Buddy 170i Engine Light on Cold Start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

c0d4041292

Buddy 170i Engine Light on Cold Start

Post by c0d4041292 »

Hey Guys! My name is Cody Rowland.

I've look through these forums for about a year now but this is my first time posting.

I have an originally Oxford Green 2012 Buddy 170i that I've converted to flat black with an aftermarket muffler.

My Scooter has been pretty reliable and problem free so far. It has almost 14,000 miles on it.

Besides the Drive belt, oil, and battery. The only thing I've had to fix is the Muffler (and 3 times at that due to bolts falling out and the muffler breaking the weld and falling apart.)

My issue now is that when I turn the key to the "on" position the Engine light comes on for it's normal power on cycle then goes off. Then about 3-5 seconds after it goes off it will come back on. It will do this whether or not I crank the bike and have it running or not.

I'm not sure that it is a battery issue because it cranks right up everytime without hesitation.

The weird part is... with the engine light on, if I drive for 1-2 miles, Cut the bike off the back on, the engine light will do its prestart and then stay off. So once it is warmed up, the light stays off.

I was hoping you guys had some insight on what may be the issue or ways to read the engine light.

I should also note I just had what I like to call my old vehicle service done. Every oil got change, valves adjusted, sparkplug and engine internals checked. Pretty much EVERYTHING just got inspected 2 days before this issue started.

This leads me to believe that it could be a loose wire or bad connection. The closet Genuine Buddy Dealer is over 3 hours away so it is not feasible to take it in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
MufflerSide
MufflerSide
IMG_0111.JPG (176.96 KiB) Viewed 470 times
KickSide
KickSide
IMG_0109 (2).JPG (186.6 KiB) Viewed 470 times
DashAndMiles
DashAndMiles
IMG_0108 (2).JPG (148.76 KiB) Viewed 470 times
c0d4041292

Post by c0d4041292 »

~~~BUMP~~~

Cody Again.

It is starting to have this issue a lot more.. looks like a trip to the authorized service is needed. I wont be able to get there for another week though. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

It's doing it after being warmed up now. Lots of hiccups in the power while driving.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

Wish I could help. I've had my 170's for only a year, and I really can't say. Could be a sensor, software, ???? I just have no idea.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hey Cody, before you haul it 3 hours to your dealer, try resetting the computer. I don't know of any way to do it other than to disconnect the battery and let it sit for a while. The battery is under the floor mat. Just disconnect the cable from the negative terminal. Let it sit, I dunno, long enough to go make a cup of coffee, then hook it back up and see if that gets rid of the problem.
c0d4041292

Post by c0d4041292 »

So I Disconnected and reconnected the battery! The engine light has not come back on.

I also took it apart and just re-seated all the electrical connections.

Seems to be fine... For now. =P Has been good for 3 hours of driving with 0 hiccups.

Thanks for that idea.