Tire pressure question?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Greyscoot

Tire pressure question?

Post by Greyscoot »

The other day, I decided to check the tire pressures on my Honda CH80. The tires are fairly new but were showing low at about 800 miles (11 months). The tires are marked 35psi. I have a bicycle pump with a built in tire pressure gauge. I pumped both tires up to 35psi. A couple of days later, I checked the Honda manual and it says 33psi in the rear and 22psi in the front.

So, should I reduce the front tire pressure to 22psi, or leave it at 35psi? What do you guys think?
george54

Post by george54 »

The markings on the tires probably are there to just state what maximum pressure the tire manufacturer recommends for that type tire, not meaning to use that number for any given bike.

Definitely go with what Honda recommends, although both on my scooters and motorcycle, slightly higher front pressure seems best. Lower your front to 25 not 22.

And set your tire pressures when they are cold- before a ride, not after.
Buy a simple tire gauge at any auto store, don't rely on a tire pump gauge, they can be inaccurate. Check the pressures at least weekly. Before every ride is better.
Last edited by george54 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Reduce the front tire to 22 psi. On the Elite 80 if you run the front tire too hard it will affect handling/stability, specifically it will want to "tank slap*" when it hits bumps and when turning(and even when going straight if you don't have both hand on the handlebars.)

You can go a little harder or softer then the recommendation, but I would go with the recommendation for a while before you make adjustments to get the feel. I always keep the front between 21-25psi and the back around 29-33 psi with the front ~5 psi lower than the back.

I have owned 3 Honda Elite 80s and between the three I have ridden 10-15k.

*When the bars shake back and forth.