Buddy 50 cc won't start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Pam

Buddy 50 cc won't start

Post by Pam »

My 2008 Buddy Scooter won't start--put in a new battery, cleaned the air filter, yes it has gas and oil. Won't kick start either (that usually works). It cranks and acts like it wants to start but won't turnover. Never had this problem before. Used it a few weeks ago and it ran fine. Any suggestions? No Buddy service around here. Thinking it may be air flow, gas flow or carburetor, but don't know how to check that myself. Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

How long is a few weeks?
Pam

Buddy 50 cc won't start

Post by Pam »

Exactly 16 days since I used it last time. Usually out and about every 2-3 days for about 10 miles each use.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Sometimes when you let it sit, it takes quite a few cranking attempts to get it started again. Usually if I let it sit longer than 2 or 3 weeks, I need to make about 10 to 20 attempts to get it going.
Last edited by k1dude on Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pam

Buddy 50 cc won't start

Post by Pam »

Thanks for the reply. I spent most of yesterday working on it--lots of kick start attempts and also lots of electric start attempts. No success. Looking for someone here to work on it this week. Will post if I get it started. Thank you.
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

Check the kill switch...spray a starting fluid (used to be ether) into the air cleaner/carb intake and see if it fires...pull the plug and see if there is fuel (vapor) in the cylinder (or wet plug)...see if you have spark by grounding the plug against the cylinder head (wire on) and cranking the engine...

If a quick squirt of starting fluid in the intake causes it to run briefly, it's just a fuel supply issue no gas clogged carb stuck float etc....

Your location is not posted, maybe it's just miserably cold like here....I don't run very well in the cold either
Pam

Buddy 50 cc won't start

Post by Pam »

Thanks for the suggestions about the air filter/carb spray. Will give that a try. I live in Virginia (southwestern mountains) and we are experiencing surprisingly mild weather right now which is why I wanted to ride some more before we get hit with ice/snow. Thanks again for your suggestions--will let you know if I have success!
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Likely needs a carb clean - I've seen ethanol fuel gum in less than a week.
Pam

Buddy 50cc won't start

Post by Pam »

Thanks for the suggestion about a carb clean. I use the high test, pure fuel only. We have a local station that sells fuel with no ethanol. But it is 7 years and probably needs cleaning! Will let you know. Thanks again.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Also if you haven't changed your spark plug in a while, it's a good idea. They get gunked up pretty easily. Auto parts store should have it - NGK BPR7HS
Pam

Buddy 50cc won't start

Post by Pam »

Great idea about the spark plug...will do that too!
Thank you.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Pick up a can of starter fluid, about $3.00 at walmart. Remove your air filter and give it a quick shot of fluid. Now try it. How full is your gas tank? Do you ever use gas treatment? What part of the country are you in?
Pam

Buddy 50 cc won't start

Post by Pam »

I don't use gas treatment, but buy the high test pure gas (no ethanol). Gas tank is 3/4 full. Live in mountains of southwestern Virginia. Have not hit the really cold weather yet. Will try the starter fluid and let you know how it goes! Thanks.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

91 octane is a waste of money, especially if you are at any type of elevation. It might be a good idea to run 1.5 oz of Seafoam every 3rd tank especially if you leave it parked for any length of time. 87 octane with seafoam is good. You don't have high enough compression to need 91 octane. Do you have a full tank of gas now? How old is it?
Pam

Buddy 50 cc won't start

Post by Pam »

We are at about 2500 ft elevation. Gas tank 3/4 full, new fill about 3 weeks ago. Ran fine then, now won't start. Don't know about Seafoam...never been suggested before. Was told to use the Pure gas rather than any of those with ethanol by the Buddy Dealership when I bought the scooter in 2008. Always seemed to do just fine and never had problems like this. What does Seafoam do? I saw it in the auto parts store the other day actually.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Seafoam is a fuel additive that keeps your carb clean and stabilizes your fuel. It has been around for years, and is well used on this forum. If you have some minor carb issues, putting in fresh fuel with a couple of ounces of seafoam has been know to cure the issues. Read reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Foam-SF-16-Mo ... +treatment

Check out this post by sunshinen, go to the very end:
viewtopic.php?t=28342&highlight=

You might have an air leak in the vacuum line going from the petcock to the carb. You really have to determine if it is a fuel delivery issue or a spark issue.

Seeing how it only sat for 16 days, and you have no ethanol in your gas, I doubt you need to pull the carb. I bought a 2013 Roughhouse 50 (same motor) last year that had sat for 10 months with 1/3 tank of gas. The tank was badly corroded. I even tried to start it before I realized this. I pulled the tank and gave it an acid wash. I put it all back together with fresh fuel and seafoam and fired it up. It ran like a top. I never touched the carb. That was after sitting for 10 months, and we use 10% Ethanol in our fuel here.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

DeeDee wrote:91 octane is a waste of money, especially if you are at any type of elevation.
Non ethanol 91 is much better than anything with ethanol in a 2T motor. Personally I run high octane in all my 2T motors to delay detonation.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Pam

Buddy 50 cc won't start

Post by Pam »

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I have someone stopping by today to take a look and listen--he has scooter experience and will help me check out the basics. Will keep you posted!! Cheers. Pam