NSR: Happy 4th of July...and what's your weather like?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

michelle_7728

NSR: Happy 4th of July...and what's your weather like?

Post by michelle_7728 »

Here in the Pacific NW we've been having a heat wave (well...heat wave for us since most of us don't have air conditioning in our houses) with temps in the mid to (sometimes) high 90s.

Do I hear about weather in some places melting shoe soles?

What temps are you having?, and what are your 4th of July plans?

Have a happy and safe one!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Happy 4th! And it's F'n hot as hell...That's the Mojave desert for ya. :(
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dropping to 85° for the 4th. No too bad.

Hoping to go out for a ride with some friends early in the day. After consecutive days of nothing but riding in San Diego, they're all fired up about going for a ride!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Days of rain here - I got out for a ride last night for the first time since Saturday afternoon. Looking good for the long weekend, though. I'll get to test out my new JoeRocket Phoenix jacket in the heat, for sure. :)
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Week after week of rain here, creeks and rivers at or just below flood stages,
severe thunder storms predicted for the 4th. Very little riding being done by
me. Since April we have had 2 days in the low 90's, the rest of the time 60's
at night, 70's and mid 80's during the day. After 3 years of droughts nature
is making up for it big time. :?
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Wolfhound -

I just looked to see where Ball Ground was - man, I bet you have some pretty riding up there when you can ride! And you're just a stones throw (well, OK, kind of a long one) from Springer, too, so you can ride to the AT and go for a hike. :) Cool!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Last year at this time, we were in triple-digits all week. This year, different story. High of 65 yesterday, though rainy, but for the Fourth it's supposed to be 85, clear, 0% precip. Doesn't get much better.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

awesome weather. a bit muggy for my liking the past week or so, but not terrible. otherwise sunny and hot. gotta keep those clouds away, though

plans? a couple of things in the works. don't know which it will be, yet.
Riding is riding
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Weather's been pretty crappy for the last two weeks here. Lots of instability, thunderstorms, and frequent bouts of torrential rain. The unpredictability has made it really difficult to get even two decent riding days in a row. If this keeps up, I'm going to have to install a bilge pump on the Helix. Still and all, I'd rather have this than those 115+ days you guys are getting out West. I can take the cold, but hot weather makes me sick as a dog.

Damned shame about those 19 firefighters that perished.
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

Unseasonably cool here in North TX topping high 80's low 90's instead of the typical triple digits. I have been loving the cool morning commutes hovering in high 60's. This holiday is huge for me( this and every year) cause my birthday is the 6th. My wife and I bought a house last month and we are having a summer blowout, pool party with a 6piece jazz/swing band and plenty of scooter parking!

Rock'n'Roll
Scoot On
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

been pretty wet here in the Mid Atlantic. But sun's coming out and big heat wave for the next week. Heat index up to and over the 100 degree mark expected.

I'll be enjoying my Independence Day with the rest of my crew and wheeling Engine 2 on the west side of the county, as usual. Should be a good day for grilling, hopefully we'll have a break from the usual craziness. Either way, we'll try to get a good vantage point of downtown Washington for when the fireworks light off.

Friday morning, I'm heading up north to Long Island "the old country". Family reunion, with lots of cousins coming all over the country, as it's our last summer in the childhood home before my parents retire and head down to VA. I would rather be riding the Buddy up, but after the 13+ hour trip through heavily populated areas last time, I'm actually content with sitting on the bus and train and just relaxing!

Enjoy the holiday everyone. Don't drink and ride!
Syd

Post by Syd »

It's hot. It's hot for Phoenix. Going north and up for the weekend. No scoot, unfortunately.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

CaptK, we are on the edge of the NGA mountains. Lots of good curvies to
ride on and 2 hours from Bryson City, NC where we can ride the Dragon, Blue Ridge Parkway, Nantahala Gorge, Road to Nowhere, and other great
roads. Today we are getting swamped, line after line of heavy downpours,
which will continue thru tomorrow, temps in the 70's.
Bought a scooter, shoulda bought a boat!! :wink:
pcameronbrooks

Post by pcameronbrooks »

Michelle,

I agree about the Pacific Northwest weather this year. Here in Yakima, the last couple of days dealing with triple digits has been a challenge. On my ride from work yesterday....I wore the least about of clothing I could under my mesh jacket.

Happy 4th to all
dress for the crash, not for the ride.....ride on
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

The weather here south of boston hot & sticky. Chance of showers heavy down pours daily. Very humid. Heading for Cape Cod but in the cage
this week crowded traffic with A/C, cell phones, etc make 2 wheel riding
more stressful than enjoyable. Have a good 4th.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

High of 74 and probably cloudy coastal SD. I probably won't ride at all as its gridlock on the beach. Enjoy the day MB peeps!

Edit: ok we might be riding (but early)
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Syd wrote:It's hot. It's hot for Phoenix. Going north and up for the weekend. No scoot, unfortunately.
112 Degrees. "Slight" chance of thunderstorm, which means there won't be any.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Today, the 4th, is starting off just like yesterday, periods of very heavy rain.
We will get rain(mostly thunderstorms) for 6 out of the next 7 days. July is off to a wet start, May and June were not much better. Temp high yesterday was
68, this morning it is still 68. HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!!
(Bought a scooter, shoulda bought a boat) :wink:
spodgorski

Post by spodgorski »

Sunny and 80s until Monday. I'm very fortunate. :D
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Gorgeously clear and 90's today.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

sunny/partly cloudy and temps in the 80's in southcentral PA...gorgeous weather for an extended ride before work today
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

Central OK is 91 degrees, only 27% humidity. Still cooler than average for this time of the year. After tonight's low of 67, the lows will be in the low 70s through next week. It should be dry through next Wednesday. Highs of mid 90s are predicted for next week.

Sorry about the rainy people on the east coast. It's also too bad about the crazy dry-hot people who might not want to be out or can't safely set off fireworks without risking starting a forest fire.

Enjoy the holiday no matter what your situation.
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I lived in Ok. City 1982-84. Worked as a Show Supt for Onofrio Dog Shows
for two years. I thought that the weather there was good.
We have needed the rain here as the past 3 or 4 years have been very
dry. Now is 70 and raining. More heavy rain tomorrow and the mixed thunder storms thru next Wednesday. Then should dry out. Flash flood warnings out for our area now.
bought a scooter, shoulda bought a boat. :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Breakfast ride with several of the same people who rode down to Amerivespa with our group. We can't get enough!

Not smog, but the marine layer, aka "June gloom." It's a bit like a low fog, but very dense and it moves very quickly, like riding through a moving cloud.

Destination: the peaks in the distance! Then my camera battery died, but it was magnificent, trust me. :)

Up the Pacific Coast Highway

We were treated to some amazing sights heading up the mountains; hoping someone else got pics of that. Isn't "pillion" French for "photographer"?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
theflash784

4 th of July weather

Post by theflash784 »

I am in Decatur, AL right now for a wedding. It has been pouring all day, temps in the upper 70's and we are hoping the wedding on Saturday doesn't get flooded out. I, being from Michigan packed for hot and steamy which we have not had. Great pictures Eric !
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

So that is what the open sky looks like. Been so long since I have seen it I
had forgotten. Thanks, Eric. :lol: