How hard is it to put on your own racks and windshield?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Whimscootie

How hard is it to put on your own racks and windshield?

Post by Whimscootie »

i am a DIY kind of gal and don't believe in paying others to do what I can do myself.

Put them easily on other scoots. How about on the Buddy?
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Witch

Post by Witch »

Way easier on the Buddy than on any Vespa, that's for sure. Less cursing involved, too. :)
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

As each type has its own mounting hardware and everyone's scooter has small differences that have been personalized for the rider. You may have to come up with a mounting that may be unconventional. Will it be a PITA to mount your own, most likely, will it give you a sense of accomplishment and let you stand back and say "take that you POS that I just mounted", hell ya'.
I picked up a clearance Prima windscreen and did all the above, but I have to admit it looks pretty decent.

The only place I could take anything to have it professionally serviced charges $75 an hour. I'll be damned if I'll pay that when cursing and a few nicks on the knuckles are free.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: How hard is it to put on your own racks and windshield?

Post by BuddyRaton »

Whimscootie wrote:i am a DIY kind of gal and don't believe in paying others to do what I can do myself.

It's a windshield and a front rack for a Buddy. In other words for a DIYer it's a piece of cake. If you've done it on other scoots you know the drill. To mount both should take about an hour.

If you get stuck throw a post up on here and ask for help!

Br sure to give us some photos when done!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

I've seen accounts of people who had some difficulty getting the mounting points to line up for the rear rack, so that might take a little strong-arming.
skipper20

Re: How hard is it to put on your own racks and windshield?

Post by skipper20 »

Whimscootie wrote:i am a DIY kind of gal and don't believe in paying others to do what I can do myself.

The windshield shouldn't be a problem. I put a Prima on my son's '09 Buddy 125 in less than 30 minutes. "Racks" is plural so you must mean both the front and rear racks. The rear shouldn't be a problem but the front will require removing the front panel and drilling out the 2 holes that are partially pre-cut. Being a DIY kind of gal this shouldn't be a problem either. Yes, go for it and then you'll have the satisfaction of standing back, admiring your own work and thinking about that 100 bucks or so that you just saved by doing it yourself. BTW, you've been thinking about that Psycho 125. Have you made a decision yet? Just curious.

Bill in Seattle
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Sounds very do-able!

Yeah, I bought the Psycho! That's over on another thread. Get it in a week or so I hope.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

Check out the Technical Library forum (bottom of main page) there are instructions with pictures for both I believe.
MB #2349
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Windshield is easy. Rear rack can be tricky. I had to use a metal file to enlarge the holes because the rack was not lining up
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Syd

Post by Syd »

Stormswift wrote:Windshield is easy. Rear rack can be tricky. I had to use a metal file to enlarge the holes in the body plastic because the rack was not lining up
Edited for clarity. Hope you don't mind.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Syd wrote:
Stormswift wrote:Windshield is easy. Rear rack can be tricky. I had to use a metal file to enlarge the holes in the body plastic because the rack was not lining up
LOL :wink:
THANX
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Rob

Post by Rob »

Stormswift wrote:
Syd wrote:
LOL :wink:
THANX
Same thing. I had to do some work on the rear rack to get things to line up. Other than that, it should have been a 10 minute job.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright