What have I done?!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PupSF

What have I done?!

Post by PupSF »

Well after (years?) of secret envy for every scooter on the road, (been almost 9 years since I owned a vehicle of any kind) daydreams and lurking around these parts, and scouring Craigslist for a deal I wandered into the SF Scooter Center to "inquire about used models"...but wait you have a 2014 170i Brit that hasn't even been taken outside? Discounted and there's only one left? I learned not to set myself up for regret long ago and did what any (sensible?) unemployed 16 year-old stuck in a 31-year old's body and made it MINE. :-) :-) :-) 1 week old and 100miles down...this was the best terrible (AMAZING) decision I've ever made....And now I feel like I can actually post on this site lol. Being that I never do anything but go for the gusto...I am plotting a maiden voyage across the Bay Bridge (and ideally back hehe) any advice from those who have done it? I am thinking that very early morning might be the way to go due to very little traffic and the face that it's actually brighter artificially than most any time I've gone across in daylight. Any other things I should be focused on?

Oh and if anyone in SF or nearby is also a foodie or just a friendly adventurer I am dying to take Mr. Brit up to Yountville (Napa) on a sunny day for a picnic at Ad-lib/Addendum (Thomas Keller) and whatever else presents itself...Would be way more fun with a buddy (a breathing one that it)
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Welcome aboard. You have a great bike in a beautiful city. Have fun and ride safely.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Bah, enjoy it!

If you buy new, it's more expensive for a bit (insurance, etc). So your mission is to ride it for at least 50k miles, in which case you'll have not only saved a ton of $$ on gas, insurance, and parking, you'll also have a huge smile on your face.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Hi There.
I'm up in Fairfield on the same scoot' with 1,000 miles. Love this thing!
Please break your engine in all the way before crossing the Bay Bridge. To be safe you'll need to ride with the throttle nearly or fully wide open. This is not to be done with your scoot until it has at least 600 miles and an oil/filter change.
Enjoy!
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

Hi and welcome to the group,

Ditto GregsBuddy's comments above and be careful of those crosswinds on the bridge.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
tiii

Post by tiii »

Nice going! I was at SFSC and saw that brit model. The 50mph limit on the bridge is well within your 170i's abilities, however, you'll need minimum 60bmph (buddy speedo indicated mph) to be even with the flow of traffic.

That said, you really want your scooter run in and past it's break-in service.

Get in touch with me or any of the local scooter clubs as summer's coming and there are lots of opportunities to cross north or east in the coming months.

Keep your defensive skills sharp. SF is home to some of the worst drivers.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

You've given yourself a fun, economical, gas-saving means of getting around. :D :D :D :D :D

Welcome, have fun, and safe riding
Scooter Commuter
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

You've joined the cool kids! :P Welcome to scooter ownership.
thumper650

Post by thumper650 »

Hey PUP,

I've been motorcycling and scootering for years now, and just picked up a used Buddy 170i off craig's list. I was looking for something lighter than my full size touring bike, and I ended up with the smallest scooter with the biggest engine! This thing is smaller than my Kymco Agility 50, and a blast to ride. I'm not crazy about how it handles the pothole laden Boston streets, but it's so darn cute I just couldn't resist. I'd love to ride this thing long distance, I've only done long rides on much larger bikes.
One thing I like about the Buddy is it forces me to take backroads, which are far more interesting. I discovered some new roads on the Buddy just yesterday after clicking AVOID HIGHWAYS on my GPS.
Great to hear somebody on the other side of the country is having as much fun as I am.
I rented a Piaggio, vespa 250 something or other last time I was in SF, it was a great place to scoot! Have fun!
arnette

Me too!

Post by arnette »

Hey Pup!

I just bought my first buddy today, a Titanium 125!! Let me know if you want to go riding in SF sometime - I'm in the SoMA area.

I was fretting so long between a Vespa, a used Buddy, a special edition Buddy, etc. etc. So glad I just finally got one of my own.
Attachments
IMG_2076.jpg
IMG_2076.jpg (116.49 KiB) Viewed 2434 times
eliu01

Post by eliu01 »

Mine looks exactly like that! Picked it up from SFSC 6 weeks ago and just passed 400 miles. Wanted a Riot but the Glossy Titanium was the next best option.
arnette

Post by arnette »

eliu01 wrote:Mine looks exactly like that! Picked it up from SFSC 6 weeks ago and just passed 400 miles. Wanted a Riot but the Glossy Titanium was the next best option.
Haha my exact same dilemma. I had to insist on the lowered seat - I just wanted it because it looked cool.
Clydeo

Thumper650 scooting in Boston

Post by Clydeo »

I learned how to ride back in the Quincy/Dorchester/South Boston area on a Vespa 50 back in the late 70's. I once hit a pot hole so large I ended up flying over the handlebars! I was lucky that I didn't total the bike! But riding around the city was a real challenge. Boston area drivers are not exactly the most polite people on earth, and I quickly learned not to start into an intersection just because the light turned green! It was kind of like trying to drive through a video game where everyone was out to get me, which wasn't far from the truth! The experience made me a much better rider in the long run. I will never forget hitting the Fore River bridge for the first time, tho! If you haven't gone over it yet, you are in for a "treat", unless they have changed it. I haven't been home in a while! [for those who are not from Boston, the Fore River bridge is a long, open metal grate draw bridge. The top of the grates are serrated for traction. They also catch your wheels and make your bike wobble, but falling is not really a viable option! You have to keep a loose grip on the handlebars and just let the bike wobble, gently trying to keep it heading in the right direction. Lots of fun!]
tiii

Post by tiii »

I learned the "wait on a green" lesson the hard way... I grabbed a handful of brakes and slid on the xwalk paint. OUCH!

You SF buddy owners, I'm in the sunset but work in the mission. I'd definitely like to get a ride with yall sometime.
Last edited by tiii on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
arnette

Post by arnette »

tiii wrote: You SF buddy owners, I'm in the sunset but work in the mission. I'd definitely like to get a ride with yall sometime.

[/img]
Awesome. Looking forward to it
eliu01

Post by eliu01 »

I'm in the Sunset too! Work in China Basin, but ride through the Mission to get there. Saw a BlackJack on Portola/Market one morning. Anyone know who it belongs to?
thumper650

Re: Thumper650 scooting in Boston

Post by thumper650 »

Clydeo wrote:It was kind of like trying to drive through a video game where everyone was out to get me, which wasn't far from the truth! The experience made me a much better rider in the long run. I will never forget hitting the Fore River bridge for the first time, tho! If you haven't gone over it yet, you are in for a "treat", unless they have changed it. I haven't been home in a while! [for those who are not from Boston, the Fore River bridge is a long, open metal grate draw bridge. The top of the grates are serrated for traction. They also catch your wheels and make your bike wobble, but falling is not really a viable option! You have to keep a loose grip on the handlebars and just let the bike wobble, gently trying to keep it heading in the right direction. Lots of fun!]

Hey Clydeo,

Unfortunately Boston drivers have not changed much, they're probably worse since they're all texting and constantly reading their phones. The Fore River Bridge is being re-built, so it's metal panels and it's not bad on two wheels right now.
A few summers ago, I travelled over the Macinaw Bridge in Michigan. The right lane was closed, which is asphalt, so I had to ride several miles on that wobbly bridge grating at about 50MPH on my Honda Pacific Coast. The only saving grace was that the guy in the pickup behind me must have been a rider, or just considerate, because he stayed way back. I have him a wave after the bridge and I could breathe again.
tiii

Post by tiii »

eliu01 wrote:I'm in the Sunset too! Work in China Basin, but ride through the Mission to get there. Saw a BlackJack on Portola/Market one morning. Anyone know who it belongs to?
Parked or rolling?

If the latter, mightve been mine. I routinely use Portola/Market going to or from work in the mornings.
eliu01

Post by eliu01 »

tiii wrote:Parked or rolling?
Parked. It was on the eastbound side of Portola just past the Portola/Clipper intersection.
tiii

Post by tiii »

right after clipper... nope not mines

ever since I got a buddy, I've been seeing them more on the road...
haven't spotted this one.
PupSF

Post by PupSF »

Thanks everybody :-) I have been zooming all over the city and if nothing else my happiness level has kept and my uber bill has taken a much appreciated nose dive. I'm also thinking that I might be wise to take the other more photogenic bridge for a first journey, it's shorter, requires less time on the freeway and it ends up in somewhere much lovelier than West Oakland haha..I'm also wondering what I can do to make the bumps and potholes a little less, um teeth chattering? I try to avoid them but I'm more concerned about avoiding cars so it's often not possible.

**also that titanium is snazzy can't wait to see one in person
skully93

Post by skully93 »

There are suspension upgrades, but they only 'help'. Remember, you're riding on 10" wheels. Just learn to take the SLAM potholes with grace. Also, never ride with your tongue between your teeth ;)
tiii

Post by tiii »

the Gate is easier than the Bay Bridge, for sure.
as you gain experience those poitholes will bother you less and less.
Last edited by tiii on Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Was in SF yesterday to see "Book of Mormon" at the Orpheum (great fun).
Saw three Buddys in the few moments of driving and walking around.
Ride AROUND the pot holes! It's much easier than on four wheels.
Don't forget to practice "filtering" at lights and take advantage of your size to stay safe and moving.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Great choice. Enjoy the new fun, stay safe and have a blast. I have been riding 41 years and LOVE it.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
tiii

Post by tiii »

viney266 wrote:Great choice. Enjoy the new fun, stay safe and have a blast. I have been riding 41 years and LOVE it.
Hey... 2014 was my 41st year (33rd year in the US) of riding motorcycles.
Good for you, Viney.

SFSG are riding north Sunday morning (in case any of you all wanna join OR just wanna x the GG with a group). The ride itself motors up to Healdsburg then makes for the coast and winds back along Hy1. It's 200 miles of nice curvy roads (so be fueled up and ready unless you just wanna tag along for the first leg / SF to Mill Valley).

Kickstands Up at 0900 from the Geary x Arguello Chevron station.