Headlight looks misshapen and other questions (Buddy 150)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dumbangel

Headlight looks misshapen and other questions (Buddy 150)

Post by dumbangel »

Hi there, bought a 150cc Buddy International scooter (Italia!). Overall I'm in love, but I do have some questions as I'm getting to know my new scoot.

http://imgur.com/a/lcHdl

First, my headlight looks misshapen. At night it appears as a wide, stretched out "W" and it doesn't extend in front of me as far as I'd like. I don't feel very safe going 40 - 50 mph at night because of it. I'm wondering if the bulb isn't positioned correctly, but I can't tell anything by visually inspecting it.

Also, the speedometer needle is dim and a bit hard to see at night. I suspect that the dash underneath light died on me, but I want to check whether this is a typical experience for Buddy scoots.

I used to have a 50cc Metropolitan with fuel injection, so I don't have experience with carb scooters. When I'm idling, sometimes it "hiccups" ever so slightly, and the electronics flickers on me. It's never died on me or anything, and it never happens when I'm moving, but I'd like to know if there's something going on.

Lastly, again this is my first carb scooter, but I'm wondering if the back wheel is supposed to be turning enough to move me forward while idling--like a car when you take your foot off the brake. I don't remember this happening on my Metropolitan, and it seems to happen pretty randomly.
Any input appreciated, thanks!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Both look fine to me. But photos are hard to tell vs real life.

I'd suggest switching to high beam if you want further throw. Just remember to switch back to low beam when oncoming traffic appears.

Perhaps corrective lenses (glasses) should be considered.

Try using Seafoam in your gas for a few tanks. I don't know how long your scooter sat before you bought it. I suspect there's some gumming in your carb or jets that Seafoam could help clear out.

And no, you should feel no forward movement from your transmission while at a stop - unless you're riding it before it warmed up properly. After you start the scooter, you're supposed to let it warm up on it's stand until the engine speed drops to proper idle.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

That headlight does look kinda dicey. Try to post a photo of the bulb inside the headlight housing (when it is not on) so I can see what type of bulb you are running?

The speedo looks about normal. The small instrument cluster lights don't have a lot of spread, so they don't light up the dash very evenly.

Seafoam in the gas tank at about 1-2oz per gallon is definitely a good idea. If that doesn't do the trick, you will most likely need to have your carb cleaned and adjusted back to factory spec.

If your clutch is engaging at idle, then the idle speed is too high.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
TCaruso

Post by TCaruso »

I was in a similar situation. Even with the deadlights connected, the stock amber bulbs and headlight were underwhelming. I was easily out running my lights.

But thanks to the help of a lot of members in this group, I swapped the amber deadlight bulbs for white LED. The improvement was instant. I then switched my headlight to a PIAA bulb many have suggested. The difference now is night and day. At WOT i can't out run my lights.

And you don't need to be a pit mechanic to do it. All you need is a #2 Philips head screwdriver.
dumbangel

Post by dumbangel »

thatvwbusguy wrote:That headlight does look kinda dicey. Try to post a photo of the bulb inside the headlight housing (when it is not on) so I can see what type of bulb you are running?

The speedo looks about normal. The small instrument cluster lights don't have a lot of spread, so they don't light up the dash very evenly.

Seafoam in the gas tank at about 1-2oz per gallon is definitely a good idea. If that doesn't do the trick, you will most likely need to have your carb cleaned and adjusted back to factory spec.

If your clutch is engaging at idle, then the idle speed is too high.
I never noticed that "nub" below the lamp. I wonder what is the purpose?

I just got myself a can of Seafoam so I'll give it a go!
Attachments
IMG_20150714_082320851_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150714_082320851_HDR.jpg (182.15 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

dumbangel wrote:I never noticed that "nub" below the lamp. I wonder what is the purpose?
I've always been currious about that "nub" as well. As far as I know, my headlight is original. (Previous owner did have to replace the 'bezel' due to a 'no speed drop') I don't think I've noticed anything 'not right' with my low beam, I'll observe closely this evening. But I have noticed however, my hi beam seems to leave a 'dark spot' right in the middle when on dark roads. I just assumed this was 'normal'.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I believe that the "nub" is a marker lamp. The marker lamp is not connected up in the USA, but activated in countries where it's not required for the headlight to be always on when scooter is operating.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Yes, the nub is most likely a marker light (sometimes known as a city light or parking light).

I will be installing one of the Philips HS1 bulbs into my wife's 170i in the next few days and will take a closer look while I am in there. Most marker lights are only 5W, so it won't add any appreciable light output even if it is hooked up to come on with the ignition.

The bulb in the photo looks like a standard H4. If it still works on both beams, the only reason that I can think of for it to have an odd output pattern would be if the retaining clip that holds the bulb in place came loose and the bulb has shifted out of position slightly.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff