Ever had this happen?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slotrod65

Ever had this happen?

Post by slotrod65 »

So it was a simply gorgeous day today, and I took the Stella out for a ride at lunch time. My helmet is a semi open face:

So anyway... I am riding along and a bug flies right up. Now, I am used to bugs hitting the helmet or windscreen, and with the bottom half of my face exposed, I am even used to taking a few bug suicides to the face.

This bug was different... you know how you see a bug for like 2 seconds before it hits you? Well, this one zoomed in, and I swear I could see it was a housefly. Anyway... It zoomed right in, no time to avoid it... and went RIGHT UP MY NOSE!! The right nostril. I was stunned. But then it got worse: Here I am, zooming along at 45 mph, and I CAN FEEL it's LEGS trying to CRAWL!! AAAAGGGHHH... Somehow I managed to blow my nose, and it popped out like a cork. I am still doing 45mph, I am feeling wicked creeped out, and my nose is drooling everywhere. I had traffic in front, behind, and coming the other way, so I had to keep driving another mile before I could pull over...

So, how was your day?
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Umm, ewww. I hate flies but I dig ur helmet...
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I had a bug land on the inside of my primary helmet shield. I have Vemar Cqkui . It was a warm day so I took off the chin guard. The bug really freaked me out
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
TVB

Re: Ever had this happen?

Post by TVB »

slotrod65 wrote:So, how was your day?
Beautiful weather, the best it's been in 6 months... and my scooter's in the shop. So I actually kinda almost envy you.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Not up my nose but I have had a bee inside a FF helmet!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

2 memorable instances:
Left work early headed to the dentist and enroute this big ol mamma jamma moth lookin bug slams into the lowest most forward part of my 3/4 helmet and exploded with yellow gutty goo splattering all over my neck and collar. I ended up using the dentist's rest room to clean up but I still had a massive stain of what use to be a bug on my collar. That shirt has never quite recovered.

Another instance I was cruisin along and a wasp flew right into my chest and proceeded to crawl down into the portion that was zipped. I was able to pull over where I was and quickly unzipped my jacket and the lil bastage flies right out.
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
viney266

Post by viney266 »

in 39 years of riding the king was still killing the robin with my faceshield at 70 MPH. I was running down a backroad on an RZ350 and just like your nose fly; I saw this guy coming, we both dodged left...we both dodge right. And then someone tee'd off on my full face shoei ( thank goodness ) with a baseball bat. It almost took me off the bike!. I stopped to turn around to see how Mr. Bird had done, and my friend ( who had been behind me and seen the whole thing) told me not to bother. I will never forget that one.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I 'caught' a bat late one nite.
viewtopic.php?t=18723&highlight=bat
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
easy

Post by easy »

I just switched to a Biltwell Gringo and weather permitting only wear sunglasses (with the foam) so my day is coming.
what did you trade the day for?
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

I just got the Gringo too...but after reading the bat story I think I'm going to invest in another face shield.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

In the minds of many people, this story is actually the most convincing argument for a full face helmet. :lol:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

pugbuddy wrote:In the minds of many people, this story is actually the most convincing argument for a full face helmet. :lol:
I use a full face helmet and twice I've had a bee inside. No stings though, lucky me. Once I had a bee up my jacket sleeve, that one stung me six times before I could pull over. Unfortunately, the bee did NOT survive. I must have looked like a deranged stripper trying to get that jacket off. A couple actually pulled over to see if I was okay.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

pugbuddy wrote:In the minds of many people, this story is actually the most convincing argument for a full face helmet. :lol:
I see it as the price of beauty for wearing a helmet like that.