How dumb is this? Fuel gauge.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BoulderBud

How dumb is this? Fuel gauge.

Post by BoulderBud »

Is it a dumb idea to snip off the little peg inside the instrument panel so my fuel gauge needle will go below the E? I would love to know when I'm truly getting low on gas.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I get the logic, but it's probably not going to fix the problem. It's not a linear calibration error in the gauge. The problem is usually with the floater in the tank and its ability to measure the volume.

Have a look here: topic25377.html

And here: topic14355.html

How bad is the problem you're having? It could be a stuck float.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

I've already read these threads and a couple of others on the topic. If I were to go thru the process of fixing the float, I give myself a good chance of causing an unintended consequence that I would regret.

I've only filled the tank 4 times. My 125 has 350 miles on it. My best guess is that I have 1/4-1/3 of a tank left when the needle hits the empty peg. I thought I could make a mark or two below the snipped peg and thus know when I'm truly getting close to empty.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

At least with the Buddy you can take the cap off and SEE how much fuel you have left. Not the case with a lot of scooters.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

You just have to learn how your gauge works, I know I can go 10 miles plus after I hit the peg. I have gone 20+ miles but most of that was done with me being really easy on the throttle and only going 40-45 mph. I know that I can get 100 miles on a tank, though I will usually fill up at 80-90 miles.

Also, I recommend getting a small fuel bottle like these-
http://www.amazon.com/MSR-22-Ounce-Fuel ... el+bottles
skipper20

Re: How dumb is this? Fuel gauge.

Post by skipper20 »

BoulderBud wrote:Is it a dumb idea to snip off the little peg inside the instrument panel so my fuel gauge needle will go below the E? I would love to know when I'm truly getting low on gas.
Yes, it's a dumb idea as it's really unneccessary. Just figure 100 miles on a full tank.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Arizona (til 4/3)
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

plus isn't the gauges in metrics?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

skipper20 wrote:Yes, it's a dumb idea as it's really unneccessary. Just figure 100 miles on a full tank.
Not everyone memorizes what their mileage was the last time they filled up.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

VinylDoctor wrote:plus isn't the gauges in metrics?
Full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and Empty don't care what units are being used
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

TVB wrote:
skipper20 wrote:Yes, it's a dumb idea as it's really unneccessary. Just figure 100 miles on a full tank.
I write down my mileage on the gas receipt when I fill up and put it under the seat just in case I need to figure out how far till I run out of gas. But mainly I just fill up when I get around E.
Last edited by scootERIK on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

How about this. Next time it moves to E and you can just ride with no where else to go, i.e. work, just ride until it runs out of fuel. You will have in your possession when this happens, a spare fuel carrier, the mileage you wrote down before the ride occurs, the mileage when the fuel ran out and the knowledge that when it hits E you will have X amount of miles before a gas station is needed. Just remember to ride like you normally do. Scooters aren't rocket science but they occasionally need hands on research.

"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Thank you all! Replies came in 10-0 that I shouldn't be messing around inside the instrument panel.

So, I will take agrogod's advice and measure the miles I get from when the needle bottoms out, and when I run out of gas.
toot

Post by toot »

I don't understand. Why don't you just fill when shows empty. Why does it matter how much is left. I always fill 1/4 or lower I don't want to get stuck. :?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

TVB wrote:
In my old VW, the gas gauge was mostly nonfunctional. I kept a grease pencil and just wrote the last fillup mileage on the (metal) dash. One could do the same thing on the Buddy's speedo.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
TVB

Post by TVB »

toot wrote:I don't understand. Why don't you just fill when shows empty. Why does it matter how much is left. I always fill 1/4 or lower I don't want to get stuck. :?
A good policy. But sometimes you don't notice you're low, until you see the needle on "E" and need to make a judgment, such as:
a) If I stop for gas, I'll be late, but if don't stop and I run out, I'll be really late.
b) There's a gas station 2 miles behind me, and another 6 miles ahead of me. Can I keep going forward, or do I have to turn back and add 4 miles to the trip?
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

I didn't even know there was still gas in the tank after the needle hits the peg. I always fill up a little before the needle goes in the red, because I've heard red means the scooter needs gas immediately.

Also, there aren't as many Shell and Exxon stations where I am and that is the only gas I will use.
vintage red matthew

Post by vintage red matthew »

I was disconcerted when I found that the speedometer and fuel gauges on my new Buddy were even less accurate than Vespa gauges. And there is no trip odometer. I use the grease pencil method on my vintage Vespas and now the Buddy. I am going to carry extra fuel and run it empty. I was wondering if a bicycle speedometer would work. If it can be adjusted for a wheel that small it would give you an accurate speedometer and resettable trip odometer.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Someone missed the joke...

Some these post about this is inaccurate and that is weak are puzzling. It's a scooter! Really, people it's a scooter! It wasn't that long ago that it was a surprise if the gauges worked at all.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

JettaKnight wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:
Someone missed the joke...

Some these post about this is inaccurate and that is weak are puzzling. It's a scooter! Really, people it's a scooter! It wasn't that long ago that it was a surprise if the gauges worked at all.

In all honesty I've answered more...let's say "uninformed" questions that that one! Well you hooked and reeled me in! Well done! And I agree...it's a scooter. As the old joke goes if the speedo is broken it's a real Vespa! :mrgreen:

www.teamscootertrash.com