Armored under shirt / zip up?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slotrod65

Armored under shirt / zip up?

Post by slotrod65 »

Hi gang,

So I am now the proud owner of an original M65 Parka. It is warm, but of course has no armor. I am looking to wear something underneath with armor. I have already tried wearing my GoGo armored hoodie underneath, but it is too bulky. Is anyone aware of a fitted sweatshirt-ish or otherwise zip up, non hooded shirt that has armor?

Thanks in advance.
Fred
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

Bohn is armored but not abrasion-resistant, so that might be of interest.

http://www.compacc.com/p/Bohn-Armor-B20 ... ture-Shirt

also Google Bohn adventure pants or Bohn pants
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Thanks. That is sort of the idea. I was hoping for something a little less Right Said Fred... maybe like a zip up sweatshirt or long sleeve tee...
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I have one of these....
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/spor ... ver+jacket
I feel it is darned near perfect for wearing under just about anything else.
Sadly, it is no longer available. Further internet search may discover something similar, good luck....

I think any light weight 'summer' jacket could be worn under a warmer coat as you've already tried. I recently received a 'GoGo' hoodie and do plan to use it as a 'layering' garment under other jackets when the need arises. I think we've ALL done the 'hoodie-under-a-jacket' thing at one time or another.....

viewtopic.php?t=18128&highlight=pullover+jacket

[Edited to add another 'thought']
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Nullius in verba
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

KABarash wrote:I have one of these....
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/spor ... ver+jacket
I feel it is darned near perfect for wearing under just about anything else.
Sadly, it is no longer available. Further internet search may discover something similar, good luck....

I think any light weight 'summer' jacket could be worn under a warmer coat as you've already tried. I recently received a 'GoGo' hoodie and do plan to use it as a 'layering' garment under other jackets when the need arises. I think we've ALL done the 'hoodie-under-a-jacket' thing at one time or another.....

viewtopic.php?t=18128&highlight=pullover+jacket

[Edited to add another 'thought']
hoodie-under-a-jacket is NORMAL here, because mass-market outerwear is made for the coastal population centers which simply don't get as COLD as it does here, so we have to layer.

I actually bought a cute jacket a size too big to wear over my GoGo hoodie. It looks like i'm just wearing normal hoodie-and-coat. Unfortunately the jacket isn't quite as warm as I had hoped.

slotrod, here's another thing to look at:

https://www.dragginjeans.net/index.php? ... &Itemid=71
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Why is it so much of the really great stuff is "no longer available"?

I noticed this while shopping for helmets too.

If someone would invent an armored "under or over vest" we could wear any combination of summer or winter wear with it.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Whimscootie wrote:Why is it so much of the really great stuff is "no longer available"?
That Irritates me to no end sometimes.....!!
I am more than happy I 'jumped' on that jacket when I did, it was the summer of 2010 I think. My son and I were having the classic 'do as I say, not as I do' argument. He got a sport bike and I told him to 'gear up' as much as possible where I wasn't wearing gear in the hot weather. I found that, suited me well as I have possibly a dozen sweaters and/or sweatshirts of different colors in a similar style.... :lol:
Nullius in verba
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

ravenlore wrote: hoodie-under-a-jacket is NORMAL here, because mass-market outerwear is made for the coastal population centers which simply don't get as COLD as it does here, so we have to layer.

I actually bought a cute jacket a size too big to wear over my GoGo hoodie. It looks like i'm just wearing normal hoodie-and-coat. Unfortunately the jacket isn't quite as warm as I had hoped.
I've done the hoodie-layer thing since the 1970's when clothing actually was warm but it gave me the option to 'take off and put back on' layers as needed during my day &tc.
Looking in my closet recently I've noticed that I even still have some of that clothing, and since I've lost a good amount of weight in the last couple years I guess they're all riding gear now as my GoGo Hoodie fits great under most or all of those items.

ONLY problem I have right now is I feel as the sleeves on the 'hoodie' are a bit snug even around my 'atrophied middle-aged' biceps. I'm hoping it's just the nature of the beast to keep the armor in place....
Nullius in verba
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

If someone is in to the Darth Vader look with appropriate helmet this might work http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/35 ... tic-jersey :?
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Unless the M65 is oversized on you, any armor underneath will probably be an issue. Riding jackets are built with extra space in the shoulders and elbows to accommodate the padding. Fitting any worthwhile armor under a jacket not built this way is pretty difficult.

I tried this very thing. I have an old M51 fishtail as well as a Spiewak parka. I bought some loose Aerostitch armor that comes in pockets that can be sewn or Velcro'd in. Didn't work at all.

The M51, without the liner, is HUGE on me. Still not enough room for armor without really goofing up the jacket and making it fit weird. Also, it limited my range of motion, which made it pretty much useless. I still have that armor in a box in my closet, ha.

You might be able to test if it will work by taking the armor out of the hoodie and just slipping it up the sleeves and into the shoulders of the M65.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…