RAM Mount for Genuine Hooligan 170i ?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dbbldz123

RAM Mount for Genuine Hooligan 170i ?

Post by dbbldz123 »

Called up Ram Mounts the other week to get a mount for my Hooligan. They told me the parts I needed and I went to order them but then realized that they actually knew nothing about my bike and gave me the wrong information. Somehow I feel like you guys would know better than them. The kind they told me to get would 'clip' onto the handlebars. But obviously there is no place to clip them onto a Hooligan. So I'm assuming I need the mirror mount? But which one? With all the potential options I'm a little overwhelmed. Thanks in advance!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

What are you mounting on it? The mount for mirror stems is okay, but the stems tend to vibrate. Works fine for a GPS or phone; not great for a camera.

This is the one that will mount to the stems (RAM-B-231U): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012TWRAO/

But if there's space at the bottom of the mirror, I actually now prefer this one (RAM-B-272U). I have it on my Stella: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TRIY4

It would mount like this.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dbbldz123

Post by dbbldz123 »

I'm just trying to mount a phone nothing crazy. As you can see there's not really anywhere to mount it to other than the mirror. But not sure how to tell if I'm getting the right size or is it one size fits all?

dbbldz123

Post by dbbldz123 »

lol sorry I think I need a little more help if you can I kind of feel like an idiot for not being able to figure this out but it's confusing no? I get that everything is modular so their parts are interchangeable and stuff but damn I am so lost :cry:

If I were to hypothetically buy the contents of this cart would that work for me?

Already got stuck with the iPhone cradle that the RAM mounts customer service dude told me to get along with a mount that didn't work at all so I'm kinda stuck with that one now or else I'd just buy an all in one solution and call it a day.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Brake fluid reservoir top?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
dbbldz123

Post by dbbldz123 »

RoaringTodd wrote:Brake fluid reservoir top?
huh? sorry I'm not very scooter literate. I'm just looking for very specific advice and not sure what you are implying can you elaborate?
Berner

Post by Berner »

RoaringTodd wrote:Brake fluid reservoir top?
It's tucked away underneath the top cowling on the Hooligan. Would probably be tough to find a modular mounting solution that would work there.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Those mounts should work. The base that attaches to the scooter might be a little tight under the rubber at the bottom of the mirror. It's still better than the first type of base, which will scratch the black off the mirror stem.

You'll probably want a longer arm, though, to allow you to position the phone for better visibility. The short arm won't give you much room to work with.

I use the brake reservoir mount on my Helix. No, I don't haul this much gear on my daily commute.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

I put a RAM mount cup holder attachment on my boyfriend's Hooligan as part of his birthday present. Used that same mirror mount attachment and ball-arm. They work really well and stay put for him!
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

ericalm wrote:No, I don't haul this much gear on my daily commute.
Man Eric, That's quite the battle scoot you have there.

Is that from your Cannonball?
issue31

on my 170

Post by issue31 »

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JohnKiniston wrote:Man Eric, That's quite the battle scoot you have there.

Is that from your Cannonball?
Same scooter, different ride! I learned a lot about loading for touring during Cannonball, ha. I actually have a plan to strip this Helix to the frame and turn it into a semi-naked ADV scooter. Maybe for Cannonball 2018.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

If you are willing I'd love to hear some of the things you learned.

I've done scooter touring but nothing coast to coast yet!