Buddy 125 Leaking Gear oil on the rear wheel

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

low430

Buddy 125 Leaking Gear oil on the rear wheel

Post by low430 »

So I rode on the freeway for about 5 min, at one point to an indicated 75 mph on a down sloped section. Realistically I was going like 65 but when I got home I noticed the rear wheel had gear oil on it.

See attached image.

I drained the gear oil the next day and refilled with 90cc of 85-140
fresh oil. Rode for 20 min and it looked good, so I rode another hour and now it looks a little oily again, not as bad as the first time.

Im afraid it looks like Im going to be replacing some seals.

Anyone have any experience or insight dealing with this problem?
Im not too worried about fixing it, Im just a little bummed because Ive only had the scooter a month and She only has 3500 miles on her,
Shes a 2007 Buddy 125.
:cry:

Ive searched and all that ive found is posts about overfilling, I measured my gear oil before refilling.

I guess gear oil could have been overfilled and I could have exceeded the designed speed and somehow blew out a seal

anything helps,
Thanks guys
Attachments
Buddy
Buddy
IMG_0899.JPG (152.19 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
Leaky gear oil
Leaky gear oil
IMG_1166.JPG (141.25 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Aw man, sorry to hear that. Hopefully, someone will post that fixing it is easy and/or cheap to get done!

In the meantime, enjoy this li'l joke to lighten your spirits:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OI1UghAtr98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
sabcrazy13

Post by sabcrazy13 »

Similar issue happened on our Buddy 125 year 2008, we got it with about 4500 miles and when it was about 6k miles we realized gear oil had been leaking.

I believe it was slightly overfilled with gear oil and maybe one of the seals was blown.

easy fix. enjoy the newish scoot
Many of my Friends call me Mr. Fun.
Max fun at all times!!!

For Los Angeles Area Scooter group rides and events check out the Meetup:

http://www.meetup.com/LAScooterGroup/
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Overfilled the gear oil, eh? Bummer. I wonder what could happen if it's under filled.

Which begs the query....How does one measure the gear oil level? By sight, I presume.

I recently did my first oil change and was careful not to overfill, so I put in a little under 90cc, but I suppose it's possible I under filled it.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

BoulderBud wrote:Overfilled the gear oil, eh? Bummer. I wonder what could happen if it's under filled.

Which begs the query....How does one measure the gear oil level? By sight, I presume.

I recently did my first oil change and was careful not to overfill, so I put in a little under 90cc, but I suppose it's possible I under filled it.
I measure what I drain then fill with that amount. It's always 100cc for me, with no problems.
low430

Post by low430 »

BoulderBud wrote:Overfilled the gear oil, eh? Bummer. I wonder what could happen if it's under filled.

I dont think it was overfilled because I drained and refilled it to 90ml and it still leaks
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I just had my shop replace the seal I think he charged my around $100-120
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Syd

Post by Syd »

Can't help with the leak, but for measuring the amount for the refill I use a 60cc syringe I found for a couple buck at a home healthcare supply store. The scoot I had used 100ccs every refill so two squirts of the syringe did it. Quick and clean.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

low430 wrote:

I dont think it was overfilled because I drained and refilled it to 90ml and it still leaks
It sounds like you need to replace the output shaft seal. Parts cost about $6 to do this. You need the gearbox case gasket and the seal itself. It takes about an hour to do.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Syd wrote:Can't help with the leak, but for measuring the amount for the refill I use a 60cc syringe I found for a couple buck at a home healthcare supply store. The scoot I had used 100ccs every refill so two squirts of the syringe did it. Quick and clean.

100ccs every time. Put it in the wiki.
low430

Post by low430 »

lovemysan wrote:
low430 wrote:

It sounds like you need to replace the output shaft seal. Parts cost about $6 to do this. You need the gearbox case gasket and the seal itself. It takes about an hour to do.

Thank you so much!
Driller

Me too...

Post by Driller »

Guess I am in the club. Same thing going on. Will drain the oil to see how much may have been lost.
Bummed my ride with worrying about oil on the tire and dodging a trail of ditself a truck spewed on the road. :evil:
Now, the search for a "how to" replace the seal. Sounds like it will be a lot easier than replacing a blown rear main seal on an old airhead I had a few years ago.
Found it! Parts to be ordered tomorrow..
This forum is great!
"My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder."
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I've had this issue on a Honda when I overfilled the gearbox.
It slow leaked for a while, until I opened the level hole and let it drain down to its natural level. No more issues.
Are you sure the seal broke and didn't just leak? "Blowing" a seal is simply pushing it out of its socket if pressed in from the outside. They can rapidly wear if there's too much gearbox internal pressure creating too much seal pressure against the shaft, wearing the seal out.
KrispyKreme

Re: Me too...

Post by KrispyKreme »

Driller wrote:Guess I am in the club. Same thing going on. Will drain the oil to see how much may have been lost.
Bummed my ride with worrying about oil on the tire and dodging a trail of ditself a truck spewed on the road. :evil:
Now, the search for a "how to" replace the seal. Sounds like it will be a lot easier than replacing a blown rear main seal on an old airhead I had a few years ago.
Found it! Parts to be ordered tomorrow..
This forum is great!
If you overfill and is leaks out, you may not have blown a seal. I overfilled on a chinascoot and the problem went away. My point being if you overfill and it gets on your tire, you don't necessarily have a blown seal.
Driller

Post by Driller »

Will measure what comes out tomorrow. What was and is in there is what came with the bike so no way to know if overfill ìs the root cause of the leak.
Driller

Dodged a bullet...

Post by Driller »

Well. I drained the gearbox and measured nearly 90ml of oil. I estimate nearly 20ml was lost while riding. The bike did not leak any more after parking it last night.
After refilling the box with the correct amount of oil and a ride there was NO LEAK!
Hopefully, the leak was due to an overfill and not a failed seal. :D
Guess time will tell.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Good luck.