Buddy 125 fuel filter rubber mounting grommet.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

k1dude

Buddy 125 fuel filter rubber mounting grommet.

Post by k1dude »

I purchased a NCY replacement fuel filter from Scooterworks:

http://www.scooterworks.com/ncy-in-line ... hRNfnpViko

But, I found that the diameter of the new filter is smaller than the stock filter. The stock filter is held to the metal filter mounting bracket with a rubber mounting grommet that the filter slides through and then the grommet slides onto the mounting bracket.

Does anyone know what that rubber mounting grommet is called and if they come in different sizes from an auto or motorcycle store? Or is it a proprietary piece made for the Buddy? I notice on the fuel tank schematic, that the grommet is shown already on the fuel filter rather than as a separate piece fitted onto the filter. The metal mounting bracket is also not shown on the drawings.

I could just zip-tie it to the bracket, but the NCY filter body is made of glass and I don't want it bashing against the metal bracket. I could slide a piece of rubber between the two, but I would fear it might fall away with use.

The actual stock replacement fuel filter is available through scooterlounge, but I figured I'd try a nicer and fancier NCY one from Scooterworks. But now I have this conundrum to deal with.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I wrapped a strip of old inner tube around the NCY filter, enough to bring it up to sufficient diameter to hold securely in the mount. Anything similar would probably work as well.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

HowHH wrote:I wrapped a strip of old inner tube around the NCY filter, enough to bring it up to sufficient diameter to hold securely in the mount. Anything similar would probably work as well.
I figured as much. I was just hoping there was an actual manufactured part with a larger diameter. I guess tire tube will have to do.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The replacement filter in my Blur is also smaller than the original filter. I just installed it in the stock location using the original (oversized) rubber support as a sling to hold the smaller filter. Working fine so far.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

babblefish wrote:The replacement filter in my Blur is also smaller than the original filter. I just installed it in the stock location using the original (oversized) rubber support as a sling to hold the smaller filter. Working fine so far.
Hmm. I could do that, but I'd rather have a snug fit. So I'll try rubber tubing. But if that fails, I'll use your sling method.