Final Gear Ratio Modifications to increase top end speed

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rick71454

Final Gear Ratio Modifications to increase top end speed

Post by rick71454 »

Hello BuddyLand:

Anyone actually change final drive to increase top end speed?
They are different ratios between Buddy 125/150/170i.

Thanks
Rick71454
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

Welcome to my winter project. :)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I'm not sure many have found it worth it to change the top end speed. Buddies can hit 70mph pretty easily in stock configuration if the rider isn't too... average(?) sized. The real fun of the Buddy is it's acceleration. You'll completely kill that if you re-gear it for top speed and you'll probably never achieve said top speed goals if you're ever on anything but a downward grade.

If you manage success, by all means please post it. Be sure to note if you're over 150 lbs and the road gradation.

Also, I'm not sure about where you live but going that fast on 10" wheels legally on roads that allow for those speeds or near them seems quite reckless. If you're talking track circumstances, that's a different animal altogether and I'm OK with that. The thought of doing that around here is insane. That's mainly because the roads around here are more akin to mortared battlefields than surface streets. Yeah, that's directed at you, VDOT. 'Sup?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
easy

Post by easy »

Please read eDan gear set thread before youall try this
what did you trade the day for?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Don't forget to check the speed rating of your tires. I had to find high speed rated tubeless 10-inch tires.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

easy wrote:Please read eDan gear set thread before youall try this
Yeah, that looked pretty intricate _and_ he had some trouble along the way- looked like a classic PGO vs. GY6 discrepancy.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

BuddyRaton wrote:Don't forget to check the speed rating of your tires. I had to find high speed rated tubeless 10-inch tires.
Agreed. also don't forget that the brakes on a Buddy at that speed are less than stellar.

There's a 55mph highway that I have braved on my buddy 2x in a hurry. One very long sloping hill allowed me to hit an indicated 75. To say that made me nervous is an understatement.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You want the gearing from the Psycho. EVERYONE should want the gearing from the Psycho. I have ridden a 150 with that gear kit. YOWZA.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
AmJag

Post by AmJag »

How about changing final gear to get more economy?
Any ideas on that?

I know...I'm a rebel.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

ericalm wrote:You want the gearing from the Psycho. EVERYONE should want the gearing from the Psycho. I have ridden a 150 with that gear kit. YOWZA.
Oh?

Is there someplace one could find such info? Going to wait a year, but then I'm going to do the last of the aftermarket stuff, like shocks/forks/big brake. I figure the way I ride it the Buddy has earned some upgrades. might swap the gearing too if it's not too cost-prohibitive.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

AmJag wrote:How about changing final gear to get more economy?
Any ideas on that?

I know...I'm a rebel.
Possible, but probably not worth the expense of parts and installation. Also, there's not a gear kit available for this purpose, so you'd be rolling the dice on the reliability and quality of whatever you might find.

The Buddy gets such great MPGs now that even adding 20MPGs won't yield much in savings.

Assuming $4/gallon gas price, which is high at this time:
At 90MPG, your fuel cost per mile is $.04.
At 110MPG, not enough of a different to round the cost, still $.04/mile.
At 120MPG, $.03.

So even adding 30MPG at high gas prices, you'd only save $.01/mile. That's a lot of miles to recoup a few hundred bucks in parts and labor — if you could find the parts.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:
AmJag wrote:How about changing final gear to get more economy?
Any ideas on that?

I know...I'm a rebel.
Possible, but probably not worth the expense of parts and installation. Also, there's not a gear kit available for this purpose, so you'd be rolling the dice on the reliability and quality of whatever you might find.

The Buddy gets such great MPGs now that even adding 20MPGs won't yield much in savings.

Assuming $4/gallon gas price, which is high at this time:
At 90MPG, your fuel cost per mile is $.04.
At 110MPG, not enough of a different to round the cost, still $.04/mile.
At 120MPG, $.03.

So even adding 30MPG at high gas prices, you'd only save $.01/mile. That's a lot of miles to recoup a few hundred bucks in parts and labor — if you could find the parts.
What's interesting though, is that gearing for higher top speed should result in higher mpg, because the engine will be running at lower rpm at the most widely used cruising speeds.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Syd wrote:What's interesting though, is that gearing for higher top speed should result in higher mpg, because the engine will be running at lower rpm at the most widely used cruising speeds.
Ha, true! Most people install them so they can ride like demons and burn more gas.
AmJag

Post by AmJag »

Ok, so what gear should be used, what other parts/stuff is necessary and where do I find said gear?

BTW, I don't know where you guys get your stats, but my buddy only gets 90+mpg stoplight to stoplight. Open throttle on the hwy, I'm looking at 60-65mpg.