How do I change the handlebar grips?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

hoopitz

How do I change the handlebar grips?

Post by hoopitz »

Hey everyone! I just ordered some brown handlebar grips to match the brown seat I just installed on my buddy 125, but I'm not sure how to take the old ones off, and put the new ones on.

Has anyone done this, who might be able to give me some pointers?
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Hello,

Changing grips is simple, but might require brute force.

To get the old ones off, you usually just yank! Some people like to squirt WD40 or something in there, but I prefer not to - you'll have to wash it off before putting the new grips on.

To put grips on, first look at them and position them accordingly. One thing you might note is that if they were injection molded or have a seam, you might want to point that down.

Secondly, take note. One grip goes over the throttle sheath. When you pulled the grips off, you noticed a probably white sheath of plastic over the right one. That's the throttle. It probably has little teeth or grooves that the factory grip sat in. Getting the new grip over those is a hassle.

Maybe people have tricks (I suggest spending some time searching youtube) but what has worked for me is to not use any other funny stuff - some squirt hair spray in there and just work them on. Takes a lot of effort but produces the best result.

Avoid trying to pull the grip with pliers, etc as you could harm it.
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
Roofaloof

Post by Roofaloof »

You can cut the old grips off with a razor blade as well.

I tried the hairspray method and it didn't work for me. The grips slid off. I ended up using contact cement.
CountChocula

Post by CountChocula »

If you have an air compressor try shoving that in the open end and sealing as much of the leaking air in so it forces pressure outward.

Worked for me. Had a "duster" attachment with a skinny nozzle at work.

The Count
hoopitz

Post by hoopitz »

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

The grips come in a couple of weeks, so I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.