Today I bought... *PHOTOS*

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

LunaP

Today I bought... *PHOTOS*

Post by LunaP »

...a 2005 Vespa LX50. Midnight blue, with a little less that 8K on it.

Lokky and I found it on CL, advertised as a 2007, for 950... which is hundreds-a thousand less than I have planned on spending. And it was a color I liked. So we went for it.

The lady I bought it from is its second owner... when Scoot Richmond ran the VIN for us it came back that it was bought in this city, and was never registered in the first place (that's also when we found out it was actually an '05). KBB value for one in excellent condition is $1700... this one is not in excellent condition, but it's not a total clunker either. I would call it 'fair'... I feel like I got a great deal as long as there is nothing extraordinarily wrong with it.

It has some scratches and dents, and some glue remnants that need removing. It also doesn't seem to have 100% of the pep it should... but it most certainly needs an oil change, and possibly a carb clean and de-restriction. Depending on how much initial service turns out to be, I am heavily considering taking it to a guy around here that has a relationship with the club/shop who does custom body paint.

I've already asked for a back rack to be put on, I may also consider bars, and definitely a top case eventually.

I may or may not paint the top case like my Av, and add an antenna ball... 'cause I can.

:D
Last edited by LunaP on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Yay! Congratulations!!!

And I assume you have all new gear? You and Lokky might want to look into encasing this one in a bubble!!! :D
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

Congrats, look forward to seeing the pictures of it!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

jmazza wrote:Yay! Congratulations!!!

And I assume you have all new gear? You and Lokky might want to look into encasing this one in a bubble!!! :D

Thanks guys!

Hahaha yeah, I got an armored denim jacket on super closeout for $40, and a new Scorpion 3/4 helmet for $20 around the same time . I also bought summer gloves to replace the ones I lost, and snagged a pair of Firstgear armored mesh pants for about $30 (I had nothing else to do, so I scoured the interwebs for great prices on gear).

I still have my winter gloves, which are undamaged, and things like my balaclava and silk glove liners. BUT, I plan on buying a heavier armored jacket (probably from Go Go), and definitely some knee/shin guards. I'd like to buy some legit boots, but getting my left foot into anything A) that laces, B ) that has a heel, or C) goes past my low ankle is REALLY tricky... usually impossible. I will probably end up settling for some nice sturdy leather shoes for riding.

Of course, all of this spending will hopefully be done while the Spend-A-Thon is going on!
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

omfg congratulations!!!
stASH

Post by stASH »

Yay for getting a great scooter! Double yay for that whole getting back on the horse thing!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Congratulations! New-to-you bikes are always cool, and 50cc bikes are just fun to mess around with! Only way to get more "dolce vita" would have been to nab an old 50 Special. I'm picking up an '02 Zuma next week that needs a little TLC and a lot cleanup/tuneup, so I'm stoked to hear how other folks love the 50s.

Also, let me also congratulate you on getting back on the horse (or is a 50cc a good-natured Shetland instead?). May the miles and smiles pile up quickly. :D

EDIT: I forgot to ask, but is it a 2T or a 4T?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Congrats & felicitations on your re-entry to scooting - does our heart good, don't it? :D
honi soit qui mal y pense
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Mad props for getting back on that horse! Enjoy every second!

Last weekend one of our Adventurists members who recently had a spill came out for his first ride since and had the time of his life. So the fun definitely goes on! I hope you have an equally fantastic time.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

az_slynch wrote:Congratulations! New-to-you bikes are always cool, and 50cc bikes are just fun to mess around with! Only way to get more "dolce vita" would have been to nab an old 50 Special. I'm picking up an '02 Zuma next week that needs a little TLC and a lot cleanup/tuneup, so I'm stoked to hear how other folks love the 50s.

Also, let me also congratulate you on getting back on the horse (or is a 50cc a good-natured Shetland instead?). May the miles and smiles pile up quickly. :D

EDIT: I forgot to ask, but is it a 2T or a 4T?
It's a 4T, fo sho. I am eagerly waiting the call from the shop in the next couple of days, definitely. I'm excited, despite the anxiety. I appreciate the vintage Vespa no less than the next person, but I wouldn't want an old project bike. I can't really do much work on it, myself... and then there's the whole shifting thing. :P

Thanks! Maybe it is more of a pony than a horse, but that's just fine by me! :lol:
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Awesome!! Can't wait to see pics!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
TVB

Post by TVB »

LunaP wrote:Maybe it is more of a pony than a horse, but that's just fine by me! :lol:
Ponies... are bad-ass. :helmet:
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

TVB wrote:
LunaP wrote:Maybe it is more of a pony than a horse, but that's just fine by me! :lol:
Ponies... are bad-ass. :helmet:
+1 :P
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

Congrats on the buy!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

nicely done!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Congratulations Luna! I look forward to riding with you and Lokky again at Dogwood rally, unless something comes up sooner. Weather permitting, I plan to go to FYBO in NC, maybe you'll be there too? Ed's packing the RVA trailer.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Good on you, Luna. Be safe, take your time regaining skills and confidence, and enjoy yourself. As hard as it's been for you, I'm proud of you for being a voice for motorcycle visibility / driver attentiveness, too.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
greg531

Post by greg531 »

I thought 05 and 06's 50's were 2 strokes......like my 05 Typhoon.....I guess if you can find a place to put 2 cycle oil under the seat, it's a 2 stroke, and if you can find a place to add oil by the engine, and a drain plug, it's a 4 stroke....
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

Being a 4T could also explain why it "doesn't seem to have 100% of the pep it should". You lose out on some zip compared with the 2T, but the environment usually wins from the improved emissions. :mrgreen:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Congratulations and use it well.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:Congratulations Luna! I look forward to riding with you and Lokky again at Dogwood rally, unless something comes up sooner. Weather permitting, I plan to go to FYBO in NC, maybe you'll be there too? Ed's packing the RVA trailer.
Yes! We are planning to go to FYBO. I have to go threaten my dealer because they haven't put a hitch on my car yet... and then I need a trailer. I've even gotten a bunch of fancy-ass camping gear so that I can camp as comfortably as possible at Dogwood.
PeteH wrote:Good on you, Luna. Be safe, take your time regaining skills and confidence, and enjoy yourself. As hard as it's been for you, I'm proud of you for being a voice for motorcycle visibility / driver attentiveness, too.
Thank you, Pete! I do really feel strongly that drivers being commonly aware of MC's and scooters when they pull out of their driveways would be the most effective way to reduce MC collisions. I doubt it will happen, but I would go on a TV advertising campaign if I had a corporate sponspr that would spend a little money on it.

Additionally, I have considered contacting my local news or paper to tell them what I'm doing in January and why, and see if either would be interested on doing a story about it.

I've also seriously thought about producing a fancy scooter calendar and selling them at a markup, and donating what the project earns to help crash survivors financially. That project, however, would take a lot of time, pro or semi-pro photography, and a large handful of volunteers.
greg531 wrote:I thought 05 and 06's 50's were 2 strokes......like my 05 Typhoon.....I guess if you can find a place to put 2 cycle oil under the seat, it's a 2 stroke, and if you can find a place to add oil by the engine, and a drain plug, it's a 4 stroke....
thatvwbusguy wrote:Being a 4T could also explain why it "doesn't seem to have 100% of the pep it should". You lose out on some zip compared with the 2T, but the environment usually wins from the improved emissions. :mrgreen:
Scoot Richmond's guru told me it was a 4-stroke, and it sounds much more like my 170i did than any of the 2-strokes I know. When I said 'pep', I mostly meant top speed, it had a little trouble getting to 40mph when Lokky rode it... but it was also quite cold, it hasn't been driven recently, the lady bought it at the beginning of the summer and hasn't changed the oil, AND we aren't sure if it has been de-restricted... so I think all of these things contribute to that. I feel very certain she'll have more pep in her step once the shop has tuned her up :)

I am gear shopping right now... I finally hopped back on the back of Lokky's Stella today for the club's first Sunday ride. Beautiful day, perfect weather! But I decided that I also want to get a new pair of heavy gloves. Mine are tight, and have never really loosened up even though they are leather... and the liner comes loose inside the fingers and makes me mad.

I want to try and find a short (just above ankle) MC boot... catch being that it probably needs a zipper up the side for me to get my foot into it, and the heel really can't be higher than 1/2-3/4 of an inch (not including any part that may platform with the rest of the sole). So if any of you see a boot like that and it's in stock in a Ladies 10, or a men's 8.5, please let me know!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Doublepost, sorry... but real talk.

Scooterworks has a 90cc Malossi kit for the LX50. :twisted:
TVB

Post by TVB »

LunaP wrote:Scoot Richmond's guru told me it was a 4-stroke, and it sounds much more like my 170i did than any of the 2-strokes I know. When I said 'pep', I mostly meant top speed, it had a little trouble getting to 40mph when Lokky rode it... but it was also quite cold, it hasn't been driven recently, the lady bought it at the beginning of the summer and hasn't changed the oil, AND we aren't sure if it has been de-restricted... so I think all of these things contribute to that. I feel very certain she'll have more pep in her step once the shop has tuned her up :)
If he got it anywhere near 40mph, it's probably already derestricted. But cold weather could definitely hold it back from reaching its full potential speed.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

LunaP wrote:Doublepost, sorry... but real talk.

Scooterworks has a 90cc Malossi kit for the LX50. :twisted:
awww yeah! :wink:
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

I would love to see some reliability and lifespan data when going from a 50cc to a 90cc big bore kit. Bolt on kits that almost double displacement sound like a good way to stress other engine internals (crankshaft, connecting rods etc.) into an untimely death.

Will the 90cc kit run with the stock carb and cam, or is the BBK itself really just a small part of the expense? Looking at it from another viewpoint, would stock brakes still be enough, or is a brake upgrade needed to have a safe ride? Likewise, the variator and belt size on a 90cc scooter would typically be larger from the factory than a 50cc scooter, which could impact safety and reliability.

A majority of the scooter pilots I know purchase a smaller scooter than they really want and then try to make it perform better than the manufacturer ever intended. This often leads to spending more money in the long run than buying a larger scooter in the first place. I don't know if there is a similar trend with riders in Europe and Asia as well, or if this is a uniquely American concept.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

thatvwbusguy wrote:I would love to see some reliability and lifespan data when going from a 50cc to a 90cc big bore kit. Bolt on kits that almost double displacement sound like a good way to stress other engine internals (crankshaft, connecting rods etc.) into an untimely death.

Will the 90cc kit run with the stock carb and cam, or is the BBK itself really just a small part of the expense? Looking at it from another viewpoint, would stock brakes still be enough, or is a brake upgrade needed to have a safe ride? Likewise, the variator and belt size on a 90cc scooter would typically be larger from the factory than a 50cc scooter, which could impact safety and reliability.

A majority of the scooter pilots I know purchase a smaller scooter than they really want and then try to make it perform better than the manufacturer ever intended. This often leads to spending more money in the long run than buying a larger scooter in the first place. I don't know if there is a similar trend with riders in Europe and Asia as well, or if this is a uniquely American concept.
Very good points. A bigger displacement kit is not actually something I would slap into until the current engine begins to go and its time for a new one anyway. Looking through Scooterwork's website, I expected to find a 70-something cc kit, and/or maybe a pipe or two as optional upgrades... instead I found only the 90cc kit, and some performance shocks.

Was going to ask, is there a better place to look at parts online, since I have a Vespa? It seems to me that SW carries Vespa stuff, but is much more focused on other makes (esp Genuine, for appropriate reasons).
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I wouldn't sweat a larger cylinder kit on a 4T engine as much as I would on a 2T engine. Despite the added complexity of a camshaft, valves and timing chain, the 4T engines are a lot more forgiving during the tuning phase is you have your fuel-air ratio incorrect. You don't have the same worries with crank and cylinder lubrication either.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

LunaP wrote:
thatvwbusguy wrote:I would love to see some reliability and lifespan data when going from a 50cc to a 90cc big bore kit. Bolt on kits that almost double displacement sound like a good way to stress other engine internals (crankshaft, connecting rods etc.) into an untimely death.

Very good points. A bigger displacement kit is not actually something I would slap into until the current engine begins to go and its time for a new one anyway. Looking through Scooterwork's website, I expected to find a 70-something cc kit, and/or maybe a pipe or two as optional upgrades... instead I found only the 90cc kit, and some performance shocks.

Was going to ask, is there a better place to look at parts online, since I have a Vespa? It seems to me that SW carries Vespa stuff, but is much more focused on other makes (esp Genuine, for appropriate reasons).
Scooterwest might be a more Vespa-centric resource.
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

This is good news! :D
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ravenlore wrote:
LunaP wrote:Was going to ask, is there a better place to look at parts online, since I have a Vespa? It seems to me that SW carries Vespa stuff, but is much more focused on other makes (esp Genuine, for appropriate reasons).
Scooterwest might be a more Vespa-centric resource.
Scooterwest (Motorsport) and AF1 are my "go to" places for Vespa/Piaggio stuff.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Already joined MV, I see. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ericalm wrote:Already joined MV, I see. :)

:mrgreen:

I asked this over there as well... I found what seems to be a fantastic deal on crash bars. If I buy bars separately, with 3 different parts, it would cost me at least $300.

This set is $200, including the 80 dollar shipping. It's a no-drill kit, has bars for the legshield (which I have yet to find for the LX50 elsewhere), and it stainless steel, so it will stay shiny and not rust. But beyond that, I just like the look.

I can't find any indication of brand, though... does anybody know of these bars, or have any experience with the vendor (scooterrepublic.com, a UK site)?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

GAH.

Of course, cruising through CL, I find this guy... posted the same day I handed over cash for my Vespa.

I can't help but feel slightly f**ked by irony. :?

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3446252077.html
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

LunaP wrote:GAH.

Of course, cruising through CL, I find this guy... posted the same day I handed over cash for my Vespa.

Never poke at CL after making a choice, lest you get misplaced buyer's remorse. You got a Vespa for a good price it it has lots of potential. Think the happy thoughts! Besides, if you had gotten that Buddy, another sweet deal would have come along shortly afterwards.

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

az_slynch wrote:

Never poke at CL after making a choice, lest you get misplaced buyer's remorse. You got a Vespa for a good price it it has lots of potential. Think the happy thoughts! Besides, if you had gotten that Buddy, another sweet deal would have come along shortly afterwards.
This one, for example... http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3437456042.html :twisted:

Seriously, LunaP, whatever you get, puh-leez be careful out there.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

jrsjr wrote:
az_slynch wrote:

This one, for example... http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3437456042.html :twisted:

Seriously, LunaP, whatever you get, puh-leez be careful out there.
BAHahahaha, we were poking fun at that listing at breakfast before our First Sunday ride. :rofl:

It's true, the likelihood of something I would purchase showing up after deciding to buy the Vespa is just how it goes... I just felt the Universe laughing at me when I saw that, because I'd looked on and off for months for a St. Tropez... all I ever saw were Italias and Pamplonas. :roll: I love the blue tones :oops:
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Survey says... *drumroll*

... she is 'mechanically sound'!

We're doing an oil change, brake flush, replacing rollers, putting on a new rear tire and front fender, adding Vespa brand rear crash bars, a back rack, and replacing a broken left-hand brake handle and the bottom edge panels of the cowls, and the good guys at the shop are going to hammer out the big dent on the right cowl. The shocks are going to get looked at, and if the guys think I should go ahead and replace them while I'm already paying for labor, we're gonna do that too.

I think I may order the front fender crash bar, just because I feel like I won't like the look of bars only in the back. Eventually, a windscreen and top case will be put on.

I'm also seriously tempted to order that 90cc Malossi kit, because it's on sale...

I've had shit luck trying to find boots... basically, for me to get my foot in it, it has to have a zipper down the full length of the side... and most boots that do that don't have legit ankle protection, so what's the point of spending 100-200 dollars on a boot that won't protect me fully? Meh.

Also- pictures!

Her pretty self... she needs a name!
Vespa1 by Luna-P, on Flickr

The front fender is getting replaced... most of that is super glue, not scratches... but I really just don't have the arm strength or endurance to attempt scrubbing it off.
Vespa3 by Luna-P, on Flickr

Here you can see some tiny spots where the paint has flaked off and there is rust, but that's all the rust there is. Also, the bottom panel on the cowl is a little saggy bc of a broken fastener... both of those are getting replaced. Also, I have that missing panel below the seat, it's just in the glovebox atm XD
Vespa4 by Luna-P, on Flickr

And the left side... again, bottom panel is being replaced and the guys are going to hammer out the dent as much as possible.
Vespa5 by Luna-P, on Flickr

So, replacing those 3 panels will get rid of most of the scratches. I don't want /any/ scratches though... so, should I get a set of touch up paint, or go see the custom body painter we have around? What do you guys think, has anybody ever used Vespa's touch up paint, and if so, did it match as well as it is supposed to??
TVB

Post by TVB »

She looks like a fine vessel!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

LunaP wrote:So, replacing those 3 panels will get rid of most of the scratches. I don't want /any/ scratches though... so, should I get a set of touch up paint, or go see the custom body painter we have around? What do you guys think, has anybody ever used Vespa's touch up paint, and if so, did it match as well as it is supposed to??
I really think the scratched areas are too large to successfully address with touch-up paint. I think the choices are to either live with the remaining scratches or have a local shop spray the damaged panels for you after you do some initial prep. (Great looking scoot by the way!)
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Dooglas wrote:
LunaP wrote:So, replacing those 3 panels will get rid of most of the scratches. I don't want /any/ scratches though... so, should I get a set of touch up paint, or go see the custom body painter we have around? What do you guys think, has anybody ever used Vespa's touch up paint, and if so, did it match as well as it is supposed to??
I really think the scratched areas are too large to successfully address with touch-up paint. I think the choices are to either live with the remaining scratches or have a local shop spray the damaged panels for you after you do some initial prep. (Great looking scoot by the way!)
I am not sure about too large... but I've tried to touch up paint on a car before, and I'm shit at it. :oops:

I am kind of leaning towards either the custom paint, or sealing the scratches so that they don't rust, and sticking on some vinyl. I guess it really depends on what kind of design I want to put on her...
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

The pics show her to be a beauty!!!! I am so excited for you!!! Stay AWAY from THAT intersection: it has a reputation ya know. Congrats!!!!
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

LunaP

Post by LunaP »

avonpirate wrote:The pics show her to be a beauty!!!! I am so excited for you!!! Stay AWAY from THAT intersection: it has a reputation ya know. Congrats!!!!
Thank you! I've actually been driving through that intersection in my car on purpose... firstly because it's convenient, and secondly because there's no reason for it to strike fear in me. Same with scooting again, I guess. 8)