Cable alarm locks

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BoulderBud

Cable alarm locks

Post by BoulderBud »

Does anyone have experience with these types of cable alarm locks? Seems like it would be an effective security option. It has no vibration or motion sensor, just an alarm if the cable is cut, so I don't think there would be any false alarms. For some reason I fear someone lifting my scooter into a pickup truck in about 10 seconds if it's not locked up, or maybe 30 seconds if they have to snip a cable first.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 702 times
TVB

Post by TVB »

The most important thing about using a cable (or chain) lock is to make sure you secure it properly to the bike. Things like the rear grab bar or kickstand can be removed or cut, and wrapping the cable tightly around a part of the bike isn't always tight enough. The best spot I've found to loop it through is the section of the frame pipe that runs under the floor of the Buddy, between the center stand and the side stand.

Also, keep in mind that an alarm that you won't be close enough to hear and respond to is almost worthless. OK, it might scare the thief, but the only thing your neighbors or bystanders will do is quietly curse you for setting the alarm to go off.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I loop the cable through the back wheel. You can't remove a Buddy back wheel without removing the exhaust first. My buddy doesn't have a disc on the rear.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

What do y'all do when you want more security? Parking next to windows seems like a good idea.

I rarely see a scooter locked up to a pole. Most of the time I do this too, but would like more security when the situation looks sketchy.

Presumably this alarm would never go off since I would always use the key to open it rather than bolt cutters. If it did go off, then that's a good thing, someone's trying to rip it.

I suppose a regular cable lock would be fine most of the time. But if there are thieves looking for opportunities, the red decal that indicates the lock is alarmed would provide some added discouragement, I would think.

Btw, it's insured, but I'd still be out over a grand all said and done. And a lot of heartache even though it's just a machine:)

So, what do y'all do? Am I being too paranoid?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Poles and trees can be cut.

I lock mine through the front wheel, but it can be easily removed if they wanted to. Unfortunately with an International the chain will not fit through the spokes on the rim.

Around town during the day I don't give it too much thought. I do have a disc lock for stints, but I usually try to park someplace I can see it, and lock the steering.

If you're on the mall in Boulder during the day, I wouldn't fret much. There's a trillion bikes with no security at all, and they seem fine. At night I'm sure there's a few idiots here and there.

A cover usually helps too, just because they have to take the time to see what's under there.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

BoulderBud wrote:What do y'all do when you want more security? Parking next to windows seems like a good idea.

I rarely see a scooter locked up to a pole. Most of the time I do this too, but would like more security when the situation looks sketchy.

Presumably this alarm would never go off since I would always use the key to open it rather than bolt cutters. If it did go off, then that's a good thing, someone's trying to rip it.

I suppose a regular cable lock would be fine most of the time. But if there are thieves looking for opportunities, the red decal that indicates the lock is alarmed would provide some added discouragement, I would think.

Btw, it's insured, but I'd still be out over a grand all said and done. And a lot of heartache even though it's just a machine:)

So, what do y'all do? Am I being too paranoid?
I pull mine up onto the sidewalk and cable lock it to the nearest "No Parking" sign.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Arizona
'12 170i Italia
BoulderBud

Post by BoulderBud »

Thanks guys. I'm rethinking the alarm idea. Might just keep a strong cable or chain under the seat for occasional use.
ender07

Post by ender07 »

If you tight on cash but still want a beefy chain try harbor freight...I know it's not the best quality but people trying to steal a scooter with this lock as opposed to an easier looking one...they usually choose the path of least resistance.

http://t.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-p ... 20provided
Roughhouse 50 - custom green paint job, Prima exhaust pipe, 5G rollers, 1000 RPM contra spring, 2000 RPM clutch pillow springs, 95 carb jet, UNI pod air filter, debadged, delobstered, PIAA Super Plasma performance headlight