Trunk plate

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stormswift

Trunk plate

Post by Stormswift »

I am still wrestling with trying to replace the metal plate on which the trunk sits (original trunk For Buddy Itallia 150 , 2009). While I found piece of plastic to secure to the rear rack I am not sure how it will work securing the trunk to the plastic. The metal plate has holes specifically for that purpose. I am not sure what to do with my setup. Any ideas?
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
climbamt

Post by climbamt »

Hi,

Do you have some pictures? It may spur some ideas.

~climbamt
05 Vespa GT200
03 Genuine Stella 2T
05 Kymco People 150
03 Kymco People 50
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

When I mounted my top case, a trip to the hardware store for some unconventional mounting supplies, which included 1/2 in. electrical hangers and heavy duty zip ties, got the job done. Its still rock solid, but the rack, as others have found out, is starting to show weather wear.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Can you use the old mounting plate as a 'template' to create your new plastic one. A trip to the hardware store where someone might actually assist you in finding new hardware similar to what you removed.
You've got to have someone in your local scooter group that may be willing to lend you a hand as well....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Syd

Post by Syd »

The topbox I had on my SYM was attached with no more then bolts and longish pieces of flat, 1" wide metal. The metal strips bridged at least two parts of the rear rack on the bottom and had holes drilled into it. Bolts ran from the inside of the topbox through the rack into through metal strips, where nylon lock nuts secured everything. Maybe you don't need a mounting plate?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

This is what I am thinking: a plasti cutting board, driiled holes. That would secure the new bord to the rack. Problem is going to be securing the box to the rack. Maybe longer bolts or something....
Attachments
1394506791970.jpg
1394506791970.jpg (52.31 KiB) Viewed 916 times
I am not a scooter snob.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Neat, not only can you secure your top case when you get it figured out, you can also prepare dinner too. :P
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I think you're on the 'right track'
Take a look at how I mounted my basket on my rack a few years ago if that'll help. viewtopic.php?t=21125&highlight=basket

If I lived closer to you, I'd be more than willing to help...
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Thanks KB. Your setup looks cool. I had some help from a friend today. He used the old plate as template and cut the cutting board and drilled the holes. I was able to put the trunk back on. Now if only mother nature would stop with the snow every week
I am not a scooter snob.
Syd

Post by Syd »

KABarash wrote:I think you're on the 'right track'
Take a look at how I mounted my basket on my rack a few years ago if that'll help. viewtopic.php?t=21125&highlight=basket

If I lived closer to you, I'd be more than willing to help...
That is the way my topbox was connected, except the topbox doesn't require the plates on the top like the basket does.
The majority is always sane - Nessus