Touch-Up Paint

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

drinkingthestars

Touch-Up Paint

Post by drinkingthestars »

I have some unsightly scratches on the matching top case for my mocha-colored Buddy 170. I figured I could disguise them pretty well with some touch-up paint. The Genuine website claims touch-up paints for scooters are available at Genuine dealerships, but mine says they don't have any and that it is not available to them from Genuine. I did some searching and found what I needed here:

http://scooterpaint.com/products/bm23-mocha

It's pricey stuff and there is no address or contact information on the website. Is anyone familiar with this company or have a reliable source for touch-up paint?
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

This might be a little harder to find with brown, but I actually use nail polish for scratch touch-ups.
george54

Post by george54 »

If you're looking to disguise or just lessen the scratches to where they are tolerable to your eye, I've had success in the past with colored Sharpie markers followed by a good paste wax.

With brown you could also use a furniture touch up pen, they come in many shades. Usually hanging on a card near the Minwax stains in Home Depots.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

How about this: www.scooterloungeonline.com
Search for SKU "PAINT1 LT MOCHA"
Not cheap at around $18, but the color will at least match.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Touch up paint is often not a precise match with the scooter. There are a lot of reasons for this, but batches can have subtle variations that aren't so subtle when trying to fix scratches with a pen.

There was a company a few years ago that was contracted to do the Genuine touch up paints, and I suspect this is them. So if you order some from a dealer or shop, you may get the same stuff.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
drinkingthestars

Post by drinkingthestars »

Thanks, all. Good suggestions. I think I would have just gone with the touch-up paint (I did get in touch with the company) but my scooter was stolen tonight--the third in five years. There's been a rash of thefts in the neighborhood and the cops can't do a thing about it. Starting a new thread on this.