Best battery for a Genuine Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jrottem_46

Best battery for a Genuine Buddy 125

Post by Jrottem_46 »

I just wanted to see which batteries you have found to be the best working batteries? I am looking for something that isn't too expensive and is not a cheapo battery. I am a new buddy owner and thought it would be helpful to hear from your experience with replacing a battery.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I like AGM type batteries. Tried a few different brands of AGM batts in my cars & motorcycles over the years & they seem to last long & hold a charge a long time. AGM is "Absorption Glass Mat". Sealed so you don't have to add water. They cost a little more than lead acid batts but way cheaper than lithium ions. As to what's available for the Buddy, not sure but I'll do some looking.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

I've got a PowerSonic in mine now and it's lasted me a good couple of years so far with no trouble. I ride everywhere every day so a reliable battery is a must (especially given how much harder it is to kick a 4T over than a 2T...at least in my experience). Another good but not too expensive brand is Yuasa.

Just don't forget to unplug anything from your 12V/USB charging port, it'll drain the battery if the scoot's not running.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I used to use Sears Diehard batteries, but after going through two of them decided to try a YTX9-BS Mighty Max AGM battery. I got mine through Amazon for $30 with free shipping. This is about a third of the price of the Diehard and the Diehard was not AGM and had to be filled with acid by the user. I haven't had the Mighty Max long enough to know how long it will last, but it starts the high compression engine in my scoot with no problem. Oh, and it came pre-charged.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
MYSCTR

EverStart PowerSport Battery, Group Size ES9BS

Post by MYSCTR »

We went with the ES9-BS EverStart Walmart battery when we replaced our factory batteries. One reason was it holds just a little bit more juice so combining this battery with the battery mod and keeping the 125/150 scoots on a trickle charger once a week, we never had any battery issues.

With over 60,000 miles between three riders riding Buddy scooters, we have only installed two of these. Otherwise the factory batteries have been fine.

Wal-Mart ES9-BS Battery - Compatible:
Manufacturer Universal Power Group
Model Adventure Power UTX9-BS Battery (YTX9-BS)
Weight 5.4
Volts 12
Amp-Hour 8
CCA 120
Length 6
Width 3.44
Height 4.19
Warranty 1 Year
Chemistry Dry Charge AGM
Polarity | + |||||| - |
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The other alternate is the YTX10-S or equivalent (UTX10-S, YTZ10-S, etc) from other manufacturers. It is also a higher capacity battery but, unlike the 9-BS, does not require a mod to the lid of the battery container. I have no idea why it is not the standard battery for the Buddy.
george54

Post by george54 »

Can you use a 'standard' battery tender with an AGM battery?
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

george54 wrote:Can you use a 'standard' battery tender with an AGM battery?
Not sure what you mean by 'standard' yet we have always used a trickle charger that shuts off once full to not hurt the battery yet keep it topped off.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

george54 wrote:Can you use a 'standard' battery tender with an AGM battery?
I have used both Battery Tender Junior and 1A/2A Black and Decker battery tender with the AGM batteries in our scooters. I don't believe AGM batteries have any special charging requirements.
TCaruso

Post by TCaruso »

I picked up a gel battery from Chrome Battery back in May from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUV ... ge_o09_s01

The LCD display can appear a bit gimmicky but it's a pretty useful feature I haven't had any issues yet and no problems with my trickle charger.
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

TCaruso wrote:I picked up a gel battery from Chrome Battery back in May from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUV ... ge_o09_s01

The LCD display can appear a bit gimmicky but it's a pretty useful feature I haven't had any issues yet and no problems with my trickle charger.
I have had this same battery in the YTX9-BS size since spring, and it has been great. The YTX9 size is larger than the stock battery, so the fins on the battery compartment door did need a bit of work with my dremel, but having the extra juice has been great.
keltick

Post by keltick »

I have the Power-Sonic (PTZ10S) and am a bit light accessories happy. Haven't ever had an issue.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I1K ... ge_o02_s00
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I recently purchased a Mighty Max YTZ10S battery. (https://www.mightymaxbattery.com/p34621 ... ttery.html) As Dooglas pointed out above it's a higher capacity battery in the same size package as the OEM Buddy battery.

The equivalent YUASA battery is more than $100. The Mighty Max version is $30 with free ground shipping. It's an AGM battery as well. It arrived fully charged with no need to add the acid to the cells. The Mighty Max is also available on Amazon and seems to get decent reviews. For $30 I'm willing to take a chance and see how it holds up.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

HowHH wrote:I recently purchased a Mighty Max YTZ10S battery. (https://www.mightymaxbattery.com/p34621 ... ttery.html) As Dooglas pointed out above it's a higher capacity battery in the same size package as the OEM Buddy battery.

The equivalent YUASA battery is more than $100. The Mighty Max version is $30 with free ground shipping. It's an AGM battery as well. It arrived fully charged with no need to add the acid to the cells. The Mighty Max is also available on Amazon and seems to get decent reviews. For $30 I'm willing to take a chance and see how it holds up.
I've had mine for a couple of months now and so far it has been working great. I recently had an engine problem where it didn't want to start so I did a lot of cranking with the electric starter, but the battery never gave up and I never had to put it on an external charger.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

babblefish wrote:I've had mine for a couple of months now and so far it has been working great. I recently had an engine problem where it didn't want to start so I did a lot of cranking with the electric starter, but the battery never gave up and I never had to put it on an external charger.
Good to know!