Amerivespa 2014 Tips

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BeefSupreme

Amerivespa 2014 Tips

Post by BeefSupreme »

Amerivespa is going to be in New Orleans again for 2014. My girlfriend and I are planning on attending, we will be riding from Mobile, AL. We're in the process of planning out our trip. I'm curious if anyone else on MB attended AV2011 in New Orleans and what their experience was with hotels. The Hilton is the official hotel, but when booking through the Amerivespa site as a Attendee, their price is $150 per room. If you book on Hiltons site, rooms start at $99. Any one have thoughts on this or a better suggestions of places to stay that's convenient to event locations?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There were some people who stayed at other hotels in 2011 but if you can swing the Hilton, it's much more convenient — most rides start there. The cheaper rooms at the Hilton are probably smaller; the rally rates at the Hilton are for either a King or two Queens.

You might be able to find some pointers for other hotels in the old thread for 2011 on MV: http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic74896

Or get some advice on the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Amerivespa/201526976158

The Hilton is nice, but HUGE. It's not like some of the others at smaller hotels where we all feel close to each other and are surrounded by other attendees.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Thanks for the links Eric. We ended up booking a room at The Hotel Modern, it seems to be in the middle of where all the 2011 events took place and ended up costing us about $100 less than staying at the Hilton (I will miss that goodie bag though). Now for 8 months of waiting!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well, you still get the rally bag, which is chock full of good stuff!

Would love to do another MB meetup. Usually, by the time we get the full schedule, it's hard to get the word out and squeeze something in. I already know quite a few of us will be there, though!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
hackett

Post by hackett »

ericalm wrote:Would love to do another MB meetup. Usually, by the time we get the full schedule, it's hard to get the word out and squeeze something in. I already know quite a few of us will be there, though!
I'm planning on making this one, come hell or high water. So here's a +1 for another MB meetup.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

hackett wrote:
ericalm wrote:Would love to do another MB meetup. Usually, by the time we get the full schedule, it's hard to get the word out and squeeze something in. I already know quite a few of us will be there, though!
I'm planning on making this one, come hell or high water. So here's a +1 for another MB meetup.
Would be great to see you again!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Weren't you thinking about next year's Cannonball Eric? I thought it got to NOLA after Amerivespa?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Syd wrote:Weren't you thinking about next year's Cannonball Eric? I thought it got to NOLA after Amerivespa?
Yup. I'm past thinking about it — already got my plane ticket to Alaska!
hackett

Post by hackett »

ericalm wrote:
hackett wrote: I'm planning on making this one, come hell or high water. So here's a +1 for another MB meetup.
Would be great to see you again!
Likewise! I should've been able to make this last year's AV, but work got in the way. Going to do everything in my power to make sure that doesn't happen this year.
"The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body." --HST
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:
Syd wrote:Weren't you thinking about next year's Cannonball Eric? I thought it got to NOLA after Amerivespa?
Yup. I'm past thinking about it — already got my plane ticket to Alaska!
It's going to be epic! We'll be crossing the Pontchartrain Causeway as we roll into NOLA. The time officially ends at a local watering hole on the north end of the bridge. I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of ya'll.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ericalm wrote:Well, you still get the rally bag, which is chock full of good stuff!

Would love to do another MB meetup. Usually, by the time we get the full schedule, it's hard to get the word out and squeeze something in. I already know quite a few of us will be there, though!
I'm seriously considering going, and honestly this is at least half the reason I want to :)

My boyfriend is not going to want to go with me, though, so that leaves me driving myself in the car or flying- there are one or two people in my club that WANT to go, but I am skeptical as to whether it will play out, so I won't have anybody else to make the trip with. It makes flying seem much more convenient, but part of the reason I want to go is to stop in the city I was born in and see it (Birmingham, AL) either on the way there or back.

So, if anybody is also making that sort of a drive and wants to meet up and caravan, or carpool, let me know as it gets closer. I'd also be open to sharing a hotel room because money.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Luna, after spending 10 years in Birmingham I recently moved to Mobile earlier this year with my girlfriend. Oh how I miss the great scootering roads up there! I think you'd be surprised in what the city has to offer, it's come a long way the past few years and is turning into a pretty cool, young urban city. Well, parts of it at least.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

BeefSupreme wrote:Luna, after spending 10 years in Birmingham I recently moved to Mobile earlier this year with my girlfriend. Oh how I miss the great scootering roads up there! I think you'd be surprised in what the city has to offer, it's come a long way the past few years and is turning into a pretty cool, young urban city. Well, parts of it at least.
That's what I've heard... from its name, I had always assumed it was a smaller city or town in AL, but on a plane trip this spring I read a 18-page article about how awesome and metropolitan AL is becoming, especially Birmingham. It impressed and intrigued me; my family left when I was about 3, so I don't remember it at all.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

eric.... we may be coming to another amerivespa 2014... rosa doesn't know it yet, but it will be a spontaneous surprise... we had so much fun when we went to amerivespa in new orleans in the past that we cant pass this one up :)
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

So, is there a thread to see about roommates or is this it?
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I just started a thread for accommodations/roommates in the "Rallies, Events" section.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gearhead wrote:eric.... we may be coming to another amerivespa 2014... rosa doesn't know it yet, but it will be a spontaneous surprise... we had so much fun when we went to amerivespa in new orleans in the past that we cant pass this one up :)
Would love to see you guys again!
pugbuddy wrote:I just started a thread for accommodations/roommates in the "Rallies, Events" section.
Don't be pugbuddy's roommate! He's got a well-earned reputation for rally debauchery. Bolt down the tv, lock up the liquor and hide the virgins! Don't put the deposit on your credit card. Put plastic sheeting over everything! Agree on a safe word before showing up. Roofie yourself because you will be scarred for life if you remember what happens. Only bring clothing and items you don't like because you'll have to burn it all when you get home, but only after you get a couple doses of penicillin for yourself. Also, if you develop a rash or any condition that lasts more than four hours, call your doctor immediately. You were warned. :twisted:
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Don't be pugbuddy's roommate! He's got a well-earned reputation for rally debauchery. Bolt down the tv, lock up the liquor and hide the virgins! Don't put the deposit on your credit card. Put plastic sheeting over everything! Agree on a safe word before showing up. Roofie yourself because you will be scarred for life if you remember what happens. Only bring clothing and items you don't like because you'll have to burn it all when you get home, but only after you get a couple doses of penicillin for yourself. Also, if you develop a rash or any condition that lasts more than four hours, call your doctor immediately. You were warned.
I've been disparaged!

Odd, I seem to remember some of Eric's old roommates complaining about these very things.... :twisted:
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

We are finally able to attend (if work cooperates) Amerivespa this year, although I will be riding out there while my wife will be flying. She won't be attending any of the rides, but the events in the evenings. She is a haunted places buff so her and probably one of her friends will be touring the city while I am riding. As for hotels, we are already working the discounts for federal (my wife) and university/education discounts at the hotels. Alot of the hotels will over some pretty good rates on top of their convention specials if you simply ask. If not, eh... it was worth a shot. But my university has some pretty cool partnerships with alot of hotels, rental car agencies and even airlines. Odds are if you work for a large corporation or for the state there are exclusive discounts you don't even know about!! A quick email to an HR rep usually produces a list of these discounts. It could save you some good cash. We're already saving $100 over three days on hotel alone

You just gotta ask!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
hackett

Post by hackett »

ericalm wrote: Don't be pugbuddy's roommate! He's got a well-earned reputation for rally debauchery. Bolt down the tv, lock up the liquor and hide the virgins! Don't put the deposit on your credit card. Put plastic sheeting over everything! Agree on a safe word before showing up. Roofie yourself because you will be scarred for life if you remember what happens. Only bring clothing and items you don't like because you'll have to burn it all when you get home, but only after you get a couple doses of penicillin for yourself. Also, if you develop a rash or any condition that lasts more than four hours, call your doctor immediately. You were warned. :twisted:
:lol:
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Much as I want to stay at Scooter Central (Hilton)' I can't bring myself to pay $150 per night, plus parking. I've booked at my fave place to stay in NOLA, 1870 Banana Courtyard bed & breakfast. It's just the other side of the Quarter, about 15 minutes away.
so tough, so pink
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

That place looks excellent and affordable! If I can swing it, I may yet make AV2014.... Maybe. There are other hurdles to get over before that happens.