Hill Climb with a Buddy 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Hill Climb with a Buddy 170i

Post by skipper20 »

I'm currently in Tucson, AZ for the winter and have my '12 170i Buddy Italia scooter with me. Yesterday 3 friends and I drove a car to the Mt. Lemmon ski area just north of Tucson which is at 9,000 ft. altitude and 25 miles from the desert floor. It's a nicely paved 2 lane road with a lot of curves and switchbacks but plenty of turnouts to admire the views. Max speed limit 45 mph but down to 25 on some of the curves. I would estimate the overall grade to be about 6% but steeper in a few spots maybe 10% max. I would like to return and do this on my scooter but I'm concerned about possible engine fatigue from making the long uphill climb. The scoot has just under 900 miles and I went by the book when breaking it in. If any of you have had experience doing a similar hill climb I would appreciate hearing from you. TIA,

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
Syd

Post by Syd »

You should get in touch with the Sky Island Scotter Club. I know for a fact that several Buddy's have been to the top of Mt Lemmon. I think Howardr even went up a back road (read:dirt) once.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

No problem for your Buddy. I've ridden up with a guy on a stock Ruckus. Been up and down on my P200, my Riva 180 and my Elite 80. Only bikes I wouldn't take are any of my single-speed mopeds or my non-variated Spree.

My biggest concerns are making sure I fuel at the bottom of Catalina Highway before heading up (it's a thirsty climb) and managing my speed on the way back down (don't want to cook the brakes).

Been meaning to take my Yager up sometime. Been all over the area on it except up Catalina Highway.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Many of us Tucson scooter riders have ridden Mt Lemmon. I have done it several times on my Buddy 150, as well as a couple of times on my Stella. If you are on Facebook, come over and check out the Sky Island Riders Scooter Club. We will take you places you never thought possible on your scooter.

Where, in Tucson, are you. I'd be glad to meet you for coffee sometime.

Howard

send me an email at howard.rains@gmail.com
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
skully93

Post by skully93 »

9k ft? wusses!

I took a buddy 150 from 5k to 14k feet. It was a bit slow going up in a couple of spots :P.

the 170i, having fuel injection, should do just fine. I weight in at @ 190 so I bet it would do just fine.