RH50 Theft

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stinkdyr

RH50 Theft

Post by Stinkdyr »

Downtown Crossing, Boston. 9/11/15 between the hours of 5pm-7:30pm.
Very crowded intersection with hundreds of taxpayers walking around and dining in cafes 20 or 30 feet away. Doormen at luxury condo buildings no more than 30 feet away. Security cameras all over. Nobody saw anything of course, or if they did, they did nothing about it. One doorman told me someone mentioned seeing 2 teen black kids hanging around my scooter.
I spoke to the building security guy who monitors their security cameras to see if he would replay some tapes so I could spot the thieves. He replied that he is not allowed to do that. I have to report it to the police, then THEY can come and demand to see the video footage. But you and I both know that when you report it stolen, they just make you fill out a 6 page report, then they do nothing to investigate the theft.

My big mistake was assuming this was a safe enough area not to use my Kryptonite lock and chain through the wheel to a lamp post. Instead I used my lighter coiled cable bicycle lock to lock it to a lamp post. Evidently the hoodlums had no problem jacking that open, then jamming a screwdriver into the ignition and riding it away. Learn from my mistake. No spot is safe. Always use a big heavy chain and Kryptonite type lock through the wheel to a post.
nysheepy

Post by nysheepy »

Sorry for your loss. Hope you have full coverage insurance including theft? Probably still a good idea to file a report with police to make it 'official', and possibly insurance can cover a replacement ride for you?
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

That royally SUCKS! Sorry to hear that your ride got jacked. Had my first scooter stolen from my (presumed to be safe) gated apartment complex. I definitely learned my lesson about using a heavy chain the hard way too...unfortunately.
george54

Post by george54 »

Always a good idea to make a police report. What happens if it gets found in good shape and they don't have a report? They may not make the extra effort to try to find you and just auction it off.

Also, how else can they know that there is a problem? Even if they don't investigate now, if enough crime gets reported then they will be forced to act. When crime stats embarrass someone, THEN there'll be action.
And why let your fellow residents think there's no crime when there really is?
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

I will definitely make a police report.
And better than that, I think I might be in contact with a guy who took pics of the kids stealing it. I will include those in the police report also. The police will do nothing of course, but if I see those kids again, and somehow figure out who they are, I will sue them in small claims court and try to recover the $ that way. It is a stretch, but will post back with any updates.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Perhaps post the photo on bulletin boards in the area.
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

I got the photos yesterday, they are very clear and close up. There are no bulletin boards in the area. I could put them up on Craigs List to warn people, or keep an eye out for the thieves. Any other ideas on how to use them?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Scoot.net has a Stolen Scooter Registry.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!