces of Seafoam to the fuel for two or three fill ups to clean things out!

Don't forget to add it to the Spend_a-Thon! We don't have a scooter in there yet this year!

topic29390.html
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Done!
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200