YSS Adjustable Gas Shock

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

keltick

YSS Adjustable Gas Shock

Post by keltick »

I've been looking at upgrading the ride on my 170. The YSS Adjustable Gas Shock looks promising for the backend. Does anyone have any experience with this shock? Worth it?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I can't speak for total experience, but....

The NCY shock has treated me very well. the forks are also fantastic, if you have deep pockets.

2 local riders with the YSS have offered up reviews ranging from 'meh' to "I don't see that much of a difference".

YMMV.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I don't have the gas shock (too much $$$ for my wallet) but I have the upgraded adjustable shock. It's definitely an improvement over stock.
I rode a BlackJack with the adjustable rear shock and the upgraded front shocks. The front shocks are an even bigger improvement in the ride and handling over the rear shock, but again, that upgrade is pricey.

My commute is about 45 miles/day and after 40K miles, I ended up making a different upgrade. I bought a motorcycle for my commute but kept the Buddy. I know that sounds contradictory when I say the gas shock was too much money. But it was time for a bigger bike for commuting.
I ride the Buddy for errands and will commute on it if rain is expected because it's so much easier to clean than the MC.

Sorry, that went waaayyy off topic. Too much caffeine today.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Well Tocsik and I will have to go ripping through canyons next season! :P.

the forks rock. The NCY brakes are also nice.

For the full price of upgrades, you can buy a very nice used motorcycle though. Ugh.

I love my Buddy though!
CountChocula

Post by CountChocula »

Not sure which shock it is exactly that you're looking at, but I have a YSS with an external damper on one of my Aprilia SR50's and another same year SR50 with stock shock and it's pretty night and day on THAT scooter.

It's similar to this one: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=yss ... tedIndex=0

Very happy with it. Better ride but firmer and much less bottoming out over potholes.

I think the YSS does better as far as ride and travel/compression over even the "upgraded" NCY that comes stock on the '12 Psycho 125 for what it's worth.[/url]
keltick

Post by keltick »

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking at these.

http://www.scooterworks.com/yss-adjusta ... Hn8GyPnbqA