Runs funny, oil change issue?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BoulderBud

Runs funny, oil change issue?

Post by BoulderBud »

Yesterday I test drove my scooter a couple miles just after my first gear and oil changes and everything seemed fine.

However, today I had some accelerating issues. For the first couple miles it seemed like it was skipping ignition, I think. I would accelerate a bit too quickly and it would stop firing for a second. Then, after a couple more miles, it didn't want to accelerate much above about 20mph. I pulled over and opened the dip stick, and a little bit of oil came out, only about 1/2 ounce.

The oil reads above the full level now, so could this be the sole issue? Yesterday the oil level seemed to read just right, but today it's reading high, above the full line. Also, I may have put too little gear oil in(85mil) because I didn't want to overfill it. It appears to be at the right level, but it's hard to tell. It could be high or low.

I used 15W-40 Dino, and for gear oil some Valvoline 85-140. Primo filter from Amazon.

Any suggestions beyond getting a little oil out of there? Maybe the oil's not running thru the filter properly?
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

You definitely over filled. Always make sure after an oil change to run the bike for a minute to distribute the oil, then recheck and add if necessary. I'm betting the lack of firing is due to oil getting past your piston and gunking up your spark plug. Remove your spark plug, clean or replace it with some brake/carb cleaner, remove the excess oil and everything should sort it's self out, hopefully before any real damage is done such as blowing a gasket. Just to make sure, remove your seat bucket and look on the top and bottom of the engine to see if any oil has found other ways out other than through the crankcase.

Question, when you changed the oil, did you change the filter too? If not, filling up with the recommended amount could have put you over.
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Thank you. I'm comforted that there appears to be zero oil leakage from the engine. Looked underneath and took the seat out for a top view.

I can put in a new spark plug and take some oil out thru the fill-up hole. Sounds easy enough. Then, should I just start it up and let it idle for a while, then take it for a test ride?

What would a dealer do if I took it to them? Open up the cylinder? Clean it out?

Thank you again for your help,

Tim
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I doubt a dealer would remove the head for this. Once the oil squeezed past your piston and valves, there's a vent on the valve cover that allows the blow by to be recycled into the air intake system, so whatever oil you did loose probably just got burnt off, you probably want to check out your air filter too and see if it got gunked up. I think a new spark plug (possibly new/or clean your air filter) and correct oil amount should be all it needs. Running some sea foam with your gas couldn't hurt to help remove any deposits left behind front he burnt oil. Remember to run it for a minute then recheck your level and remove more if necessary. Anywhere between 1/2 way and the top of the dipstick is fine, and keep checking it regularly for the next few weeks.
My Buddy125

Post by My Buddy125 »

I think I read on this site if you over fill the oil it can blow up into the air filter and choke your engine. Check to see if your air filter is ok and drain the extra oil.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Also check the oil level with the dipstick SCREWED ALL THE WAY IN.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Thank you!!!!
Last edited by BoulderBud on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Replaced the plug. It was really black, and only 350 miles on it.

The air filter looks almost new and no signs of any oil backing up into it. So, I thought I'd leave it in since the connection to pull it completely out is a little tricky.
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Well, took some oil out, then measured, put some back in, rode it around, etc. etc. Seems to read a little different level each time I check it, but it's settled at the 3/4 mark, AND IT RUNS GREAT!

Now, I will add some Seafoam to the gas tank, and keep rechecking the oil level very often.

Thank you all for getting me thru this nervous situation. Especially my new friend from Mobile, Alabama!