Help my Oil drain bolt is stripped!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Crazy88s

Help my Oil drain bolt is stripped!

Post by Crazy88s »

So I've been trying to get my oil changed and realized that someone (not me) had rounded out the oil drain bolt it's uber tight it almost look like the person that did it last had used a impact drill, I don't want to screw or up so I will take it to the shop tomorrow. Is this something that's going to be a big problem or is it something that the dealer shop will be able to fix pretty easy, I am really annoyed that who ever changed it lasts I stripped the bolt.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I would try to get a good grip with lockjaw pliers to see if it can be knocked loose with a few taps from a hammer.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I bet the shop can get it off of there and replace it. Hopefully they have one, they run pretty cheap.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Tazio wrote:I would try to get a good grip with lockjaw pliers to see if it can be knocked loose with a few taps from a hammer.

I wouldn't be slapping vise grips or channel locks on it. I would use an impact driver (NOT an impact wrench).

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

It will remove more easily if the engine's hot.
I like the impact approach. Short,sharp,shock does it!
mikebuddy

rounded oil drain plug

Post by mikebuddy »

vise grips will probably work best, a impact driver is for screws not bolts. Did you get the problem solved :cry:
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Correction:
An electric or pneumatic impact wrench will work very well, if the head of the drain bolt isn't destroyed. If destroyed, Vicegrips are your friend.
Hopefully, you won't need to Helicoil the drain threads.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

He said the drain bolt was rounded out and he probabably didn't have the right tool which is why I suggested 2 wrong tools improperly used might get the job done. :D
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Two wrong (tools) could make a right!
Snap

Post by Snap »

GregsBuddy wrote:Two wrong (tools) could make a right!
Oftentimes one tool is holding another.

Back to the topic, I bet you can get a file, dremel or grinder on the bolt head to make an appropriate grip for a proper tool.

Once you get it fixed, always use a box or socket wrench that grips all faces of the nut. It's not a bad idea to use appropriate anti-seize compound on the treads if it's going to be an appreciable amount of time before the next service. The spark plugs in our Subaru used to be a bear to get out because the factory apparently didn't use anything. It took so much effort that I thought the threads might strip.