Philip McCaleb wishes you a joyous holiday season

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bigdad381

Philip McCaleb wishes you a joyous holiday season

Post by bigdad381 »

Yes, I am earlier this year than in previous years. There IS a reason for it, I think. Rather than catch you all AFTER the holidays, this year I want to share my gratitude and message BEFORE we all sit down to eat!

I am grateful and have been moved by the literally hundreds of messages I have received over the past three months. Get well wishes, kind thoughts from the thousand or so people I went on rides with this past year, and many reminders WHY I got into this business to begin with.

We all have good years, bad years, and those years which provide profound insights into what really means the most to us. This year, I struggled with divorce, teenagers, moving, and then a surgery that was much, much more than I had anticipated. I found out just how important friends are, and why it's so important to suit up and show up when called upon to be a true friend.

My dealers are all my good friends. Probably a critical error in business judgement in this time of impersonal relationships! Rt 66 Glenn, Dave of Metro, Scoot Richmond, Scooterville Minnesota, the MAC guys from Lake Geneva, Steve of Motosport, Scoot Over Tucson, Twist N Scoot, Sportique Scooters, Noho Scooters, Barry Gwin..and MANY others, showed their support in so many ways I cannot begin to count. I had invites for Thanksgiving, offers to fly to Chicago to help me move, funny and thoughtful gifts sent to buoy my spirits......

The Buddy Brigade....wow!
Dave Harrington of justgottascoot.com, Ron Arnold, Howard, Chris and Julie, Bonegirl Angie, Jen from SD, Justin and Eric from LA, red hand moto, buddybliss, Leyna and Davide, mollymads...the decatur boys, nathanial, there are so many of you out there that I can't possibly mention everyone, though I would like to! The moderators who keep a tidy forum with great karma get my sincere thanks as well.

I'm not going to talk about business. Yes, there are cool new scooters coming!!!

I am just a scooterist, and yes, a dork, too. The love, support and endless messages of hope and faith have gotten me through a challenging year. I am excited to go on more rides with everyone this coming year. Sorry, Cincy, for bailing at the last minute! Austin, I'll be back!

Last but not least I raise my glass to Eric Almendral. It's special to have him as our forum's leader and moderator. I had the good fortune of spending a little time with Eric this past summer in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Anyone interested in returning there to do a "Genuine family reunion?" That would be fun!!!
Spend time with your family this season. Call instead of sending the e-mail, give the hug that's hard to give, say you are sorry when you need to, and support your local scooter dealer!!!

Thank you all for your love and support. You ARE family, and you all are loved and appreciated more than you know.

One day at a time. Enjoy the moment and have a wonderful holiday and a joyous and prosperous new year.

with love,

Philip McCaleb

contact me anytime. I am philip@genuinescooters.com
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Welcome back, chief.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

thanks merry christmas and happy new year, too
Riding is riding
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

A happy and healthy 2013 to you.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Phil, it sounds like this wasn't an easy year my friend!

Here's to a much better 2013. And I hope you get to come visit your homeland so we can go up over Boulder and through Nederland. :P.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

As everyone else has said, many wishes for a more healthy and happy 2013!
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

We get through stuff by the grace of God and the support of family and friends. Hang in there. There are far more people that care about you and keep you in their prayers then you'll ever know.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hey Phil, great to see a post from you! Happy Holidays and I second the motion that you have a Happy and Healthy 2013. :D
z20k

Post by z20k »

This right here is exactly why I continue to support Genuine. 8)

Happy Holidays, Phil - and as an Austinite, we look forward to getting to meet you!
Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

here's to wishing you a happy and healthy 2013!
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Merciful God, what a calamitous year...and that long silence after word of the surgery and complications.

And now, back on the feet and swinging again. redhand chokes up. Long may you lean in the corners and scrape the sidestand!.
honi soit qui mal y pense
Syd

Post by Syd »

Welcome back Phil!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Thanks for this post, Phil. Every year when I see it, I'm reminded of what a great choice I made when I bought my Buddy in 2007.

All the best to you- better things are ahead for sure. Happiest of Holidays to you!
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Happy Holidays!
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
theflash784

Happy Holidays

Post by theflash784 »

Phil- thank you for the post and for providing us with a great product. I will continue to pray for your recovery. I hope 2013 is a much better year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Merry Christmas Phil, glad to see you are on the other side of the obstacles that have been placed in your path. It is a family and we hurt when you hurt. Here's to a great 2013 with many scooters sold and ridden. :D
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Phillip,

It's great to hear from you and know that you're on the mend. I really enjoyed chatting with you during your visit to Tucson and look forward to seeing what Genuine has in the pipeline. I hope that you have a Merry Christmas and that the New Year brings blessings and good fortune; you've earned it after this year!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Merry Christmas Phil!...Glad you are on the mend.

Divorce you can handle, the body heals, dealers keep sellin'...but teenagers?? Go with God my friend.. LOL...I have two of them 13, and 15...and thank goodness I love them :)....and (shhh they love me, but don't let them know it )..
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Thanks for the update, Phil! Great to hear from you and great to hear that you're moving in the right direction health-wise. Hope your 2013 is like a breath of fresh air.
tortoise

Re: Philip McCaleb wishes you a joyous holiday season

Post by tortoise »

bigdad381 wrote:I'm not going to talk about business. Yes, there are cool new scooters coming!!!
REALLY hoping your interpretation of "cool" is something other than a Lemonhead Buddy variation!
LunaP

Re: Philip McCaleb wishes you a joyous holiday season

Post by LunaP »

bigdad381 wrote: We all have good years, bad years, and those years which provide profound insights into what really means the most to us. ... I found out just how important friends are, and why it's so important to suit up and show up when called upon to be a true friend.
VERY well said... although I'm sorry you've been through something that has made you truly comprehend the gravity of such a statement. I hope your long year (and surgery/ies) are over, and it is only up from here for you!

Lake Geneva for a Genuine Reunion would be fun... I missed Amerivespa, and despite the fact that I now own one, if I drive halfway across the country once a summer for a Rally, I'd rather it be for you... I think I'll always identify as a Genuine owner first. Let us know, I'll keep an eye out for that Groupon Getaway for Lake Geneva... :D I will cross my fingers that this does not happen in May... our May is booked.

Glad to hear from you Phil... keep on 'scootin! :helmet: 8)
BoneGirl

Howdy Doody, my friend.

Post by BoneGirl »

Dear Philip,

Whenever I read your letters I know you are a sentimental sap just like me! That's not a bad thing, either.

Thanks for the wonderful Christmas Wish to all your friends. Your year has certainly been a struggle and I know you had some serious blues. Seems it just kept piling up but here you are digging yourself out of the rubble and moving forward.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I see your muscles popping out everywhere; both physical and spiritual!

If nothing else, you now realize just how many folks around the country really do care about you. But it is only because you cared about us first! Thanks for being so "genuine".

And here's a giant Christmas, Healing Hug,

Bonegirl
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Happy holidays Big Dad! I can't believe it has been a year already since your last annual MB post!

I hope this holiday season marks the beginning of what will be the best year ever for you. Wishing you and the family all the best. Looking forward to that ride together soon!

Ho ho ho!!!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Welcome back, Phil and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

It's always good to hear from you.

It was so nice getting to spend a little bit of time with you when you were here in Tucson. I look forward to seeing you again. Are you going to be at Amerivespa this year? I hope so and look forward to a giant Genuine ride.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

And Happy Holidays to you. May you enjoy the full blessings of the season. Sounds like you've had a particularly rough year and here's hoping the next one will be MUCH better.

Can't wait to hear your scooter news.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Dude ! Rock On! And be strong and persevering. R
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Great to hear from you Phil! I'm glad you're on the up and up, it was a relief to hear an update. "Koukla" and I wish you a Merry Christmas and all the Blessings and best for the New Year. I'd too love to have a Genuine reunion ride, but either way, a pilgrimage to Chicago is in order.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

So good to hear! God bless you and Merry Christmas!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Glad that the recovery is accelerating and hoping for your return to full health ASAP. High on the list for 2013 is my visit to your neck of the woods (that riding weekend that we talked about), and I LOVE your idea of a "Genuine Family Gathering" (GFG) in Lake Geneva. We had a blast at Amerivespa and I'd love to make it back out there, and soon.

Looking forward to seeing the crew at DealerExpo if I can swing it this year.

Be well and if you're ever in the neighborhood, let me know and I'll get your room ready. We ride year-round here in the D!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Thanks for the update and good wishes!

Thanks for all the fun and family of the scooter community that you add so much to.

Always remember

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." - John Lennon

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

May we all scoot safely in 2013!
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

Glad to have you back, big guy! A lot of what you wrote at the end applies pretty much year round to a lot of folks, but it's always good to be reminded.
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Mr. McCaleb--

I've never met you, and probably never will as I don't tend to get out of my turf here in Washington state, but I heard about your surgery a few months back, and am glad to hear that you are still with us.

Thanks for bringing such a great product to the market here in America--it is much loved and appreciated.

Happy Holidays to you and yours...and if you have not recovered completely yet, I hope you will soon.

--Best wishes
jim morgensen

Post by jim morgensen »

Its been a very hard year for many of us. Here's to a way better time for us all. Very glad to hear your year is heading on a better track. And new scooters?...... need a new dealer in southern illinois. Please...........
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Back at you Phil......... you know marriage is something you only do a few times in your life, same with surgery, and teens? I hear they grow up to appreciate their parents.

It's been a year of upheaval for many of us: look what happened to twinkies.

I luv my scoot, it has taught me so much about myself.
You are dead on about Eric, wow, what a great guy / friend.

So happy that you are feeling better.!!!! A less eventful 2013 in your direction!

Rage on!
She with the most 'used' toys wins.