Shad Top Case missing ...........

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ModernMike

Shad Top Case missing ...........

Post by ModernMike »

Rode to the grocery store this afternoon. Upon exit from the store I began to open my top case only to find the lock cylinder missing :shock:

Nothing in the case was missing. There was nothing in there anyone might want. It makes me wonder if this was attempted theft, or a mechanical defect. Has anyone ever experienced this? Or, heard of this issue?
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sorry you lost your lock. Was there any visible damage? That could tell you what happened; accidental failure or some asshat popping the cylinder.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

Syd wrote:Sorry you lost your lock. Was there any visible damage? That could tell you what happened; accidental failure or some asshat popping the cylinder.
Nope. No visible damage. But, then again, I found this on YouTube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCJ677blYzM

Do you think this could be done with a Shad case?
2012 BMW R1200RT
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I have used SHAD top cases since they became available in the US and have never had a lock pop out, or any other failures. Had one trunk pop off the mount at 50mph and roll past me, flipped a scooter onto one looping out a wheelie, slammed a garage door on one and other forms of abuse and all that happened where deep scratches and one loose hinge pin. Not saying it couldn't fail. If the trunk is kinda new and you can get someone on the phone SHAD "might" send you a new barrel for free or discounted. They have always been good to me when I needed mounting hardware, extra keys, etc. They have a parts section on their site, I just prefer to call.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

I received the replacement lock cylinder today, and attempted replacement. The cylinder itself is held in place by a small bolt machined onto the back of the cylinder and then a nylock nut with star washer. As a tightened the nylock nut the bolt broke off. Now it's fair to say I may have over tightened the nut, but I really feel I didn't. There was still open thread on the bolt. I believe the friction of the nylock nut was too much for the bolt.

I wonder if the original cylinder didn't fall out as a result of a broken bolt?

Regardless, I'm disappointed. I will be sending the cylinder back asking for a replacement. In the mean time I will not keep anything of value in the case.
2012 BMW R1200RT