Who uses cruise control?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Argee

Who uses cruise control?

Post by Argee »

Looking for opinions, anyone use a Go Cruise or some-such, for longer highway rides? What works well, what size did you get?
Snap

Post by Snap »

Do a search for throttle rocker.

Not exactly cruise control but it certainly does take the pain out of the hand on long periods of gripping.

Careful before you get used to it or you might experience "unintended acceleration".
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I installed these on my Yamaha c3. I have a set of soft aftermarket grips that were just about worn out. These were such a tight fit that they now lock my throttle in place wherever I leave it. The spring return is not strong enough to spring the throttle back to idle. I absolutely love it. I have a cruise control at whatever speed I want. Don't know if I would want my throttle stuck wide open on my 170i, but for my 50cc Yamaha it is great.

Grab On Grips Grip Cover

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00230 ... ge_o04_s00

I use one of these on my 170i for longer rides. It's a bit awkward for stop and go travel. It does take a bit to get used to, but it is great for long rides:

Throttle Paddle cruise control lever cramp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Throttle-Paddle ... GM&vxp=mtr
Argee

found a cheap throttle assist

Post by Argee »

Bwa-ha! just tried this giant zip-tie idea I found on the internet, seems to work good so far.
Attachments
GoCruz.jpg
GoCruz.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Jam a toothpick between the grip flange and switch assembly. Old school, simple and cheap. Thats what I used for my Helix when I did highway trips back in the day. Current bike has cruise control from the factory.
DeeDee

Re: found a cheap throttle assist

Post by DeeDee »

Argee wrote:Bwa-ha! just tried this giant zip-tie idea I found on the internet, seems to work good so far.
You just ratchet down the zip tie, and it holds your throttle in place where you leave it?

I'm doing that tomorrow!
iamryan25

Re: found a cheap throttle assist

Post by iamryan25 »

DeeDee wrote:
Argee wrote:Bwa-ha! just tried this giant zip-tie idea I found on the internet, seems to work good so far.
You just ratchet down the zip tie, and it holds your throttle in place where you leave it?

I'm doing that tomorrow!
I think the zip tie is their for leverage - maybe face it the opposite direction so your palm can press against it.

Careful zipping your grip down too hard -- that sounds dangerous.
The red ones are faster.
hewl35

Re: Who uses cruise control?

Post by hewl35 »

Argee wrote:Looking for opinions, anyone use a Go Cruise or some-such, for longer highway rides? What works well, what size did you get?
A friend uses an O ring between the outside of the flared end of the grip and the switch assembly. Puts just a slight drag on the throttle.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'ma fan of the throttle rockers. Cheap and useful. The GoCruise seems interesting, but I'd want to see more feedback from users before changing to something like that.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

A lever doodad is one thing, since if you let go, the throttle still springs closed, but adding friction with a tension zip-tie, O-ring, etc., strikes me as kinda dangerous.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!