250cc or 300cc Scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TomA

250cc or 300cc Scooter

Post by TomA »

I know Genuine doesn't make a scooter this large, and I love my Buddy 125. What would my fellow Genuine scooter lovers recommend for a 250cc or 300cc scooter that would provide power, performance, and, Genuine Scooter Company reliability?

Thanks!
ScootiePuffJr

Post by ScootiePuffJr »

I test rode a Kymco People GTI 300 last week and it was a sweet ride. Great handling and breaks. I didn't get to open the throttle much but it clearly has some power.

I love my Buddy 125 too. But I think my next scooter will be in the 300-350cc range. I think I would like having the extra power for highway riding.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well let me think. Who makes the most highly regarded 250/300 scooter in a modern CVT configuration - complete with something of a retro feel and plenty of history? That would be the Vespa GTS. It is a great scooter and there are plenty of used ones around if the price new runs you off. Yes, there are some others around in the size range (though not many), but you'd be making a major mistake if you did not evaluate it as a serious option.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

If you're looking for a 250 to 300 cc scooter............I would recommend a 155 cc scooter.

That's right, it wasn't a typo.

Check out the Yamaha SMAX. It's a 155 cc scooter that has the speed and power of scooters with twice the displacement. It can do 75 mph and gets 75+ mpg.

Don't ask me how they do it. I suspect it's voodoo of some sort. But I wasn't a believer until I rode one. Unbelievable performance out of a 155.

But it's big. So it doesn't have the nimble flickability of the Buddy. But man can it move out and climb hills.

Check it out. You won't regret it.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

A friend of mine has a Kymco 300 gti. It has been at the dealer, under warranty with a fuel injection problem since early April. They supposedly can't figure out what is wrong with it. I agree with Dooglas 100%. In the area of $3500, you could get yourself a smokin' used 250. I think the earlier Vespa 200L is a great scooter for the money. $2,000 to $2,500 you can get your self a low mileage one. I like this scooter because it is a big bore, Leader engine with a carb. They go for ever and are fairly easy to work on. Not my style, but two great entry level maxi-scooters would be the 400cc Yamaha Majesty or 400 Burgman.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Or you could hope for a miracle and hope that Scomadi will offer a 300cc and it will be available in America.

TomA

Post by TomA »

Thanks for all the input. I like the retro look of the Vespa's. I live in SC and don't see any 200cc to 300cc scooters on Craigslist. Where would you suggest I look for a used scooter? I just wish Genuine made a 250cc or 300cc Buddy.

Thanks.
Syd

Post by Syd »

The HD200 from SYM. 171cc engine that runs like most 250s, solid as a rock, modern styling, 16" wheels.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
easy

Post by easy »

I got a gti 300 10,000 miles so far with no problems.
Hate that the gas cap is under the seat unloading it to fuel up gets old on trips.
Great brakes, seat is good for a fuel run, comes with a top box that's keyed to match
Ignition key. Really have to watch your speed it likes to run about 70 plus and it don't feel like your going that fast.
I would also look at Bv350 also. Honda Fonza 300 if your a Honda fan, I've heard it's slow for a 300.
what did you trade the day for?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

srbbnd wrote:Or you could hope for a miracle and hope that Scomadi will offer a 300cc and it will be available in America.

I'm not much into vintage styled scooters, but this Lambretta looking scoot is something I would buy.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I too have been wanting something new. Tried/sat on everything and the only thing the wife and I agree on is the Burgman 200-but the knees up riding position reminds me of a Helix. There is a 04 Helix for sale on our local c-list, in yellow!, but I kinda got spoiled by modern technology. So the search will continue......
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Vespa makes a scoot that size with classic styling. The Piaggio BV 350 is larger but still has classic looks. The BV line of scoots has suffered some reliability problems lately, though.
I agree that the Yamaha SMAX 155 is worth consideration, though it has sport bike styling.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

srbbnd wrote:Or you could hope for a miracle and hope that Scomadi will offer a 300cc and it will be available in America.
The latest on the Scomadi is that it will be a 200 (as Piaggio would not franchise their 300 engine), and the likelihood of it coming to the US appears to be zip.

http://www.2commute.co.uk/2015/08/11/ne ... announced/
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

TomA wrote:Thanks for all the input. I like the retro look of the Vespa's. I live in SC and don't see any 200cc to 300cc scooters on Craigslist. Where would you suggest I look for a used scooter? I just wish Genuine made a 250cc or 300cc Buddy.

Thanks.
This looks like just the ticket: http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcd/5150091735.html

Under 900 miles
http://asheville.craigslist.org/mcy/5182856476.html

Another one
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/5148489551.html
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

TomA wrote:I like the retro look of the Vespa's. I live in SC and don't see any 200cc to 300cc scooters on Craigslist. Where would you suggest I look for a used scooter?
Here is what appears to be a nice one near Atlanta.
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/mcy/5156736313.html
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I got yer retro right here:

(I get 5 bucks from Honda every time I work a Helix into a thread).
skipper20

Re: 250cc or 300cc Scooter

Post by skipper20 »

TomA wrote:I know Genuine doesn't make a scooter this large, and I love my Buddy 125. What would my fellow Genuine scooter lovers recommend for a 250cc or 300cc scooter that would provide power, performance, and, Genuine Scooter Company reliability?

Thanks!
Just a bit short of 250cc but take a hard look at Genuine's Blur 220i. 220cc fuel injected engine with Genuine's outstanding reliability. Also, check out the Aprilia Sportcity 250ie. Piaggio fuel injected 250cc engine and 15" wheels and tires make this a real winner.

Bill in Seattle
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I did a bunch of research recently and was shocked to discover there are no new 250cc bikes on the market.

All the manufacturers have gone up to 300's.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I remember hearing about a Sym Fiddle III 200cc model last year, looks like everything the Kymco Like should have been. Haven't seen much since for the US market, I think it's been available in Europe as of this spring.

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/ar ... -new-rides
Syd

Post by Syd »

You should wait for the Genuine Cruiser (aka the Genuine Flying Rainbow Unicorn).
Dooglas

Re: 250cc or 300cc Scooter

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote: Also, check out the Aprilia Sportcity 250ie. Piaggio fuel injected 250cc engine and 15" wheels and tires make this a real winner.
I have a Sport City and like it - though I would hardly call it retro. The catch, however, is that Aprilia seems to be deserting the scooter business. There have been no new Sport Citys since 2010.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

Dooglas wrote:
The latest on the Scomadi is that it will be a 200 (as Piaggio would not franchise their 300 engine), and the likelihood of it coming to the US appears to be zip.

Lame sauce, was fantasizing that one day the Scomadi could be the replacement for my Stella. However, think I would need a manual shifter, just feels right. Maybe one day another manual shifter scooter will show up in America.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Syd wrote:The HD200 from SYM. 171cc engine that runs like most 250s, solid as a rock, modern styling, 16" wheels.

This! :+!:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Dooglas wrote:Well let me think. Who makes the most highly regarded 250/300 scooter in a modern CVT configuration - complete with something of a retro feel and plenty of history? That would be the Vespa GTS. It is a great scooter and there are plenty of used ones around if the price new runs you off. Yes, there are some others around in the size range (though not many), but you'd be making a major mistake if you did not evaluate it as a serious option.
Once again Dooglas great minds think alike.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Charlie55 hit the nail on the head. If you want the most comfortable, inexpensive to buy, easy and cheap to maintain, you want a Honda helix. Honda sold a zillion of them, so there are plenty to be had. Part are plentiful. You can ride ALL DAY and not be sore or stiff. If you live in a small town, it may take you hours to drive to someone who services a Vespa, but you are likely less than 30 minutes from someone who services Hondas.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
george54

Post by george54 »

Howardr wrote:Charlie55 hit the nail on the head. If you want the most comfortable, inexpensive to buy, easy and cheap to maintain, you want a Honda helix. Honda sold a zillion of them, so there are plenty to be had. Part are plentiful. You can ride ALL DAY and not be sore or stiff. If you live in a small town, it may take you hours to drive to someone who services a Vespa, but you are likely less than 30 minutes from someone who services Hondas.

Howard
Yeah but too bad it's butt ugly from every angle.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Glad someone else said it first... :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

george54 wrote:
Howardr wrote:Charlie55 hit the nail on the head. If you want the most comfortable, inexpensive to buy, easy and cheap to maintain, you want a Honda helix. Honda sold a zillion of them, so there are plenty to be had. Part are plentiful. You can ride ALL DAY and not be sore or stiff. If you live in a small town, it may take you hours to drive to someone who services a Vespa, but you are likely less than 30 minutes from someone who services Hondas.

Howard
Yeah but too bad it's butt ugly from every angle.
Just cut down the windshield or, if you don't want to do that, just put a short shield on it. There's always somebody selling them on e-Bay. The short shield gets rid of the grandpa factor. Then, just rock it proudly. Haters gonna hate no matter what you ride.
Attachments
Honda Helix Cut-Down Windshield
Honda Helix Cut-Down Windshield
Honda Helix Cut-Down Windshield.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
Syd

Post by Syd »

What about the Elite?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrsjr wrote:Just cut down the windshield or, if you don't want to do that, just put a short shield on it. There's always somebody selling them on e-Bay. The short shield gets rid of the grandpa factor. Then, just rock it proudly.
Maybe you could paint it white and put a chrome handle from an old Frigidaire on each side. :wink:
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Dooglas wrote:

I love my SMAX! I can go 80 miles an hour and I am getting 85 mpg and it is not broke in yet.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

bgwss wrote:
Dooglas wrote:

I love my SMAX! I can go 80 miles an hour and I am getting 85 mpg and it is not broke in yet.
I looked at one of those over the weekend, Sadly I'm too well endowed in the lower legs to fit one comfortably.

Also sat on the Burgman 200 and Burgman 650.

Just, Yknow, For fun?
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

BeefSupreme wrote:I remember hearing about a Sym Fiddle III 200cc model last year, looks like everything the Kymco Like should have been. Haven't seen much since for the US market, I think it's been available in Europe as of this spring.

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/ar ... -new-rides

well, it's actually going to be 169cc and approx 12 HP. so...not a whole lot different from the Like.

http://www.sym-global.com/product/index/280/73
Point37

Post by Point37 »

necrothread...i'd love to see a 300-500cc genuine scooter...i feel like a 350 would be perfect...the bv350 seems like a sweet spot for scooter engine size...i just like the older step through style of the buddy vs the bv as well as the plastic panels...would probably want a little larger tires as well
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Point37 wrote:necrothread...i'd love to see a 300-500cc genuine scooter...i feel like a 350 would be perfect...the bv350 seems like a sweet spot for scooter engine size...i just like the older step through style of the buddy vs the bv as well as the plastic panels...would probably want a little larger tires as well
Don't hold your breath waiting for a Genuine product. People have been screaming for a Genuine 250cc+ scooter for over a decade and there's no hint they're even interested.

You should consider the new BMW C400X soon coming to our shores. It's a 350cc that can do 90 mph with a 15" wheel up front and a 14" in the rear. Supposedly very performance oriented.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

There was the Blur 220, back in the day, but I'd steer clear of those seeing as they have been out of production for a long time, and parts can't be easy to come by at this point.

As for the Yamaha SMAX, I'll bet Yamaha had a good hard look at the Honda PCX and said "well we can do better...." I haven't ridden one myself, but if the performance is as you claim, it must be something high compression and liquid cooled.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

k1dude wrote: Don't hold your breath waiting for a Genuine product. People have been screaming for a Genuine 250cc+ scooter for over a decade and there's no hint they're even interested.

You should consider the new BMW C400X soon coming to our shores. It's a 350cc that can do 90 mph with a 15" wheel up front and a 14" in the rear. Supposedly very performance oriented.
def interested but only after it's been used...i assume they will be big money new...also at 455 pounds it's not exactly light but i bet it stays planted well on the highway...but i wonder how agile it is...i'm more interested in something that's still fun to ride with a good a power to weight ratio while still maintaining a smaller footprint...there is a certain point that a scooter starts to look too big to me...some of the below look too large to me and may as well be a motorcycle at that point

-genuine buddy 125 9.7hp/220lbs (0.044)
-suzuki burgman 400 30hp/474lbs (0.063)
-vespa gts 300 super 22hp/330lbs (0.067)
-yamaha xmax 27.6hp/397lbs (0.070)
-bmw c 400 x 34hp/450lbs (.076)
-kymco xtown 300 35hp/425lbs (0.082)
-piaggio bv350 32.8hp/390lbs (0.084)
-piaggio bv500 39hp/416lbs (0.094)

i had a supermoto that was 60hp/260lbs (0.231)...now i know there isn't a scooter that can get anywhere near that number but if they could make something that comes close to the bv350 that would be what i'm looking for...from what i read the bv350 is the best mix of agility and power that's available in the US right now...it seems like a sweet spot in scooter size...are there any models i'm missing in my list above?
Last edited by Point37 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I love my BV350. I wish it was built by a Japanese firm. It handles like a motorcycle with the no-shifting and storage capacity of a scoot'. The looks are quite good in my estimation and the ABS/ASB are a deal closer.
Others: SMAX, Burgman 200, XMAX
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

I don't see PGO building something over 170cc so I wouldn't wait up