What gas additives do people routinely use

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

What gas additives do people routinely use

Post by ucandoit »

I use to buy a gallon of the highest octane gas for my scooter until I found out (on this site) that it would take at least 4 gallons for the best stuff to clear the gas hose and reach my scooter, which only needs one gallon. So, the heck with that. Now, I fill up directly with the cheap stuff. But, I also add an ounce of Sea Foam to about every 3rd tank of gas during the riding season.

For those who ride regularly, not letting the scooter sit, I'm wondering if they have a routine of using additives: Stabil, Sea Foam, Lucas fuel treatment, etc. I know there is a lot of science about this, but I'm curious about what people Actually do.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I use Seafoam every tank or two. I've gone without using it several times, and the scooter seems to suffer as a result. When I go back to using it, the scooter seems happy again. So now it's just a normal part of my routine.

I've always used 87 octane. But, I tried 89 for the first time yesterday. I'll try it for a few tanks to see if I can tell any mileage or performance benefits.
Invisibleanomaly

Post by Invisibleanomaly »

I always use 91, but didn't know that there was an option. Given that it's a gallon or so at a time it seems like it's not a big deal to put the extra 30 cents out. I use Seafoam in my car, but never thought about using it in my scooter, how silly is that? About an ounce at time is right? I ride the scooter exclusively year-round in San Diego, so it gets no down time. Maybe I need to start showing it more love.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

Seafoam only when in winter storage. Otherwise, ethanol free premium unleaded.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I used to use star tron and was pleased with it, until I found K100. The stuff works better than ANYTHING I have tried.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I just use premium gas and nothing else (my engine isn't stock). I wish I could get ehanol free gas around here, but we're not given that choice.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
skipper20

Re: What gas additives do people routinely use

Post by skipper20 »

ucandoit wrote:I use to buy a gallon of the highest octane gas for my scooter until I found out (on this site) that it would take at least 4 gallons for the best stuff to clear the gas hose and reach my scooter, which only needs one gallon. So, the heck with that. Now, I fill up directly with the cheap stuff. But, I also add an ounce of Sea Foam to about every 3rd tank of gas during the riding season.

For those who ride regularly, not letting the scooter sit, I'm wondering if they have a routine of using additives: Stabil, Sea Foam, Lucas fuel treatment, etc. I know there is a lot of science about this, but I'm curious about what people Actually do.
Seafoam and Stabil but only when I'm storing a scooter for the winter months. And, I use premium gas at all fill-ups.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'14 170i Hooligan
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I use standard gas and don't add anything to it (unless it has been or will be sitting).
Scooter Commuter
KrispyKreme

Re: What gas additives do people routinely use

Post by KrispyKreme »

ucandoit wrote:I use to buy a gallon of the highest octane gas for my scooter until I found out (on this site) that it would take at least 4 gallons for the best stuff to clear the gas hose and reach my scooter
That is total complete BS. The check valve would allow nowhere near that much(4 gallons). In reality it's a nominal amount that gets mixed.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Startron or k100. Clogged jets usually remind me if I forget a tank or two.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Stitch wrote:Startron or k100. Clogged jets usually remind me if I forget a tank or two.
If you ride regularly, it should not be an issue, although ethanol degradation of hoses and such are said to be a factor.

I've used them all, and stabil does just fine. I fill a 5 gallon container with gas for the summer for the lawn equipment and treat it with seafoam. What I have left over at the end of the summer goes into my scoot. Never had a problem. I've lived a few summers and used all of those mentioned except K100.

I have also not treated gasoline properly and had it be a problem.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I've had zero luck with stabil. I've got a bottle you can have if you are ever in the area. Stopped using it after I had to pull the carb off a honda generator in the dark to clean the ethenol snot out of the middle jet.

I only have time to ride on the weekends, and I have enough scooters laying around that sometimes things don't get ridden for a month or two. A little startron in the tank everytime I get gas, and they fire right up at zero degrees or 100 degrees.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Lucas every fill up for my Biddy - one tablespoon.

Never had any gas related problems since we started using it.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Stitch wrote:I've had zero luck with stabil. I've got a bottle you can have if you are ever in the area. Stopped using it after I had to pull the carb off a honda generator in the dark to clean the ethenol snot out of the middle jet.
So a generator that probably sat for awhile, and needed to have its carb cleaned, is the fault of Stabil.

Don't look at me buddy, I use Seafoam. Seriously, it sounds like you are talking about a generator that sat a LONG time.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Ya, only ran it about an hour a month.
You do realize different areas run different blends of gas and have different climates right?

And I prefer marvel mystery oil over seafoam. I cut it with 9% type d automatic transmission fluid and 6.5% boron (the good mule train stuff).
Syd

Post by Syd »

Stitch wrote:Ya, only ran it about an hour a month.
You do realize different areas run different blends of gas and have different climates right?

And I prefer marvel mystery oil over seafoam. I cut it with 9% type d automatic transmission fluid and 6.5% boron (the good mule train stuff).
Does the 20 mule train bring it to you? :rofl:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Yup. Scares the bejeezus out of the dog everytime.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Add Borax to your gas and it'll probably shoot suds out the pipe! Gives a whole new meaning to 'detergent gasoline'.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Next time you need to pull a carb apart to clean it. Buy a bottle of K100 and drop the parts in some overnight. You will be sold for life. It is the ONLY stuff I have ever seen clean an idle jet on a scooter just letting it sit and run a while with the idle screw jacked up to keep it running.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

in the past I have used a ton of different stuff...Stabil Marine, Lucas Ethanol Treatment/Stabilizer, Seafoam, Berryman's B-12 Chemtool, Techron, different brands of injector,/carburetor cleaners, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc

I have cut back usage of so much different stuff and let the ethanol in the E-10 act as a cleaner when running through 2 or more gallons per week; I will add Startron if a machine is gonna sit 7-10 days or longer; I use K100 for a midseason cleaner & to 'spike' the gas after winter storage; I will start using K100 for winter storage this year and see if my bikes come back to life smoother vs using Startron...

occasionally use 89 octane and will use 91 octane or higher for winter storage since octane levels drop as gas ages; K100 claims to boost octane but the 'tried & true' method is to use higher octane gas so the older gas doesn't drop below minimum level of 87 octane...
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
jlnoko

Post by jlnoko »

viney266 wrote:Next time you need to pull a carb apart to clean it. Buy a bottle of K100 and drop the parts in some overnight. You will be sold for life. It is the ONLY stuff I have ever seen clean an idle jet on a scooter just letting it sit and run a while with the idle screw jacked up to keep it running.
I do the same thing with my shower head and now my hair is as cleanz as the driven snow in December, and ah am not an ahk-tress.