NBR: Want a long range bike, doesn't have to be a scoot

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Howardr

NBR: Want a long range bike, doesn't have to be a scoot

Post by Howardr »

My wife's rule for my riding is that I can be gone all day, but she really prefers that I NOT be gone overnight. That's a rule I can live with.

So, On my RV-250, I have found that 500 to 550 miles is about all I can cover in a day. A lot of that is because the 250 can't really cruise at more than about 55-60mph. I would like a bike that can cruise at 75 or so when I would it to so that I can stretch my mileage to something more like 750-1000 miles.

So, it needs to be comfortable for long hours in the saddle, low maintenance and preferably something that gets decent gas mileage. The new Honda NC700 seems to be a decent contendor. I'm okay with a scooter, but it seems like I would get better bang for the buck with a motorcycle.

I've had friends suggest a BMW, but I don't know that I can afford one.

Any ideas?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
tortoise

Re: NBR: Want a long range bike, doesn't have to be a scoot

Post by tortoise »

Howardr wrote:I'm okay with a scooter, but it seems like I would get better bang for the buck with a motorcycle.
Since you are a very experienced rider, and already know your options, why don't YOU just tell us what you want to hear?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Hey Howard, comfort with those miles means two things:
do the ergonomics fit you?
buy the best aftermarket saddle you can afford

I've spoken to a couple of folks who have/had the NC700. They liked it, but one person described it as "gutless" so he traded it in for a different bike.

Some bikes to consider (used!)
Honda ST
Kawisaki Concours
older BMW K (the flying brick)

These should all be reasonably priced, although what I think is reasonable and what things sell for in warm climates often don't agree.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

New or used? what kind of riding? we all have our favorites, and some we don't like.
Long hauls? shaft drives are great, low maintenance...BMw is nice, but pricey to maintain compared to a Japanese bike. Sold my seca 750 with 88K on it (still running), the cx500 turbo is over 70K, and the wifes nitehawk 650 was a great ride for her for years.

If you want a bigger bike? The "old" 1000 concours are cheap to find these days and a great bike.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Rob

Re: NBR: Want a long range bike, doesn't have to be a scoot

Post by Rob »

tortoise wrote:
Howardr wrote:I'm okay with a scooter, but it seems like I would get better bang for the buck with a motorcycle.
Since you are a very experienced rider, and already know your options, why don't YOU just tell us what you want to hear?
And what is the purpose of a response such as that?

Howard is a long standing, well respected member of MB. It's obvious that he would like to draw upon the experiences of others.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm not sure of your budget, but I'd second going with either a Honda or Kawasaki. Same reasoning .... very reliable rides along with cheap/easy maintenence along with very solid performance.

Someone mentioned the Concours14. A friend rides one and loves it. My next bike is likely to be a Kawasaki Vaquero, but that might be more than you're looking for.

As for the NC700, I don't have any direct experience with that model, although my midsized bike is a Honda Shadow 750. I don't know if it's a dog, but it gets my 240#'s up to highway speeds more than quick enough for me. I've ridden the Shadow on many long day trips. If you're going used, you can find these with fairly low miles, from 2006 on up, for probably $3K.

** edit ** I believe someone mentioned the Honda CTX700 series in another thread. I saw these at the Chicago MC show and they looked great. I didn't catch the price though.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

how is it an rv250 only cruises at 55mph-60mph? i have read 75mph and SYM claims a top speed of 91mph! i believe those are carb'd models, too?

something is fishy :nerd:
Riding is riding
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

It appears you're looking for a motorcycle, but allow me to point out there are some robust scoots out there.

Bev 500, 'Beo 500, Xciting 500...
jdanderson1449

Post by jdanderson1449 »

What kind of roads? What kind of riding? Since you wouldn't be gone over night what kind of gear would you need to take with you?

Depending on what you want and how you want it, there are tons of options. BMW has always been a good one for touring but be wary of a used K bike that seems too good to be true, you usually just inherit someone else's problems.

Do you want to be able to do maintenance yourself? The small GS models and KTM would almost certainly be out. 950, 990 Adventures have 4 oil filters and adjusting valves in a LC8 motor (Rotax) would take you not less than 5 hours with experience and proper tools.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a dual sport motorcycle for years. I'm small so R1200 or R1150 GS BMW is out, weighing in at almost as much as HD FLHTCU models I'd never be able to get it off the ground.

I think for my purposes, a Suzuki 650 VStrom would be almost perfect if they had wire spoke wheels. Same platform as the SV, reasonable cost, even new. Can be outfitted for touring, good torque all the way through the powerband in case you get in to a sticky situation. And anyone with a little know how and some time can do most routine maintenance on them. Oh, and they come in 1000cc models too.

Maybe a Triumph. The 800 Tigers are really nice but if they have the same torque profile as it's 955 predecessor, I'm out and maintenance too. Good riding bikes but not for someone who wants to do their own maintenance and be a able to just twist to get out of a pickle.
09 Blackjack (less than stock)
00 Suzuki SV650
69 Honda CL450 (sold)
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

My budget is as far under $10k as I can get. I prefer new (for warranty purposes) but a solid used bike is okay too. I do my own oil changes, but am not very handy doing much beyond that.

The riding would be some interstate and a lot of 2 lane highway and back roads. I am also prone to seeing the occasional dirt road and going down it to explore. No "off road" stuff however.

Here in the desert southwest, there is a LOT of open country and not very many towns or fuel stops, so decent range is important.

Regarding my RV-250 and it's speed, or lack thereof. The fastest speed I have ever attained was a gps verified 76mph, down a long hill and tucked behind the windscreen. It can maintain speeds of 60-65mph but mileage when doing so drops from 60mpg to 40mpg or less. Therefor the "practical" cruising speed is closer to 55.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I just found this article so you may be interested. It fits your price range nicely. As to range, it has about a 3-1/2 gallon tank but the engine is supposed to be fuel-efficient.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/02/ ... 4-ctx700s/

It appears to have the same engine as the NC700. I haven't ridden one yet but the "gutless" thing is to be expected from people who don't "get" the new engine. It's designed to be efficient, which is a new concept for motorcycles, I must say. I like performance myself but I also know it's looking a bit silly for a MC to only get 40 mpg when there are cars that can to that now.

I've only just seen the ads for this bike today but if my 20+ YO Honda can do that kind of mileage, and it can, easily, then this machine certainly can also.

On a different tack, since you mention used bikes, I've often thought it would be a pretty good idea to buy a used HD Sportster 883 and add decent shocks, tune the forks to match, and ride the wheels off of it. The fuel-injected models are said to get quite good mileage and unlike Japanese bikes, as much as I love them, somebody will be able to get parts for it many years from now. As to durability, there is a lady on another forum with one who has been touring on one for years and has topped 100,000 miles.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Ok, with the updated info, I'm thinking a bike that could handle dirt roads easily but also be able to haul long-distances. I disagree about buying a new bike but I'll never understand no matter how many different people try to explain the allure of new over well-kept (and much cheaper) used.

more road oriented
Kawasaki Versys
another vote for the Suzuki Wee Strom (DL650)

more dirt road oriented
BMW F650GS or the new Sertao
KLR 650 -- I wouldn't get a new one as they're just way too heavy now
jdanderson1449

Post by jdanderson1449 »

Again, the smaller BMW GS series would be an excellent contender here. If you're not worried about some of the bigger maintenance items, I'd say go for it. 650's and 800's can be had for around $4-6k used and are still incredibly reliable.

We've been riding Beemers for years here, and still have /2, /5, and /6s in service as well as some of the newer oil heads. System luggage can be had for not a ton of money too and there are tons of options for "aftermarket" luggage too/

I'd say, as far as a dual sport motorcycle is concerned, I'd put my butt in the saddle of a BMW any day. I just don't want to do the maintenance on the Rotax motors in the 650 and 800 but they are bulletproof. 1990 R100GSPD went for 180,000 before doing any "major" work and that was just a drive shaft.
00 Suzuki SV650
69 Honda CL450 (sold)
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

How old is TOO old for a BMW? I'm looking at CL and seeing bikes from '75 - '85. Are parts still available for those?

Howard
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Howardr wrote:How old is TOO old for a BMW? I'm looking at CL and seeing bikes from '75 - '85. Are parts still available for those?

Howard
My boyfriend's 1973 R75/5 is his daily commuter in the summer. He was in a hit-and-run and had replacements parts in hand within the week from Hucky in Florida. The guy sold the business but it's still up and running (http://www.bmwhucky.com/.

We can still get parts at our local shop because they've been in business since the 1950's and have them laying around.

Just know, if you're paying someone else to do the work, it may cost more if you're going to a BMW dealer (compared to the dude who's been working on BMWs for 40 years or the generic Japanese bike shop).

My neighbor picked up an '85 K bike for $1000 and plowed $900 into it for parts and labor from the dealer. All in all, not a bad deal because he paid so little for it (under 15,000 miles, original owner, all paperwork).

And if you pick up a GS/PD cheap (ha!) and don't like it, call me ;)
jdanderson1449

Post by jdanderson1449 »

No such thing as too old for a BMW. We've been doing complete restorations on air heads as old as 55. The most recent being a 59 R69S. Parts can get a little spendy but they're out there. And you'll never ride a more pleasant bike, ever. We've been doing Beemer for more than 35 years here and I don't see it ending any time soon.

Makes me wanna pull out the 65 and go for a ride. Big dreams for a day at work.
00 Suzuki SV650
69 Honda CL450 (sold)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The BMWs I've been looking at recently are the K75s and K100s. I've always loved the flat twin airhead R-series, but in terms of bang for your buck, especially these days, the K's are undervalued. I'm not sure if this is the case all over the country but the cafe racer/Triumph/etc. bike trendiness has inflated prices on a lot of models, including any R-series BMW. You can still get a very nice late '80s K75 with low mileage for under $3K. K100s might be a little better for touring, as many will already have cases. Also, the K100 has a rear disc. Aesthetically, I prefer the K75 with the smaller, sport fairing that I'd probably pull to run it naked.

Oh, and these are liquid cooled, fuel injected engines! The 75 is a 3 cyl, the 100 a 4. It was originally a modified Peugeot car engine!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Great ideas. I'll keep up the search. Had a friend tell me, today, that another good option might be a used Honda Shadow 750.

Howard
easy

Post by easy »

Husqvarna tr650 terra/strada checkout cafe husky forum for more info
what did you trade the day for?
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I was hoping to graduate to a maxi scooter and Bergman 650 was 1st choice ......until I saw it and stood next to it. That bike is huge. I thought flat footing is my main problem? Not. Then I looked at Silverwing. I t did not look as comfortable, had a much leaner look to it and was definately less intimidating. And it is a Honda. I just do not see any used ones being sold in my area......So I learned that no matter what reviews I read or feedback I get those are just ideas to explore. There is such thing as right bike for right person. Bergman is not a good fit for me....
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Juan1

Post by Juan1 »

If you want a comfy twin, it is tough to beat the Wee Strom or the Versys.
If you want a revy 4 with an aluminum frame and nice ergos, try a 2007-2009 FZ6. I miss mine.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I couldn't recommend the NC700X high enough. The "gutless" comment baffles me as I associate torque with guts. The NC has lots of torque with a very flat and always available torque band. It lacks horsepower, but not in any discernible way. If you're looking for a sports bike, yeah, you'll be disappointed. The NC700X won't win any races there. It won't be too far behind either. It will go all day, sipping gas and providing a much more comfortable mount (once you get the seat and windshield to your preferences). I don't see a sports bike being comfortable for more time than it takes for the engine to warm up.

I had major concerns about the reviews of the NC700X saying that it's low powered and similar. It's not and a test ride sorted that out quit quickly. Those reviews compare it to a crotch rocket which will always cast the NC700X in poor light. It's specs make it sound bland, but it's got solid torque and it revs quickly. It's also comfortable and very easy to handle thanks to its low center of gravity.

The New CX line might be more your style if you prefer cruiser ergonomics or a lower seat. I can't speak to the specifics of that model, but I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with either... unless deep down you wanted a crotch rocket.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^

i don't quite understand the gutless comments from a lot of places when it comes to "smaller" bikes. i mean i have not rode cycles, but does everything need to be a supersport or drag race winner to not be "gutless?"

coming from 125 / to 150cc scooters really makes me think some folks just lose perspective after a bit. you're on two wheels, can out accelerate any vehicle on the road and cruise at 120mph on the speedo, and that is gutless?

oh, ok. :rofl:

anyone who says that, i will NOT take their word for it
Riding is riding
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I do know that when the new ones are available, maybe even the 500's, I am going to go test ride one. I'm going to maybe say sweet things to it, and make promises of a year or two down the road.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

May I say 500+ miles in a day strikes me as a good days endeavor and I find that is all I got in me. I admire your ambition. R
Rob

Post by Rob »

Howardr wrote:Great ideas. I'll keep up the search. Had a friend tell me, today, that another good option might be a used Honda Shadow 750.

Howard
Check up a few posts from this. I fully support and endorse a used Shadow 750, :D

Actually I have a used Shadow. Been a fun and very dependable ride. A great mid-sized choice. The only thing that I don't particularly care for is the tubed tires, but that's just me.

In fact here's the thread when I first introduced the Shadow. The pics were provided from the guy that I bought it from. I think I have a some others that I'll search for:
viewtopic.php?t=12080&highlight=

Here's another pic of the Shadow after I purchased it.

Rob
- Steven Wright
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Hey Rob, do you still have the Shadow? If so, how has it worked out for you?

Howard
Big Bob

Post by Big Bob »

Cruisers are the most comfortable bikes out there for sure, I've owned about 20 of them since 1980. My current Kawasaki Vulcan 750 will top 120 mph, and cruise effortlessly at 80 mph all day. It's also super comfortable. I have been looking at the Honda CTX700 as an eventual replacement for it. It has a comfortable riding position (no "lean forward" with rearset pegs) but does not look like a cruiser.

For scooters, the Honda Silverwing and Suzuki Burgman 650 are both capable of cruising all day in comfort at well above the speed limit, though they don't really satisfy my definition for a scooter. The Buddy/Stella/Vespa type are what says "scooter" to me.

I am divorced (a long time ago) my kids are grown, and I can come and go as I please. I love to take several day trips on small bikes/scooters. A small bike can turn a 1,000 mile trip into a serious adventure without costing a fortune.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Okay...it is a scooter (well a maxi scooter), but the Yamaha Majesty 400 is a very comfortable bike, very reliable, LOTS of storage space (even front cubbies), and you can find them for very reasonable prices. It has a center stand, a side stand, and a parking brake which I really liked.

I had one a while back, and loved it. I do miss it now and again, but I'm going for a Aprilia Scarabeo 500, which has a little smaller feel to me and seems a little easier to maneuver around the garage (being an older female).

I might be misremembering, but I think it got around 50 mpg...
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Kawasaki Ninja 250 or 500
Kawasaki Ninja 650 or KLR or Z1000 or ZRX 1200
Honda F3 or Hornet 599/919
Suzuki SV650 or Versys or Bandit or Katana
Yamanail YZF or TDM 850
Triumph Sprint ST/RS or Bonnie or Trophy
Ducati Monster
Hardley Sportster
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Howardr wrote:Hey Rob, do you still have the Shadow? If so, how has it worked out for you?

Howard
Hi Howard,
I still have the Shadow and it's a great mid-sized bike. I've taken it on fairly long rides, up to 600 miles in a day if I remember correctly, but that's about as far as I'd want to push it. Comfortable enough, but for the longer rides, I have a Vulcan 1600 that is much better suited, at least for me, for those distances.

The Shadow is basically bulletproof. Very minimal and easy maintenance and it will run and run and run. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, particularly at the bargain prices you can usually find on a used Shadow.

My only original concern was the fact it had tubed tires. I'm still not 100% comfortable with that, but it's never been an issue either. Mine is a 2003 and I'm not sure what year they went tubeless.
I should mention that when cruising at speeds of 70+ mph, I often start searching for an imaginary 6th gear.. It's a 5 speed, and at times seems to wind out a bit at higher speeds. I thought this was just me, but another Shadow rider I know has the same opinion. I know some people change the rear sprocket out to a 37 tooth (vs the stock 41), which in essence changes the gear ratio and results in an RPM reduction. It's not really that much of a problem, so I never bothered with this mod. The Shadow is also a chain drive vs. shaft. Not a big deal to me (just some very minimal maintenance), but some people prefer a shaft.

Overall, I did quite a bit of research before I went with the Shadow and basically all reviews were very positive.

Rob
- Steven Wright