ANOTHER NEW WAGON TRAILER FOR THE SCOOT!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Chip Gelmini

ANOTHER NEW WAGON TRAILER FOR THE SCOOT!

Post by Chip Gelmini »

OK. Here we go again.

After 22 (*) years, the Radio Flyer wagon trailers have been retired. And now, I present my newest version, custom built in my Dad’s woodshop.

The Radio Flyers were 17 x 42. For larger loads, a tandem was used. Of course this made backing up nearly impossible.

The new trailer is 24 x 48. The single trailer alone can hold the load of a tandem.

I also expanded the removable side rails. On the Radio Flyers the side rails have three strips of wood making up the side wall. On mine, there are two. I eliminated the third, and made the gap between them bigger. This allows for fitting my hand through when securing a bungee cord to hold the load.

The new side walls are 12 inches tall. They sit on top of the 2 x 4 stud framing. The top of the side rails are just below the lights on the scooter. The idea here is no cargo should be taller than the side rails. This keeps the cargo inside, and allows drivers from behind to see the scooter lights. Because at this point and time, I cannot figure out how to wire tail lights in to the electrical system that could power lights on the trailer.

A few years ago when this first started, I checked with the local police about pulling with the scooter. The officer said the trailers should have lights. But he also noted the large laminated sign I installed, that would reflect headlights (“share the road”). It is also noted that even with the time changing of the clocks (fall back / spring ahead) I do NOT make it a habit of riding at night.

Total cost for this trailer: $60.00 (not including 6 hours estimated labor + recycled hardware from the retired wagons)

Take that, Radio Flyer!

(*) The wagons have been pulled with standard bicycles for 20 years, and with the scooter for the last 2 years. In general, they showed their signs of age and had to be replaced.

CHIP GELMINI
DAYTONA BEACH, FLORIDA
NOVEMBER 2015
Attachments
IMG_0643.jpg
IMG_0643.jpg (121.56 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
IMG_0641.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg (113.3 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
IMG_0640.jpg
IMG_0640.jpg (158.48 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
IMG_0639.jpg
IMG_0639.jpg (135.17 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
IMG_0638.jpg
IMG_0638.jpg (129.85 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0637.jpg (119.29 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
Chip Gelmini

NEW WAGON FOR THE SCOOT CONTINUED

Post by Chip Gelmini »

MORE PICTURES previous post continues
Attachments
These have been retired.
These have been retired.
img_0128_614.jpg (160.62 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
IMG_0642.jpg
IMG_0642.jpg (93.51 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hey, just FYI, I merged your two topics so it's all in one post.

The trailer is awesome, btw!

Can you share pics/info on the hitch?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That's awesome! Great job. I assume the hitch allows for the scooter to lean into turns without uncoupling the trailer.
As far as lights on the trailer, it seems to me it would be a simple matter of tapping into the scooters tail light harness and adding a electrical connector so that you could plug the trailer lights into the harness when necessary. The electrical connectors and tail light assemblies can be bought at most auto parts stores such as Autozone.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Chip Gelmini

MORE INFO ON THIS PROJECT

Post by Chip Gelmini »

Thank you for merging the posts and pictures. It was split due to more than 6 images uploaded. If there is a different way to continue other than starting another post, please tell me.

topic13478.html

Click the link for more information. You asked about the bike hitch. Find my post dated Dec 31st of last year (I think) and scroll down to see hitch photos in that related post.

I'll use the trailer again soon and make some more pictures, including the bottom of it as well.

Anybody near Daytona Beach wanting to start a group ride? I'm interested. Please contact me.

Chip G
Chip Gelmini

even more new trailer pictures

Post by Chip Gelmini »

Loaded with some stuff, note the cargo does not go above the side rails.

This allows lights on the scooter can be seen by traffic.

Also as requested close up pictures of the hitch and tow bar. The sponges absorb the noise of vibration from the tow bar and hitch assembly. The sponges have been replaced by a rubber stopper with a hole drilled through then cut in half. Installed as you see the sponges.

The hitch was a quick design. It could look nicer but it does the job and I'm happy.
Attachments
IMG_0654.jpg
IMG_0654.jpg (156.4 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
IMG_0659.jpg
IMG_0659.jpg (146.23 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
IMG_0662.jpg
IMG_0662.jpg (172.71 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
IMG_0660.jpg
IMG_0660.jpg (159.51 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
IMG_0657.jpg
IMG_0657.jpg (164.65 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
IMG_0656.jpg
IMG_0656.jpg (159.79 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Top speed?
Chip Gelmini

Post by Chip Gelmini »

Average 20 MPH

I could probably pick it up a bit but am more comfortable at 20. It just feels safer. I'm also retired, and can adjust my schedule to allow extra time to get where I am going.
george54

Post by george54 »

If you ride at 20 MPH, you need to get off the road and turn in your license. You're a menace. Oh wait, you're in Florida, it's OK.