[NBD] New Stablemate... full size!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tspinning

[NBD] New Stablemate... full size!

Post by tspinning »

Well I knew this day was coming after the MSF course last year and how much I loved shifting and the potential range a larger engine afforded me.
It has been a great 3500 miles, or year and a half on the Buddy. It's also been great learning from and interacting with this community. I'm holding onto the scoot still for a while, but might sell her when Spring fever hits the area.

So, without further ado, I present Buddy Fluff's new stablemate: Desmo!

She is a very lovely 2012 Monster 696 and I am smitten.

Keep em' spinning!
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Keep the Buddy around to ride when she's in the shoppe :wink:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Vroom! Vroom! That's a beautiful bike.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

avescoots1134 wrote:Keep the Buddy around to ride when she's in the shoppe :wink:
Or when you need a while to save up for the valve adjustment!

I have both too. I got a nail in my tire yesterday on the motorcycle, and even though the Buddy isn't ideal for long distances, it was just fine for the 40 miles I needed it to be.

I also find the MC to be cumbersome to go to the grocery store :P
tspinning

Post by tspinning »

Going to try and hang onto her, although her value would make a significant dent in the loan repayment or cover the cost a Termignoni exhaust, ECU, and intake...

Also figures, it was super windy the day I brought the new ride home. Later that evening I think the Buddy got a little jealous because she dropped to her side and destroyed her mirror and windshield on the cement garage wall next-door. Of course I was just at the shop a week or so ago and finally replaced the OTHER mirror with a used one (which is kind of loose where the ball/mirror connection is and constantly needs readjusting) as I foolishly thought "why pay full price for two new mirrors when I only need one..."

Ooof... Probably won't bother paying to replace the windshield at this point but I need at least 1 good mirror (I think).
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

We have another Ducati rider on the site. I'm surprised that he hasn't chimed in.
I've heard that the desmodromic valves are easier to adjust than the shim and bucket adjusters,( like the Ninjas). You do have to adjust the lash at both open and closed positions, though.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Purty.

If only my legs were just a few inches longer. I've been tempted to see if I could tiptoe one... but I have a friend my height for whom that didn't go so well for... :roll: Oops.
Scooter Commuter
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

tspinning wrote:Going to try and hang onto her, although her value would make a significant dent in the loan repayment or cover the cost a Termignoni exhaust, ECU, and intake...

Also figures, it was super windy the day I brought the new ride home. Later that evening I think the Buddy got a little jealous because she dropped to her side and destroyed her mirror and windshield on the cement garage wall next-door. Of course I was just at the shop a week or so ago and finally replaced the OTHER mirror with a used one (which is kind of loose where the ball/mirror connection is and constantly needs readjusting) as I foolishly thought "why pay full price for two new mirrors when I only need one..."

Ooof... Probably won't bother paying to replace the windshield at this point but I need at least 1 good mirror (I think).
Get the shop to order you a set of Roughhouse mirrors. They are the price of a set of used buddy mirrors and won't break off!
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

I would hang onto the Buddy. I had a Vespa 300 in 2012. Traded it in on a BMW R1200RT. I love the RT, but regret trading the Vespa. Two totally different modes of transportation. Last fall I spent more $$ to replace the Vespa. Added two Buddy 170's. I love the scoot in town. Manual transmission gets old, and trying to throw around 600 lbs of motorcycle in stop and go traffic gets old quick. Plus my GF likes the smaller ride and twist and go Buddy :D
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

EXCELLENT CHOICE!!!

I love my Dark Monster. I have a chopped rear end, Corbin seat, tuned Arrow exhaust and a few other things.

Enjoy!!!
KrispyKreme

ScooterDave.

Post by KrispyKreme »

That monster is a great bike. When I brought it in for a check-up, it was 1200. I sold it and bought a Honda.